PDA

View Full Version : Globe Compass

Spike3
01-31-2014, 04:42 PM
For some unknown reason, I've wanted to have a globe compass in my vehicle. I've loved them since I first saw them on boats.

So I've ordered this: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/111146952772?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I want to wire it with the gauge so then the LED turns on when I turn the dash lights on. The place shown in the picture is the best location I think, so I'm wondering if this is a good location and how far away the wires are for dash lights.
This will be a spring project, or one for when the weather improves (I'm not down to do tiny mods when it's -20 outside) so there's no major urgency.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions on this!

4.3LXJ
01-31-2014, 04:45 PM
That is a good place. I sacrificed my clock for a switch panel. The wires, should be orange and black, go to several places through there, such as for the HVAC controls

Pookapotamus
01-31-2014, 04:45 PM
There is a dash light for the cigaret lighter right there, great place to mount it.

Brasscatz
01-31-2014, 04:49 PM
Very nice. Several 4x4s cane with them and I've always liked them too.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

Brasscatz
01-31-2014, 04:50 PM
Wait, I'm thinking of the globe inclinometer thingy

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

Pookapotamus
01-31-2014, 04:53 PM
There is an app for that! I use "wheeling" love it!

Spike3
01-31-2014, 05:02 PM
There is a dash light for the cigaret lighter right there, great place to mount it.

A light for the plastic that used to surround the cigarette lighter? I haven't noticed a light coming from there but I'll poke around when it gets warmer.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Pookapotamus
01-31-2014, 05:05 PM
Yup the bulb might be burnt out, if you don't have that there are lots of other sources. Like Steve said, they are black and orange.

XJ Wheeler
01-31-2014, 05:37 PM
There's also a light in the left side of the ashtray at the bottom center of the dash, lights indicating what each switch does on the dash, a bulb on the right side of the a/c control panel for lighting. I think that's most of them in the are of the panel you're looking at. They're all dimmable too so it should work with your dimmer switch.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Spike3
01-31-2014, 05:40 PM
There's a lot of bulbs I need to replace haha
Is there one that illuminates the temperature and vent controls? I figured the 93 jeeps didn't have them but they may all just be burnt out.

Pookapotamus
01-31-2014, 05:43 PM
Is take it up with the previous owner!

Spike3
01-31-2014, 05:46 PM
Is take it up with the previous owner!

He's living the dad life it's hard to get some time

XJ Wheeler
01-31-2014, 05:48 PM
There's a lot of bulbs I need to replace haha
Is there one that illuminates the temperature and vent controls? I figured the 93 jeeps didn't have them but they may all just be burnt out.

Yep, right side. Just take off the dash bezel, the the radio and you can reach the socket there. Counter clockwise and pull the bulb out. Its a small t5 bulb.

Spike3
01-31-2014, 05:50 PM
Yep, right side. Just take off the dash bezel, the the radio and you can reach the socket there. Counter clockwise and pull the bulb out. Its a small t5 bulb.

I just thought 93s didn't have lights there. I'm going to be busy.

XJ Wheeler
01-31-2014, 05:51 PM
I just thought 93s didn't have lights there. I'm going to be busy.

Lol, mines a '92 so i think it would. If you have more questions on the subject i've replaced all mine with LEDs and been in the dash many times.

Spike3
02-04-2014, 12:44 PM

Is t5 the bulb model number? I'll be going to the hardware store this weekend and can pick them up so I can pop the dash off and do everything at once whenever it starts to warm up.

I'm guessing I need about 5 or 6 of them so hopefully they aren't expensive.

XJ Wheeler
02-04-2014, 11:57 PM
Is t5 the bulb model number? I'll be going to the hardware store this weekend and can pick them up so I can pop the dash off and do everything at once whenever it starts to warm up.

I'm guessing I need about 5 or 6 of them so hopefully they aren't expensive.

That is the type of bulb. The number varies but all the are t5 should work, just a matter of finding out what number bulbs are t5's.

Here's ones like mine so you can see some to know what they look like. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Blue-T5-Wedge-1x-5050-SMD-SMT-LED-Car-Dashboard-Light-Lamp-Bulbs-74-70-79-CC-/131109299741?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e86b9261d&vxp=mtr