PDA

View Full Version : Installing New Pilot Automotive Lights

JeepFreak
03-03-2014, 07:35 PM
So I just bought some super sweet Pilot Auto lights from Autozone for only $6 and change due to my 20 dollars off. Only problem now is how to mount them in this torrential downpour....and where. First off they look like this:

http://www.pilotautomotive.com/images/lighting/PL-820C_1.jpg

Secondly, I don't have an electric drill (cause I'm poor and can't afford it) so I can't just go drilling holes anywhere. I'm gonna run the wires through the small hole in the firewall just above the brake pedal. Wiring is easy for me, mounting isn't. I was hoping to use the holes already pre-drilled in the factory bumper but one of the holes on the top right where I need it is filled with what seems like some sort of resin type putty crap. It's the exact same for the middle of the bumper but opposite sides from the top. I don't want to mount it dead center of the bumper in case of an accident either. So, what to do? Dig through the resin until I see light? Or should I go steal a drill from someone's backyard lol (no just kidding) but seriously?

Brasscatz
03-03-2014, 08:30 PM
I would definitely try to at least borrow a drill or something. Might as well do it the right way first so you have no regrets! BTW, pawn shops can be a good place to pick up a used drill for a good price.

JeepFreak
03-03-2014, 09:16 PM
Well the pre-drilled holes are right where I want them and they are the EXACT same size as the bracket holes. Only issue is that there's a resin in one of the holes. I'm wondering if I should just punch out the resin with a nail and hammer and mount it still. It is in a perfect spot for grounding the wires as well so I'm not sure what to do.

4.3LXJ
03-03-2014, 09:42 PM
If worst comes to worst, you can bring it to my place in Durham and we can take care of it in about 30 mins

JeepFreak
03-03-2014, 10:45 PM
Yeah that might be good. I've never wired anything like this before but being that I'm in the Butte College Automotive program I thought I could take a crack at it. Of course it may be best to have someone who knows what they're doing (which I have never visually modified my XJ before save for the tires and you have). I don't want to screw it up either because this is my only vehicle. It is both DD and wheeler and if I blow something on it that makes it inoperable, I am indeed going to have a problem. I would also like to mention that I need to have this done before the 8th of March because I am traveling to the Bay Area and would like as much visibility as possible. It'll be the longest trip Red has taken since last February when I went to Sacramento.

4.3LXJ
03-03-2014, 11:16 PM
OK, let me know when you want to do it

JeepFreak
03-04-2014, 01:57 AM
OK, let me know when you want to do it

The 5th most likely. Got the whole dash unscrewed but not pulled off because of the wires attached to the inner side of it. I have to readjust the ignition switch since it is too far down for my high beams to stay on without me pushing and holding the stick in thanks to Chuck Patterson Jeep. They went in there and disconnected some stuff so it screwed up the alignment and they never screwed a few bolts back in so I have to do that too.

4.3LXJ
03-04-2014, 10:35 AM
OK. We will have to do it outside. The WJ is still in the shop and not mobile yet.

JeepFreak
03-04-2014, 12:27 PM
OK. We will have to do it outside. The WJ is still in the shop and not mobile yet.

That's fine, Red 'prefers' outside anyways. Anytime I try and park her under an overhang or in a garage she doesn't like to work for me anymore. Something stops working or she just won't start. I think she prefers the elements over the dry inside of a garage or overhang. I'll let you know tonight if tomorrow is going to be the case. My fiancee gets paid tomorrow and we're going to get some gas.

4.3LXJ
03-04-2014, 12:32 PM
OK Sounds good

JeepFreak
03-05-2014, 12:44 AM
Ok she got paid so when would a good time be to come by the shop out in Durham? I can be down there any time tomorrow. And I'm assuming you probably have everything I need?

4.3LXJ
03-05-2014, 12:49 AM
Pretty complete. What is the width of the hole for the lights?

JeepFreak
03-05-2014, 12:54 AM
5/16th inch hole in the mounting bracket for whatever you're mounting it on.

4.3LXJ
03-05-2014, 12:58 AM
Oh, I see. I thought we would be cutting a hole in the bumper. No problem. Come by at noon. 1731 Hyer Ct. Durham. Go down the driveway. House on the right by gate. Lots of Jeeps and stuff here

520-5298

JeepFreak
03-05-2014, 01:11 AM
We may have to but I am unsure. You'll see the situation when I get there. Like I said, there's already pre-drilled holes in the bumper but one of them is filled with a resin. May have to drill it back out.

Noon. I'll be there.