PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Ball Joints on the 99 XJ

Mudderoy
03-08-2014, 10:56 AM
I recently changed the ball joints on our 99, first time ever doing ball joint replacement. All in all pretty easy, if not a little scary with the amount of pressure required and the unknown of what might break and go flying....

What I didn't know and really feel pretty dumb is that the ball joints are not fixed into position. I mean it's a ball joint and just that name indicates there is something round involved!

Now that I know that they can move, WHY do they move? I understand the pivot points necessary for the wheel to turn but ball joints mean the caster and camber can change, correct?

Teach me, I am a sponge! :patriot:

nickyg
03-08-2014, 01:04 PM
The word "BALL" in ball joint refers to the body part you suffer damage to in the act of removing said joint.

XJ Wheeler
03-08-2014, 03:40 PM
I'm pretty sure josh's subconscious has a few words on the subject. :eek:

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

4.3LXJ
03-08-2014, 03:48 PM
Tony, the lower one has a ball in it. Hence the name. The upper one has a sliding ball so you don't have to adjust it. Joshes subconscious can fill in the rest

jimmixj
03-09-2014, 08:14 AM
Since the "C" yoke on a solid front axle is fixed, the ball joint really doesn't do anything but allow the spindle to turn for steering. Ball joints are used because the alternative is to somehow split a kingpin setup so the axle can pass thru the center, (like a closed-knuckle Toyota setup).

07Negative
03-10-2014, 04:38 PM
Did you use OEM ball joints or did you take the plunge on better ones? If so whatcha use? I'm thinking the Alloy USA ones but the synergy has a good rep as is.

Mudderoy
03-10-2014, 07:05 PM
Did you use OEM ball joints or did you take the plunge on better ones? If so whatcha use? I'm thinking the Alloy USA ones but the synergy has a good rep as is.

This was for the 99 so I went with Spicer. I need to do my 98 next, so I am entertaining suggestions of anything that will be better, stronger, faster! and less than 6 millions dollars.

Mudderoy
03-10-2014, 07:09 PM
It took them a good long time, but my oldest daughter and wife finally got it in to Firestone (which I hate) to get the alignment done.

XJ Wheeler
03-10-2014, 07:15 PM
It took them a good long time, but my oldest daughter and wife finally got it in to Firestone (which I hate) to get the alignment done.

I'm with you on Firestone. Had some less than pleasant experiences there.

Looks like they list cherokee/wagoneer on that printout for '99-'01. If anyone has one of these '99-'01 wagoneers i would thoroughly enjoy pics! :p

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

07Negative
03-11-2014, 11:30 PM
Well synergy has a great reputation for build quality. I personally ordered the Alloy USA. They're all about $200. But if you're running larger tires. It'll be worth the coin.

Mudderoy
03-12-2014, 12:45 AM
$116.20 for them on Amazon.com.

One review, bad... :(

Alloy USA 11801 Ball Joint Kit for Jeep Cherokee/Wrangler - 4 Piece : Amazon.com : Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41fRk2ehXCL.@@AMEPARAM@@41fRk2ehXCL

"I had this set installed today and the upper ones are good but the lowers are fubar. Out of the box the shaft is nice and tight but once pressed in the shaft is really really (unsafely) loose. Had to buy a set of lowers from parts store for an additional $80 :( Dunno what the deal was there,me luck of getting the set with the defective lowers. I do see other complaints about the same issue across a varying range of different vehicles though sooo.......
BTW: 97 grand cherokee ."

Mudderoy
03-12-2014, 01:07 AM
I believe I need to change these on my 98. I'm reading online about the Synergy ball joints. The Alloy USA's would be an easy choice as they are about the same price as the Spicers.

I need some more suggestions guys. 33x12.5x15 and keep in mind I'm running 10x15 with a 3.75" offset.

07Negative
03-14-2014, 02:09 PM
Just join the rest of us non conformists and get a set of Alloy USA. And in regards to the Amazon link. Oh nevermind. You shop at Walmart too ;)