PDA

View Full Version : Death Wobble can of worms

FlHoundDog
02-27-2014, 07:57 PM
I hate to open a can of worms but I need to.
Details first:
1993 Jeep Cherokee Country, 2dr, 2 wd, 31 in tires, rough country 2 in lift.

VIOLENT wobble after hitting bump or hole at 45 mph or more.

I have a read a bunch and I keep seeing "balance your tires" but there is no tire vibration, so this seems stupid, except there must be something to it if it is posted that often, right???

Seems another often posted answer is the steering damper.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

4.3LXJ
02-27-2014, 10:03 PM
The most common problem is a worn track bar bushing. But to nail it down have someone saw the steering wheel back and forth. Nothing at any of the attachment points should be moving relative to what it attaches to. Whatever is loose, has to be fixed to cure it

Cheromaniac
02-28-2014, 05:25 AM
I've experienced death wobble twice in the lifetime of my Jeep and that's with a stock suspension.
The first time was more than a decade ago and the cause was a leaking steering damper. I replaced it and didn't have any more death wobble again until a few months ago when I hit a pothole at about 50mph. I thought the culprit might have been the steering damper again but it looked fine and there was no leak. Knowing that a track bar issue is a common cause of death wobble, I took a closer look and discovered that the track bar ball joint was worn and had excessive play, so I replaced the track bar and the Jeep's been fine ever since. The new track bar also cured the vague steering feel that I'd been experiencing for a few months.

FlHoundDog
02-28-2014, 06:01 AM
Thanks, good info. I checked out your build WOW! Awesome. Love the stroker build.

Hopkins
02-28-2014, 07:20 AM
This write up is long and also is for the JK, but it is the most complete write up I have ever come across about DW and how to cure it. Here ya go: http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30723

prcjeep
02-28-2014, 12:53 PM
Check your track bar, Bushing on axle side and TRE on frame side, Have some else turn the wheel back and forth about 1/4 - 1/2 turn and visually inspect both sides of the track bar and then look at all other TREs.

Also if you tires are worn irregularly, that will add to the factors that cause DW.

FlHoundDog
02-28-2014, 09:46 PM
Thanks all. Great advice. Swapped out steering damper today, it was clearly blown. Might just be a piece of the puzzle, but it's a start. I will go through the rest of the front end this w/e and give it a proper test run.
Thanks again

slvmart
03-01-2014, 04:34 AM
Don't forget about your alignment, once you have all the wear issues taken care of on the front end. Usually caster, if I recall correctly.

Mudderoy
03-01-2014, 06:07 AM
I hate to open a can of worms but I need to.
Details first:
1993 Jeep Cherokee Country, 2dr, 2 wd, 31 in tires, rough country 2 in lift.

VIOLENT wobble after hitting bump or hole at 45 mph or more.

I have a read a bunch and I keep seeing "balance your tires" but there is no tire vibration, so this seems stupid, except there must be something to it if it is posted that often, right???

Seems another often posted answer is the steering damper.

Any thoughts?
Thanks

4.3lxj talks about death wobble in this Jeep Tips! segment. :link: (http://www.xjtalkshow.com/index.php/2014/02/ep-117-jeep-tips-segment-death-wobble/)

XJ Wheeler
03-01-2014, 10:25 AM
Yep, an alignment fixed mine. When is the last time it was aligned, before or after the lift?

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

FlHoundDog
03-03-2014, 01:56 PM
Planning on checking that this w/e Thanks.

FlHoundDog
03-03-2014, 02:01 PM
I bought it in September. It was a basket case of electrical glitches, the typical cooling system problems and some small rust problems. But really good bones to work with. I finally have that all squared away so I am moving on. It just got a lift kit not long before I bought it. SO it might not have had an alignment ever. It doesn't pull or appear to be wearing the tires oddly... But after I finish going through front end I will.
Thanks