PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Rocco83!!!

cantab27
02-26-2014, 08:44 PM
Hi Rocco83, :welcome: to the :xjtalk: forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Be sure and check out our XJ TALK SHOW! (http://podcasts.xjtalk.com) It\'s about Cherokees! It\'s like a radio talk show, but from the Internet.

Check out our sister sites, http://www.WranglerTalk.com/ and http://www.di-dah-dit.com/

Rocco83
02-26-2014, 08:55 PM
Hello hello. I just purchased my first XJ last night, a wonderful 98 Cherokee Sport. The vehicle has spent its life in Ohio and somehow has no rust. Currently it is not running as the motor is bad. I have a crate 4.0L I plan on throwing in this upcoming week. It will most likely remain stock for awhile as I'm in between jobs and don't have the money to do with it what I have planned for awhile. It will be the first time I've pulled an engine and thrown a new one in so we shall see.

I've previously had a 63 CJ5 that I bought, built, and busted. Same with a 94 YJ. Time to have me some unibody fun :)

4.3LXJ
02-26-2014, 08:57 PM
Welcome. One thing about the unibody, they keep the weather out better. A definite plus in my book

Rocco83
02-26-2014, 09:03 PM
I plan on keeping mine not hacked up as well. I do foresee around 8" of lift with some 37's, but other than the lift and bigger tires I don't plan on getting too crazy with the looks. I see a lot of people start with XJ's and they end up looking like buggies. If you want a buggy build a buggy is the way I see it. Love the design of an XJ and want to let that be the star.

4.3LXJ
02-26-2014, 09:12 PM
8" is a pretty fair amount of lift for an XJ, but can be done. I run that much

Rocco83
02-26-2014, 09:28 PM
It will be awhile, but I'm going to start saving my pennies. It will get there.

4.3LXJ
02-26-2014, 09:53 PM
That is the way it is for all of us. But when you do, save up for steering upgrades also. 8" is too much for the stock tie rod ends to handle. I have a high steer on mine which helps a bunch. But track bar fabrication is needed even for that set up.

XJ Wheeler
02-27-2014, 07:57 AM
How does it not have rust?!?! Mine came from Iowa, and wasn't so lucky. :bang:

Sounds like its gonna be a nice clean build. I agree about the buggy logic, and cant stand seeing a rig and the only thing left recognizable is the hood. Although, I can see doing it if its been rolled or trashed so much the body looks horrible.

Anyway, welcome to xjtalk! If you have any questions with that upcoming motor swap, feel free to ask, there is a few people on here that have done so.

EekGirl96
02-27-2014, 08:01 AM
Welcome to the forum!!! Cant wait to see your build, and I agree, I think that having a buggy that actually looks like the original vehicle it started out as is better looking than one big frankenstine mess

My XJ came from michigan, she was rusted pretty bad so your lucky to get one that isnt!!

Rocco83
02-27-2014, 11:58 PM
I haven't the slightest how it has no body rust. I did find a little creeping on the frame. I've got a buddy who's a pipe fitter that's going to bring over a welder and some extra steel to patch things up.

Also lucking out on the engine swap. My uncle is a mechanic and he quit his job to be a stay at home dad. He's going to bring over his rug rats and walk me through the process. We shall see how it goes. Have a boat I'm restoring taking up the bulk of my garage now. Should be finished on Sunday and I'll be moving the Jeep in Monday. Hoping to have the swap done by Wednesday and have it out on the road.

4.3LXJ
02-28-2014, 11:03 AM
Wow, great family and friends

Rocco83
02-28-2014, 02:11 PM
Wow, great family and friends

We take care of each other. Besides, when the government takes everything away all we'll have left is friends and family. Might as well start banking favors now.