PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Dana 44 front axle swap.

Andrew XJ
02-28-2014, 10:47 PM
I was wondering what modifications would be needed to run a d44 from a dodge?

I was told that i dont have to move the spring perches, I.was also told someone sells a kit to mount a dodge dana 44 in a cherokee but I cant find one.

The axle is out of a 98 dodge and is going olin a 99 xj. I chose this axle because it is cheap and my junk yard has.tones of them so i can get axle shafts easly and cheap.

4.3LXJ
02-28-2014, 10:52 PM
Refresh my memory Andrew. Which side is that differential pumpkin on, driver or passenger?

Andrew XJ
02-28-2014, 10:55 PM
I'm almost certain driver side.

bluedragon436
02-28-2014, 10:56 PM
Where are you located in SC Andrew??

Andrew XJ
02-28-2014, 10:57 PM
North Augusta

bluedragon436
02-28-2014, 10:58 PM
I'm almost certain driver side.

It is in fact drivers side pumpkin

Andrew XJ
02-28-2014, 10:59 PM
I thought so I just couldn't remember exactly pretty sure all Dodge and Jeep drop off on drivers side.

bluedragon436
02-28-2014, 11:03 PM
I only remember cause I helped a friend install a lunchbox locker in his Ram, as well as replace the axle seals...

bluedragon436
02-28-2014, 11:05 PM
North Augusta

I would say contact one of the many off road shops between Columbia and Lugoff.. I know there is one in downtown Columbia now (Carolina Fabrication & Suspension (http://www.cfsoffroad.com)) that there are quite a few folks online talking good things about them.. see what they might charge to throw one in for you... Wouldn't think it should cost too much honestly...

Andrew XJ
02-28-2014, 11:08 PM
I don't have the funds to take it to a shop besides I prefer to do all the work on my Jeep hands on and myself . I am very good at doing stuff like this me and my brother SAS and diesel swaped his Bronco

bluedragon436
02-28-2014, 11:34 PM
Yeah I am the same way... well at least for as much stuff as I am able to do myself.. I need and want to learn how to fabricate and weld... then I'll be happy, and even more eager to try more and more... Can't wait to get to another build, so I can try and learn myself more.. I can't wait to get back down to SC either, where people aren't wanting an arm and a leg for rigs, and parts can be found at a PNP somewhere (and there are plenty of them) in the state...

4.3LXJ
02-28-2014, 11:38 PM
Not all Dodges are driver side. I had one that was passenger side. Had a D70 front. But anyway, you will have to do some welding to make it work. There are no full kits for this axle. But you can buy the pieces for it. You will need coil buckets and link brackets. You might find a truss to go over the top of the pumpkin to weld the top link bracket to, but doubtful.

gary63
03-01-2014, 08:49 AM
4.3LXJ is right dodges do have them on ether side I just got reid of one that was on the passenger side. But if you do the swop do a wright up becouse I'm been thinking about the same thing sence I have 3 dana 44 out of dodge trucks. I have been saving them to put one in a Ram Charger when I find a good one. the other for parts. Not sher about the new dodge trucks the old one had leaf springs pads witch need to be cut off and the shock post too. As for the truss there is a Co. that does make one I don't remember who but if I find them I will post it as for every thing als coil spring pads other things people make them or you can. But if you pick up one get the one with manule hub not the one with out hubs. The ones with manule hubs have bigger wheel bearing and bearing nut and locking nut.