PDA

View Full Version : Grill guard on factory bumper?

sbspence
02-25-2014, 10:11 PM
2001 XJ. Is there a bolt on grill guard or hoop with light tabs etc? That simply bolt onto to the stock bumper? I'm bit finding any after market bumpers that like as well as the factory look. Besides I'd like to add the stock fog lights, and factory tow hooks in their stock positions. Again I just like the look I'd just like a front guard or hoop for a little more aggressive appearance. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluedragon436
02-25-2014, 10:54 PM
Are you looking for a full brush guard, like the one that has the headlight guards,
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2041/2721/30101360011_large.jpg?v=0

or just the push bar style??
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/1662/3461/4154230042_medium.jpg

4.3LXJ
02-25-2014, 11:27 PM
You might look at some of these

sbspence
02-26-2014, 04:54 AM
Exactly! I like both of those. I like the way the hoop incorperates a hitch. So...where do I find them?

4.3LXJ
02-26-2014, 10:33 AM
Sorry, link didn't show up.

http://www.quadratec.com/categories/jeep_bumpers_towing_racks/default_cherokee.php

ParadiseXJ
02-26-2014, 05:29 PM
I'll throw in my two cents, just cause...and they're just my opinions, nothing more.

The "bull bar" or hoop in post #2 I would consider. I believe the front hitch receiver is separate (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). The tow hooks that you want all should mount to the same bumper mount hole with additional holes in the uni-frame rails. You won't find a decent set-up that "simply mounts to the front bumper". That would set you up for a catastrophic fail if you ever put any stress on it.

Tow hooks REALLY need to tie in to the rails with lo-o-ong bracing. If you're trying to yank another vehicle (or YOUR truck) /out of a ditch, snowbank or sticky mud (or all of the above) with something just attached with a couple bolts to the cheap-o stamped stock bumper...you'll be losing a bumper and/or taking somebody's head off. So, it neeed to be as strong...or stronger than even a trailer hitch.

The bull bar (or even the brush guard) is the weakest link of all 3 accessories. Some do in fact just bolt to the bumper, some just bolt to the first two bumper mounting holes. If you really want the bull bar to be "functional" (used for pushing) it should be tied in to the other components.

Some careful measuring will allow you to set them all up together and just run one long grade 8 or stronger bolt through (that's one bolt PER HOLE)the whole set-up (hitch, hook brackets, bull bar).

Also, be advised that MOST bull bars are just thin wall tube and will dent (or dimple, crush or crumple) with really the slight whack from a rock or another bumper. As far as the "brush guard" look...not my cup of tea, like stingers and look like shirt on an XJ...it's still just my opinion. I certainly would not pay 400 or 600 bucks just for a relatively useless piece of tubing which only redeeming quality is fog light tabs.

Again, you have to do what YOU want with your money, but for all that I'd invest in a good winch bumper with a 8-9K winch and d-rings (if I had the cash).

sbspence
02-26-2014, 09:10 PM
Steve I looked thoroughly through Qtec and everything I found was an add on to the aftermarket bumper.

ParadiseXJ you make a valid point. The hoop would only be for decoration and the light mounting tabs at this point, but, it throwing good money after bad right now. I'm going to stick with the factory tow hook set up and the factory fog set up and call it good for now. I DO eventually want to get a winch/rock bumper set up ,but I haven't fount any that I like yet. They all look "unfinished " at the corners to my eyes. When you remove the wrap around corners on the front and back of the newer body style XJ it detracts from the finished look IMHO. I'm definitely getting a winch as well. I've w Ted one my entire life and I'm getting up there in age so now or never! ;). The prices have dropped so dramatically since I was shopping for them in the early 2000's that it a real no brainer now! I also like the tire on the bumper mount to free up storage space inside. I've always liked the ARB set ups but looks like about a 2000-2500 set up by the time you get the winch and all the goodies. 0.0. I have a LOT of others needs before I start on those kind of "wants".

It's just tough to keep my enthusiasm in check at this point as I've wanted one if these things for 20yrs and I want it all done at once! ;). I've made great progress in the past month or so of ownership ,but I have a long way to go considering this rig has 150k on the odometer. I would really like to get all through the mechanicals so it's a reasonable DD before getting TOO radical on design change.

Thanks for the input.

4.3LXJ
02-26-2014, 09:14 PM
I googled "cherokee grill guard" and got a ton of hits from various manufacturers. Sensory overload really. Try clicking on the images section. Most of those pics are linked to vendors web pages

sbspence
02-26-2014, 09:49 PM
Ok. Duh. I always forget the obvious. I just thought maybe someone would chime in that had firsthand experience but it doesn't look like a popular option on here. I hah a couple on my TJS but they were tied right into the frame with grade 8 bolts.... so they were a different animal completely than the unibodies. The other poster brought up a valid point that I had neglected to think through on the mounting points. So I've about talked myself out of one now. I will check out an image search to sate my curiousity though thanks.

4.3LXJ
02-26-2014, 09:51 PM
Yeah, you are right. None of us have them because they all pretty much tie into the stock bumper and are there just for looks. If you look around you might find one that ties into the frame

msmoorenburg
02-27-2014, 07:25 AM
Keep in mind the brush guard / hoop has no structural connections aka it's just for looks. Its main purpose for me is to keep that pesky tree branch off the headlights/radiator. soooo here is my setup

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m639/sellitx/97%20Jeep/20140104_135502_zpsfhja2mgt.jpg (http://s1135.photobucket.com/user/sellitx/media/97%20Jeep/20140104_135502_zpsfhja2mgt.jpg.html)

sbspence
02-27-2014, 10:43 AM
Yep looks beefy! I found one I really like on Trail Ready .com it's similar to your set up and is plenty stout. Now to save up the greenbacks to exchange for it. Yikes.

XJ Wheeler
03-01-2014, 12:06 PM
If you just want some way to mount up some lights, check out Detours light bar.

http://www.detoursusa.com/bumperbrow.php

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.