View Full Version : Coolant leak and howling noise?

AnotheranotherK2
03-04-2014, 08:35 PM
Okay guys. My '99 Cherokee has been having a howling noise as I drive it since last summer. The noise gets louder almost in unison with my speed as it goes up. However, I happened to notice recently that the howling is deeper and more pronounce when I turn right. So my guess is left wheel bearing?? Anyone else had similar issues? Also, I have a coolant leak somewhere by the left side of the radiator. I have noticed it seems to leak faster during the colder months. The radiator was replaced at 100,000 miles and it currently has 143,000 miles now I usually top off the holding tank about once a week. Neither one of these is a major issue right now to me. I am hoping to address them when the weather warms up as it's pretty much too damn cold to work on anything up here in Iowa! lol Any help on pinpointing the cause of either issue would be greatly appreciated.

Brasscatz
03-04-2014, 09:12 PM
Wheel bearing is a good place to start. As for the leak, do you mean left side as in passenger side? The upper radiator hose and the petcock (drain plug) are on that side. Check them both for snugness. Could also be a split in the plastic tanks that these radiators have.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

4.3LXJ
03-04-2014, 09:12 PM
Wheel bearing sounds like a good possibility

AnotheranotherK2
03-09-2014, 03:06 PM
The leak is on the driver's side just behind the radiator somewhere it looks like. I can also confirm now that the humming noise diminishes when I'm on the brakes.

4.3LXJ
03-09-2014, 03:16 PM
Humming noise is probably the wheel bearing and a separate issue from the leak. If it changes with speed and persists when tranny is in neutral that is a dead give away