PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust - how to...

Infidel Edition
01-24-2014, 08:12 PM
So, I thought that fixing my own muffler would be a hassle and require welding and ... till it fully broke off and :bang:

But it was easy as Shnot and I thought I'd do a quick write up for those that may be thinking it's hard.

I went to Summit and picked up WLK-44171 for $40+ $19 shipping. And a WLK-33226 clamp.
...and just for kicks, I picked up an 18" cherry bomb glass pack muffler.
NOT NEEDED TO DO THE REPAIR, JUST A WILD HAIR

In addition to sockets... I picked up a exhaust pipe expander from Harbor Freight for $15. takes some figuring out, but once you get it, it's simple.
I expanded the ends of the cherry bomb to fit over the rest...
Just insert and ratchet it (the trick is securing it so it won't turn...)
...though they were both the same diameter, the expander stretched the RED is the cherry bomb enough

Once I got all the pieces ready, I hocked the back section (the J bar) and the clamp in place... and measured where to cut the old pipe to fit.

and then bolt it in place from the engine and work your way back.
Piece of Cake:bacondance:

If you're worried about doing it, don't be.
BTW, I thought the cherry bomb would give it a more throaty tone. But after running with the straight pipe for weeks, it's actually less noisy.

Infidel Edition
01-24-2014, 08:21 PM
For the record, I chose that pipe as it was a 2 1/2". So I'm 2 1/2" from the Cat back.
The local parts store said he could order the 2 1/4" (or maybe it was 2 1/8") for $25... but the 2 1/2" was $145...
So, if you just want the stock for the xj, you could get by at $25 +/-

Brasscatz
01-25-2014, 07:34 PM
Nice write up. Don't the parts stores make sleeves that you can use instead of having to stretch a pipe?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

Infidel Edition
01-25-2014, 09:29 PM
Nice write up. Don't the parts stores make sleeves that you can use instead of having to stretch a pipe?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

there are sleeves... but then you would double up on the clamps.
...also noticed you can do the OReilly tool borrow thing. so literally $25 + a clamp and your good