PDA

View Full Version : 99wj nv242 transfer case into 99xj. Will it work?

CdnJeeper
01-26-2014, 03:39 PM
Hello all. Ive searched but cant seems to find any information on the 99wj nv242 transfer case. I know a 98zj will work as it has the same splines and shaft length. Im looking to swap out my nv231 and i found a 242 but its from a 99wj. Im looking to do a direct swap and not sure if I will need the shafts or anything else to go along with it due to changes in yokes etc.. Any help is great. Thanks.

4.3LXJ
01-26-2014, 04:46 PM
It will bolt up. The only thing I don't know for sure is how the WJ case is clocked. I have a WJ here, but I haven't been under it yet and probably won't get to that for a couple of weeks at least. Shop is occupied right now

CdnJeeper
01-26-2014, 07:23 PM
Thanks. So it has the same yokes and should bolt up the exact same? What do you mean by clocked? Any other things I should need. The 242 is still in the vehicle the guy has to remove it.

4.3LXJ
01-26-2014, 07:43 PM
Clocking means the angle the drop side takes. For instance a YJ tcase is a 231, but lays nearly flat, whereas an XJ tcase swings downward. But I don't see any reason it won't bolt up. They all use the same bolt pattern and you should have the same input spline count. As far as front driveline, I am not sure but I bet you could change the flanges. Might have to change the speedo gears. I think those were 3.73 ratio