PDA

View Full Version : Opinion: bumper or tow hooks

abebehrmann
01-28-2014, 08:18 AM
I would like everyone's opinion. I've been researching front recovery points and at first I was trying to decide between the factory style tow hooks or a front mounted trailer hitch (like this one http://www.carid.com/1986-jeep-comanche-trailer-hitches/curt-front-trailer-hitches-1642222.html?CAWELAID=1763639433&nid=PLA&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CMaZtpyCobwCFdHm7Aodvy4ATg). I liked that the front trailer hitch ties in both sides of the unibody but I didn't like how far it hung down in front. I like the price of the towhooks+brackets but I'm not sold on the strength and don't like that they don't really offer any more structural integrity to the frame. So, I emailed a vendor on here that I've been admiring for a while (Virginia Fab) to see if he could build one of his stubby bumpers with a hitch tube in it. He very promptly emailed me back with a quote for this plus some pics and other options. He could build me a stubby bumper with 5 frame tie-in bolts on each side (like his winch bumpers) with a trailer hitch for $200 or with D-Ring tabs and D-rings for $50 more. Pics below.

My question is, should I get the bumper or the factory tow hooks? If you like the bumper, then would you get one with D-rings, with the hitch, or both? I'm leaning towards getting the bumper with both the hitch and D-Rings but would like opinions from others who are smarter and more experienced than I. If I don't get the bumper, then the money saved will go towards new tires, CB, or tools.

Brasscatz
01-28-2014, 08:27 AM
I've been pulled out many times by my front factory tow hooks, but that price from Virginia fab is very hard to beat. If you can swing it, go bumper because you'll always want to upgrade. Go big first ;)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

NW99XJ
01-28-2014, 08:43 AM
Ok,
Here's what I have to say about all that.
I have/have had both... (bumper/tow hooks)
I have used my tow hooks (which were the rugged ridge ones iirc) to both pull and be pulled out of some pretty nasty situations.
All I can say is that they do what they're supposed to. I wouldn't worry too much about the strength, unless that is, you're planning on getting stuck in quick sand, or quick drying concrete.
Two questions come to mind... is money a huge concern here? (are u gonna break the bank going with the Virginia Fab bumper?)
And do you forsee yourself at any time in the next couple/few years getting or wanting to get a winch?
If you ARE on a real tight budget, then go with some tow hooks, they work, and are reliable. If you CAN afford the bumper, GET IT.... and follow your gut, and get BOTH the receiver AND the D-rings. This will serve two purposes.... one, it will give you front recovery points, and two, it will give you the option to get a hitch mounted winch at some point in the future. Plus .... it looks cool....
The added strength of unibody tie-in is just an added bonus.

prcjeep
01-28-2014, 09:08 AM
Per the install pics for the Curt hitch, I appears that if you have a factory skid it will need to be removed(IF you have one)

abebehrmann
01-28-2014, 09:17 AM
Two questions come to mind... is money a huge concern here? (are u gonna break the bank going with the Virginia Fab bumper?)
And do you forsee yourself at any time in the next couple/few years getting or wanting to get a winch?

Money isn't a huge concern, but this would delay the purchase of some larger tires for a couple months. Not a big deal, I can always borrow the tires from the girlfriend's TJ for a few days if I NEED 31's (SHHHH! Don't tell her! haha). :D:rolleye0012::D

Eventually, in a few years, I would like a winch and that's exactly why I was considering the trailer hitch mount. I like the ability to (somewhat) easily take off the winch when not in use to lessen the chance of it getting stolen.

4.3LXJ
01-28-2014, 10:45 AM
Money isn't a huge concern, but this would delay the purchase of some larger tires for a couple months. Not a big deal, I can always borrow the tires from the girlfriend's TJ for a few days if I NEED 31's (SHHHH! Don't tell her! haha). :D:rolleye0012::D

So she goes to get into the Jeep one morning and finds it on stands :sad0147:

OK, here is my philosophy on this. I plan for the future, far into the future. So if you are headed towards a receiver winch in your plans, go for it now so you don't have to spend the money twice.

abebehrmann
01-28-2014, 03:02 PM
Alright, it's settled then. Next paycheck I'll be placing my order. Thanks for the advice guys.

So she goes to get into the Jeep one morning and finds it on stands :sad0147:
I'd at least have the decency to put my 29" tires+ steel rims onto her Jeep....:smiley-laughing021:

XJ Wheeler
01-28-2014, 03:35 PM
Their stubby winch bumper looks like a nice base to build a full bumper off of... and comes with the d-ring tabs already. Pick up some shackles for $25+- and you're set. Now this wouldn't let you take the winch off (easily anyways) but i personally like winch being set down in the bumper for a good solid mount and the approach angle. I picture being stuck with the receiver covered or not enough clearance to get the winch slid in there. A few things to think on.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

abebehrmann
01-28-2014, 03:56 PM
Their stubby winch bumper looks like a nice base to build a full bumper off of... and comes with the d-ring tabs already. Pick up some shackles for $25+- and you're set. Now this wouldn't let you take the winch off (easily anyways) but i personally like winch being set down in the bumper for a good solid mount and the approach angle. I picture being stuck with the receiver covered or not enough clearance to get the winch slid in there. A few things to think on.

Darnit Jake! I had my mind made up until YOU had to chime in! :sad0147:

hahaha, just kidding.

I was really considering that one for a while but I won't be able to afford a winch for at least a few years and I think it might look kinda funny mounted on my Jeep without a winch in it. I think approach angles will be pretty comparable with the hitch mounted winch due to it being raised up a bit. I also really like how clean the super stubby bumper looks when paired with the front skid plate.

slvmart
01-28-2014, 04:20 PM
I have the Curt hitch. Had to remove the under bumper plastic trim piece to mount the hitch. But the hitch doesn't extend any lower than does that trim piece. I use the hitch with a Meyer Home Plow and it sure comes in handy, this season.

Carves
01-28-2014, 05:45 PM
Obviously the wallet is a factor but,

... a, well mounted, front tow hitch - opens up a whole new world of "versatility" ... and some structural integrity.

It will still need recovery points tho ... for doubling up winch capacities with snatch blocks .. ;);)

XJ Wheeler
01-28-2014, 05:55 PM
Darnit Jake! I had my mind made up until YOU had to chime in! :sad0147:

hahaha, just kidding.

I was really considering that one for a while but I won't be able to afford a winch for at least a few years and I think it might look kinda funny mounted on my Jeep without a winch in it. I think approach angles will be pretty comparable with the hitch mounted winch due to it being raised up a bit. I also really like how clean the super stubby bumper looks when paired with the front skid plate.

Lol, well then i'll just have to post where i'm wanted!

:p :smiley-laughing021:

No worries, would be a good tray for the trail though. :D

Oh, and the approach angle thing i meant compared to having the winch IN the receiver.

Firemanray
01-28-2014, 06:13 PM
Not much I can add to what has been stated already. I'd go with the bumper!!

Hopkins
01-28-2014, 06:43 PM
I was going through this very same debate about 3 weeks ago. I didn't want to spend $500+ on a winch bumper when I wasn't planning on adding a winch for awhile. The money was better spend elsewhere on my build. I did need a solid front recovery system tho. As far as the tow hooks are concerned I did not like the standard offering of a hook that mounts to one frame rail. I wanted something beefier because I know our unibody is delicate and don't want it bending under a good tug. I did some searching for a better alternative and found Iron Rock Offroad's front tow hook bracket/system. http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-XTHM&Category_Code=PFX. It's worth checking out and sturdy enough that I would feel comfortable getting tugged by it.

As far as a hitch mounted winch, it is a great idea on paper. However you don't see more people with them in the real world because they are 100+ pounds. Try putting that on your Jeep in the middle of a mud hole or on a vertical rock face and then tell me it's still a good idea. Also hitches are not meant for side loaded pulling meaning that your winch becomes designed for only straight forward pulls, and that is not always where the object you want to hook up to is. Just my opinion... Hope it helps.

Carves
01-28-2014, 06:52 PM
.... / Also hitches are not meant for side loaded pulling meaning that your winch becomes designed for only straight forward pulls, and that is not always where the object you want to hook up to is. Just my opinion... Hope it helps.

Whilst its not always, practical ... a straight pull is what - should be happening to reduce strains and loads.

Main reason there is a perceived need for huge winches ... is coz so many offroad enthusiasts - want to winch out of headlight deep mud ... or up a tree ... without the use of shovels, traction aids and chainsaws .. ;);) .. :D

Theres a world of difference between winch comps ... and weekend wheeling.

cantab27
01-28-2014, 09:37 PM
I like the hooks ...easier to hook up when drowning or stuck plus the shackels tend to be forced upwards under a decent snatch recovery ....this happened on my arb bar .......

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/jeepin%20and%20bits/rebuild026.jpg (http://s469.photobucket.com/user/cantab27/media/jeepin%20and%20bits/rebuild026.jpg.html)

don't know if you can see that but that's where she was fixed to the jeep

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/jeepin%20and%20bits/rebuild009.jpg (http://s469.photobucket.com/user/cantab27/media/jeepin%20and%20bits/rebuild009.jpg.html)

on the tj I cut the lugs off the new bar and put hooks on ....also help with approach angles ........
them little suckers

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/jeep%20wrangler%20touch%20up/SAM_1620.jpg (http://s469.photobucket.com/user/cantab27/media/jeep%20wrangler%20touch%20up/SAM_1620.jpg.html)

carves is right but, a little digging a block or two makes life easer when ya winching or any decent recovery ...unless ya in a winch comp ....:smiley-laughing021:

that's my 2cents on hooks or shackles