View Full Version : Like Christmas Again!

Infidel Edition
02-13-2014, 09:22 AM
Not just the snow

But the boxes started coming in... to my work address

New Oil Pump (the parts store only had 1 listing = high volume)

Gaskets, Bearings, push rods, lifters, rings...
...Oddly, they sent the push rods in a giant box with "filler" and inside was 2 boxes with 6 rods in each? :rolleye0012:

and the head gasket / exhaust n intake gasket from my initial "gotta swap out that head gasket" hair...

And I pick up my rebuilt head at the machine shop tomorrow! :patriot:

After the engine = finishing the front lift ... pic's to follow.
:smiley-chores003: and I just put in to take all of next week off :rolleyes: and failed to share that info with the wife.
= gonna go hang in my dad's garage vs. going to work :cheerleader:

NW99XJ
02-13-2014, 09:39 AM
and I just put in to take all of next week off :rolleyes: and failed to share that info with the wife.
Nicely played sir!

Infidel Edition
02-19-2014, 09:29 PM
PITA!
pulled everything off the top and did the motor under the manifolds...
had to use a rubber mallet and FOREVER to get the oil pan free! and then put the stands under the rail and drop the axle to get it out.
the heavy duty head gasket didn't have the water openings... so I dremelled them in.
old head bolts were a different socket than the new... had to hunt for 1 with a big enough opening to use it on the stud bolts....
** why are there stud bolts anyway? strong her than non stud bolts?
wish I would have cut an inch off the upper end of the stud closest to the firewall... PITA getting the socket and torque wrench on it!

looked like rusty mud under the head... clean now.
3 day talie =
driver side motor mount
newly rebuilt head
new head and exhaust gaskets
new rocker assemblies and push rods
new oil pan gasket / new high flow oil pump
oil filter bracket gaskets and rings
also changed the knock sensor and oil pressure sender and the temp sensor on the head
and new coolant / oil / plugs...

fail = lifters ... how the F do they come out other than turning the block over! and my lift hone would never have fit.
didn't do the rings either. cylinders looked fine... and I was spent on other issues.
...thus I didn't do the bearings either. have everything on hand should I get a wild hair down the road.

epic fail...
the new mounts raised the engine a good 2" and the exhaust manifold didn't line up.
heap, pulling it really hard to get it in place broke the welds = need to change that now!

other than that IT RUNS LIKE A DREAM.
least for the 30 minutes I ran it...

Brasscatz
02-19-2014, 10:05 PM
Dang that's a lot of work! Tip on the lifters that may work for ya... one of those little telescopic magnets that helps you fish tools out of your engine bay may help.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

Infidel Edition
02-20-2014, 08:14 AM
Dang that's a lot of work! Tip on the lifters that may work for ya... one of those little telescopic magnets that helps you fish tools out of your engine bay may help.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

thanks...
all back together though.
and other than the exhaust, it runs great. so it'll be a while till I pull it apart again.

though I did have a redneck moment for the head = $h!+ton heavy.and with a lift on my jeep it was already chest height.
I hooked a tie-down strap over a garage rafter and sinched it out/& backed the new one in.

bluedragon436
02-20-2014, 08:19 AM
Nicely done on all accounts!!! I will def agree with the PITA to pull the head, especially in a lifted XJ.... did it when pulling an old engine in an XJ to get to that stupid torx bolt at the top of the trans.. think it would have been easier/smarter to just fight for that bolt instead of fighting that behemoth head!!

NW99XJ
02-20-2014, 09:30 AM
I'm trying to figure out how the new motor mounts lifted the engine 2" ...to my knowledge, even the "lift" options for motor mounts for the XJ's only net 1" at most...

bluedragon436
02-20-2014, 09:32 AM
Old worn out suckers had it sitting 1" lower, and then he got the 1" lift mounts?... only thing I can come up with...

Infidel Edition
02-20-2014, 09:52 AM
2" is just a guess...
The old mount was more than worn = 2 pieces = without the upper bracket, if I hit a bump the engine would have left...
The new mount is stock, and was just higher than the old.
Eyeball guess was 2", but maybe only 1.25" + the sag on the old exhaust sitting for a couple days...
So closest to the fire wall manifold bolt was a good 2" higher than I could muscle with my arm pulling up.
I should have put a jack under and pushed it up vs. a tiedown over a rafter to pull it up = ordered a new manifold from rock auto for $168 (with shipping and another gasket)

xj4life2
02-20-2014, 10:23 AM
:smiley-chores003: and I just put in to take all of next week off :rolleyes: and failed to share that info with the wife.

Just hopin you made arrangements to sleep there as well....:rolleye0012:

Infidel Edition
02-20-2014, 09:05 PM
Just hopin you made arrangements to sleep there as well....:rolleye0012:

left everyday at the normal work time (went to the gym) and the to my dads house till an hour before I normally got home = cleaned up / took a shower / put on clean cloths

:bacondance:

I don't normally park where she would see it... so she didn't even know it was gone

Infidel Edition
02-21-2014, 05:04 PM
Here's the motor mount...