PDA

View Full Version : New Trans mount when installing transfer case drop!

sbspence
02-09-2014, 10:33 PM
I'm getting a 1" tfer case drop installed Tuesday and my question is should I get the transmission mount and have it replaced while he is in there? Idk the r/r details on whether the Trans mount is right there and will be out and disturbed anyway?

I tried to search for this but the tapatalk app search isn't great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XJ Wheeler
02-09-2014, 10:45 PM
The process of installing a t-case drop doesn't technically mess with the trans mount but you are doing some of the work already. A quick look at the mount will tell you if it needs replacement, it may not. Although if its original it probably does and cheap insurance but not much more work to do later either. I would just give it a look to make the decision. If its bad it will have collapsed some and the rubber will be soft.

sbspence
02-09-2014, 10:49 PM
Ok thanks. I may pick up an oem replacement to have handy and just return it if not needed since I need the Jeep back up and running that day. :)
PS. I dunno how to do a thanks thumbs up on posts from tapatalk app does anyone else?

Brasscatz
02-09-2014, 10:57 PM
Ok thanks. I may pick up an oem replacement to have handy and just return it if not needed since I need the Jeep back up and running that day. :)
PS. I dunno how to do a thanks thumbs up on posts from tapatalk app does anyone else?

From my phone I just tap the post I want to thank and it gives me the option. Tapatalk 2, I believe it is

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

XJ Wheeler
02-09-2014, 11:02 PM

Good plan, that way you don't have to make a frantic run to the parts store. :D

Like Jim said just tap the post like you would to quote. I've found sometimes its finicky and doesn't work though.

sbspence
02-14-2014, 04:04 PM
Did NOT need one thank God!($102 at local parts stores). The tfer drop went silky smooth although the crossmember has taken a pretty good hit at one time and has a heck of a dent! Decel vibes are gone still having some minor ones during accel but not sure if bad enough to worry about.

4.3LXJ
02-14-2014, 05:17 PM
Sounds like you are getting it ironed out

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

XJ Wheeler
02-14-2014, 08:29 PM
Did NOT need one thank God!($102 at local parts stores). The tfer drop went silky smooth although the crossmember has taken a pretty good hit at one time and has a heck of a dent! Decel vibes are gone still having some minor ones during accel but not sure if bad enough to worry about.

Wow! $102!!! I got mine for $32 at autozone and that's with a lifetime warranty.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

sbspence
02-14-2014, 09:00 PM
Yeah apparently they were different in 01 and maybe 00. Otherwise they're dirt cheap. :(. Anyone wanna trade a 99 for an 01? Lol

XJ Wheeler
02-14-2014, 09:32 PM
Yeah apparently they were different in 01 and maybe 00. Otherwise they're dirt cheap. :(. Anyone wanna trade a 99 for an 01? Lol

Ahhh, okay. That sucks but good thing you didn't need it then!

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Brasscatz
02-14-2014, 11:49 PM
I had no clue they were different.... that's odd

sbspence
02-14-2014, 11:57 PM
Apparently the 01 and maybe 00 IIRC the exhaust is routed next to and mounted to tfer case crossmember so the mount is offset compared to earlier models. Apparently it's a little known fact even among some aftermarket manufacturers. The earlier ones can be made to work but not without modification enough to scare me off. I like plug and play where possible! ;)

Brasscatz
02-15-2014, 04:56 PM
Are you talking about the bolt studs that go through the crossmember being offset? Mine are on my 97

sbspence
02-15-2014, 09:12 PM
"By Michael Yates - May 19, 2013
Amazon Verified Purchase
The other two reviews on this item mention how this mount is not offset. This is correct, if you cross reference this mount on the Daystar website it shows that its a TJ mount but works for some XJ's. No offset. You need the big red offset one if the exhaust bracket that mounts to the transmission is under the transmission mount flange. The mount listed here requires that the mount is out to the right of the flange. Another problem is that the mounting bracket has alignmnet nipple on it. The mount does not line up with this. You'll have to reem out the mount's alignment hole to get it to sit flush. If you do not it will tilt the drivetrian to the left. Also, do not replace a rubber mount with this unless you like vibrations. This puppy is unforgiving and transmitts everything into the body. And remember to torque your crossmember to the correct spec or it will cause body popping during unibody flex."

That's is from Amazon and every reasonably priced mount I found had listings from 84-01 XJs. So yeah the bolts are offset and cant everything to one side. Maybe it's a 97-01 thing? Luckily mine was in good shape.