PDA

View Full Version : Need tranny help/troubleshoot

sinat
03-04-2014, 10:00 AM
ok, so i have the AX-15 in my 1999 XJ, it started acting up about a month and a half ago, and now if you try to back up, it stalls every time, when i push the clutch in, it makes a noise, almost like a metal on metal noise, anyone have any idea what would cause that? the clutch isnt 6 months old, and the pilot and throw-out bearing are new. any ideas are welcome.

4.3LXJ
03-04-2014, 10:29 AM
Does it make the noise only in reverse or in all gears?

Brasscatz
03-04-2014, 10:41 AM
Throw out bearing could have come off the fork

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

prcjeep
03-04-2014, 10:59 AM
Hmm, I also have the AX-15, they can take a lot of abuse.

Sounds like you may be having some binding up causing it to stall. Mine did something like this, sounded TERRIBLE like I though the clutch was about to explode.

Check make sure all bolts are tight between the bell housing and engine block. I had a gap on one side of about 1/8-1/4 inch. After tightening it up, all is good

sinat
03-04-2014, 09:39 PM
makes a noise everytime clutch is pushed in, whether in gear or not, all bolts were tight last i checked, ill look again when the snow melt

4.3LXJ
03-04-2014, 09:41 PM
I would guess that it is something to do with the throwout bearing. That is the usual culprit for those symptoms

sinat
03-07-2014, 10:39 AM
Well checked all bolts, everything looks good there, guess ill have to pull it this spring,

sinat
04-27-2014, 10:44 PM
well havnt pulled the transmission yet, waitin for the rebuild kit to come in, but talked to someone and they said their transmission did the same thing, the issue was the bearing wore out i guess... only way to find out is when we open it for the rebuild

bluedragon436
04-28-2014, 05:22 AM
well havnt pulled the transmission yet, waitin for the rebuild kit to come in, but talked to someone and they said their transmission did the same thing, the issue was the bearing wore out i guess... only way to find out is when we open it for the rebuild

The throwout bearing or the input bearing in the transmission?? I would think it is most likely the throwout bearing.. as I am pretty sure that it the issue with my car as well right now...

sinat
04-28-2014, 10:43 PM
dont think its the throwout bearing, thats been replaced, its the internal tranny bearings i think