PDA

View Full Version : Storage boxes?

Pookapotamus
01-31-2014, 05:03 PM
So I am looking at building storage boxes for the back if Mortis, was planning on using mdf but thinking further on it I'm not sure if it's a good choice, if it gets wet it's buggered!

So my question is what else can I use??? Any thoughts?

XJ Wheeler
02-03-2014, 10:24 AM
I like the idea of using aluminum but that's a fair bit more money and work.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Brasscatz
02-03-2014, 12:54 PM
I'm liking the carbon fiber approach, but realistically wood covered in vinal or even fiberglass if you have the ability.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

nickyg
02-03-2014, 01:01 PM
Cardboard covered in aluminum foil.
But Seriously, Ply wood. Cheap, plentiful, easy to work with and easy to Tweak design changes.

NW99XJ
02-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Agreed on the wood... doesnt matter if its ply or MDF.... I would prob opt for ply, as it will be lighter and less expensive.
When your done, coat the whole thing in either fiberglass resin, or bed liner, (inside and out).....
This will create a durable, long lasting, impermeable coating, essentially making it oil/water/gas/alien/ninja resistant.
In fact cutting out all your pieces, doing a fit check, THEN painting all pieces BEFORE assembly would be the best way to go,
That way you ensure that no seam or corner goes without sealing.
Cutting cost and weight, where you're able to, would be the key to this project (imho)

Carves
02-03-2014, 03:40 PM
Some canadian bloke recently posted a thread about vehicle weight .......

I'm pretty sure he wouldnt use that heavy MDF stuff for storage boxes .. ;);)

:D:D

.... and yep - it soaks up water like a sponge without lotsa paint.

Marine ply and maybe some aluminium corner reinforcement would be my thoughts ... but Im a lazy sod and just have a range of plastic crates I throw in as needed.

jdougn
02-04-2014, 07:47 PM
I built a nice storage shelf for the back of my XJ using 3/4" A/B plywood for the sides and the shelves then 1/4" lauan plywood for the back that goes against the rear seats. Covered the entire thing with heavy fabric. The 33"x12.5" spare slid in the bottom and tool boxes, first aid kit, and recovery gear parked up top. I wouldn't use MDF because it will inevitably swell from moisture even if painted, screws will pull through it easily, and it's heavy. If the box is going to be moved in and out of the vehicle a lot it may need to be built entirely from 3/4" plywood but mine never needed any corner reinforcements. Unless it's going to be exposed to water frequently then just get regular cabinet grade plywood from some place like Lowes or Home Depot and it'll be fine.
dn

Pookapotamus
02-06-2014, 06:53 PM
Some canadian bloke recently posted a thread about vehicle weight .......

I'm pretty sure he wouldnt use that heavy MDF stuff for storage boxes .. ;);)

:D:D

.... and yep - it soaks up water like a sponge without lotsa paint.

Marine ply and maybe some aluminium corner reinforcement would be my thoughts ... but Im a lazy sod and just have a range of plastic crates I throw in as needed.

Silly Canadian bloke!

I only thought of mdf because of my days building thumping stereo boxes. I'm am concerned with the weight, even considering sheet metal as I do have a bender.

Still planning stuff out. Will post pics when I finally decide what to do.

Joliet Johnny
02-06-2014, 09:09 PM
I once saw a guy use old gutted computer cases for storage in a Suburban. He added a hinge to the side closest to where the CD drive used to be and a lock on the side where the wires used to plug in. Only problem is you'd need to cover up the front and rear of the case.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk