PDA

View Full Version : Bought(lifted)not built. Lift question...

JTrowww
02-25-2014, 07:05 AM
Alright so like it says... I bought my XJ lifted and didn't put it together myself but here is my issue.

My rear end is sagging probably about an inch-1.5" or so which I understand is common.
But he claimed it has 4.5" all the way around running procomp shocks
4.5" coils in the front but I'm not 100% what's going on in the rear... Maybe 2.5" springs with 2" shackles? I have NO clue or experience with leaf spring lifts

I'm posting some hack job pictures maybe someone with the experience could look at it and immediately see what might be going on... He also claimed the mount brackets for the rear shocks has been moved on the axle(can anyone verify that by the picture?)

Probably all Newby questions, just trying to fix all the issues before Indiana weather gets nice so I can take a wheeling trip in it!

Should also note at this point I'm debating just pulling the lift kit, adjustable control arms and ends off and buying a new complete kit just so I know I installed it and know exactly what is under it instead of making posts like this and sounding stupid...

Can see it sagging(our driveway is fairly level)

https://fbcdn-photos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/t1/1653487_660237927368713_1654873770_n.jpg

Are these shackle spacers or wth am I looking at..?

https://fbcdn-photos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1926936_660237824035390_899716714_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-photos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1959426_660237744035398_460848045_n.jpg

And does this all look right goin on the axle? The leafs look appropriate or anything look strange...?

https://fbcdn-photos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1958157_660237727368733_1003277644_n.jpg

ANY feeback, answers, things to look for or look at would all be greatly appreciated! And please bear with my newb-ness

jimmixj
02-25-2014, 07:17 AM
Nice lookin XJ! That is definitely a lift shackle; the OEM part is formed sheet metal and shorter. Looks like u have a bit of sag in the leafs is all. There are numerous posts in this forum as to building bastard packs to get some lift or u could purchase an add-a-leaf that would probably give u the lift u r looking for. All in all it looks good!

slvmart
02-25-2014, 08:00 AM
Much of what you decide to do will probably have to do with what kind of ride you expect to get out of your XJ. To me, other than the extended shackle, it appears that there is a wedge added to the axle mount. That decreases the angle between the axle pinion and the transfer case. You may also be able to get longer shackles to increase the lift. I've found, that as far as I'm concerned, that new leaf springs are a much better ride than either spacers or add a leafs. But that's simply just my opinion. :smiley-bounce015:

I always have a lot of questions, but to me not asking the question can make you look a lot dumber than to ask it. :mock:

JTrowww
02-25-2014, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the quick replies.

Okay so I've looked at the bastard packs and AAL to understand what that's all about.
But I'm kid of thinking it doesn't seem to be too awfully expensive to just yank the rear lift and replace it with 4.5" springs for a couple hundred bucks.

So that raises some other questions if obviously I have shackle spacers should I hunt down stock ones or do new springs mount in place of the shackle lift?

What exactly appears to be wedged? The leaf pack or the shocks? Right now I have no driveline vibration so I guess if I replace the springs I may have to address that issue lol.

I guess to me it just seems more logical in the long run to just spend the $250-$300 on 4.5" leafs and set it up right... The front end appears to be almost all still fairly new, how do you measure shackle lift? Measure form bolt hole to bolt hole? Perhaps it's all shackle lift in the rear and the leafs were never changed.

I'm firm believer if it ain't broke don't fix it so since the front end is golden for now I'll probably just re do the rear end in 4.5" the other option was pull the entire kit and go 6.5" on a complete kit so I know every piece and bolt going on underneath.

abebehrmann
02-25-2014, 09:00 AM
I'm still fairly new at this too, but I'll give my 2cents.
It looks like your shock mounts have been moved up, usually they hang down below the axle about an inch more. At least the ones on my Dana 35 do.

From what I understand about shackle lift;
Lift=(extended shackle length-stock shackle length)/2, but will vary slightly due to different shackle angles. Stock length is slightly over 3'' (eye to eye) according to this link (http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=970577). So say your extended shackles are 5 inches eye to eye, your shackle lift would be approximately (5''-3'')/2=1''

It does look like you have at least an add-a-leaf already back there, all the stock leaf packs I've seen have 4 leaves and it looks like you have 5.

4.3LXJ
02-25-2014, 09:45 AM
It is hard for me to tell from the pic. I need a pic of the whole spring, but it looks like an add a leaf with an extended shackle. The short blunt leaf in the tapered leaves gave it away for me. But it is kind of hard to tell for sure in the pic. So, if you want to straighten that up, you could do it cheaply with an S10 bastard pack and probably have a nicer ride by using your existing shackle and the bottom three leaves from an S10 rear leaf spring

JTrowww
02-25-2014, 11:55 AM
Okay so hypothetically speaking if we scrapped the idea of trying to figure out what's going on or building a bastard pack,

What all is needed to redo the rear lift? Could I get away with ordering say a set off 3" springs and a nice set of grease able 1.5" shackles?

Or just a replacement set of stock height shackles and 4.5" springs?

Or are there more parts to it that I'm missing? Because $300 or so re do the rear end seems kinda cheap for all brand new parts.

The shocks being relocated would I be wise to keep those since I know they work with how it's setup?

I'm almost tempted to go bastard pack route just as the cheaper alternative without replacing to much, I'm afraid with what's on there working for now if I replace to much I may run into other issues(I.e driveline vibration or something that currently isn't an issue)

4.3LXJ
02-25-2014, 12:48 PM
We have a thread on here for solving driveline vibs. That is easy to remedy and if you use any wedges in the bottom of your existing spring that will probably take care of it.

JTrowww
02-25-2014, 02:40 PM
Welp... Y'all have def helped me learn a few things today to say the least.

But a little funny I thought... Was very close to ordering new components(which I may do anyway because I like the idea of springs and smaller shackles over AAL's and big shackles.)

I went and did several measurements at work on true flat ground before I just started ordering stuff. And if you go to my top picture I posted what appears to be rear end sag we are pretty sure is an optical illusion and that if it is really sagging it is maybe 1/4 lower than the front

But notice if you pay attention in the top picture(and I never noticed until now) the fender flares are what make it appear to be sagging when in reality hey are just about 2" higher placed in the front because of clearance cut fenders :bang:

So the higher flare line in the front makes it look like the back is sitting about 1.5" lower

Welp I feel kinda dumb... This is why I like knowing exactly what's underneath something but still may go ahead and order 3.5" springs with 1" shackles

After looking underneath it appears right now to have 3" shackles(they are about 6" from bolt to bolt so guessing about 3 over factory 3 divided by 2 give or take 3") with an AAL and about a .5 spacer plate/wedge? (Better picture to follow):rolleye0012:

4.3LXJ
02-25-2014, 03:36 PM
Stock shackle is about 4". So your shackle is a 1" lift

JTrowww
02-25-2014, 03:58 PM
Stock shackle is about 4". So your shackle is a 1" lift

Oh right on! Thanks, every where I read said stocks were about 3 or 3.25 but heck idk I don't have stocks to look at(plus now looking at my math even by that what I said was wrong it would have been 1.5" by what I read... Don't pay attention to why in the heck I would have said 3" -__-)

4.3LXJ
02-25-2014, 04:00 PM
Easy mistake. There is after all a slider system available that no one uses that actually takes away lift I think. No biggie