PDA

View Full Version : hvac vent problems

sexjay
02-18-2014, 09:06 PM
not sure if this is the right place for this but o well. also don't know if this has already been talked about...but..

my problem is with the vent selector, when I switch it to the feet position it only blows on the windshield, absolutely nothing comes out of the bottom. it will switch to the front dash vents though. but right when I put it on the feet selection it blows on the windshield. I don't like my feet being cold! lol anything will help thanks!

JeepFreak
02-18-2014, 09:17 PM
Check your vacuum seals. There's a vacuum controlled vent on the bottom right (at least there is in my 94) which can be clearly seen opening and closing depending on fan speed and CC setting. Check to see that it opens, if not, your vacuum is bad and it won't direct the flow of air.

sexjay
02-18-2014, 09:22 PM
I will look for that..is it inside the vehicle? on passenger side?

JeepFreak
02-18-2014, 09:27 PM
I will look for that..is it inside the vehicle? on passenger side?

Yes. Front right passenger, underneath the glove box. Looks like a rod going into an ovalish type 'pump'. If you want to see if it works, remove the vacuum hose that connects to it and see if it opens or closes. If not (or if it's already closed) try turning the car on and cycling the Climate Controls until it opens. If it still doesn't open, you may need to replace the vacuum.

JeepFreak
02-18-2014, 09:33 PM
I believe it is called a 'blend door'. There's a hose that gets it's vacuum from the controls in the dash that attach to the climate control module. It's pretty distinguishable. Either side might be broken so you have to check from both ends.

sexjay
02-18-2014, 09:34 PM
awesome man thanks a lot ill look into this tomorrow!

JeepFreak
02-18-2014, 09:36 PM
awesome man thanks a lot ill look into this tomorrow!

Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

4.3LXJ
02-18-2014, 10:35 PM
not sure if this is the right place for this but o well. also don't know if this has already been talked about...but..

my problem is with the vent selector, when I switch it to the feet position it only blows on the windshield, absolutely nothing comes out of the bottom. it will switch to the front dash vents though. but right when I put it on the feet selection it blows on the windshield. I don't like my feet being cold! lol anything will help thanks!

The vent controls are operated by vacuum and remain in the default position, defrosr, if there is not enough vacuum to operate them. Generally the first place to look for leaks is the vacuum reservoir located behind the right front bumper.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

ParadiseXJ
02-21-2014, 12:22 PM
The vent controls are operated by vacuum and remain in the default position, defrosr, if there is not enough vacuum to operate them. Generally the first place to look for leaks is the vacuum reservoir located behind the right front bumper.

The problem with the vacuum is very common and is ALMOST always the issue. The vac system for the HVAC is all on the passenger side of the Jeep and has little to do with the way the Jeep is running...unless...the SOURCE vacuum at the manifold or the check valve is compromised.

Check all the vacuum lines in the diagram below. Check for cracks, bad connections, rubs and rotted lines. If you do find a break in a line replace the line. "Fixing" it with duct tape or the like will only rear it's ugly head again and bulk vacuum line is dirt cheap.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u196/chasdwitt/Vacballrouting_zps612d869c.jpg (http://s168.photobucket.com/user/chasdwitt/media/Vacballrouting_zps612d869c.jpg.html)