PDA

View Full Version : Jeepinspence here

sbspence
01-23-2014, 11:02 AM
:patriot:

Hello everyone! Stumbled across this site after listening to the XJ podcast on my phone. Idk if it's still being broadcast or not but I hope so it's nice to have an active community. Most of the sites I've tried so far aren't very active anymore it seems I'm always a day late and a dollar short. ;)

I'm new to XJs as an owner , but, I've wanted one ever since I rode in one in 1988(I'm still partial to the look of the lil Waggy too! I'm not new to Jeeps of 4x4s though I've been lifting and studying tires since the mid 80s...it's a closet obsession of mine...:headbag:

That brings up my conundrum that has me all cornfuzzled! My 01 is bone stock and I have $1,000 saved up to spend on it. It needs tires badly as it was a hwy department vehicle and it has 4 worn out snow tires on it that are helpless in the snow and loud and bumpy on the road!:bang:

I'm trying decide whether to throw a set of stock size tires on it until I can get a short lift and if so what size tire And lift. It's a DD so I DON'T want any vibes to chase down or a suspension that needs extra maintenance. I just want something I can throw on it and forget that performs as well or better than stock. i like the look of this months featured rig the tall but not TOO tall look with tallish narrow tires. I also need recovery points, and would eventually like front bumper and winch, and rear bumper and tire carrier, along with a roof rack. You know the "Functional Expedition" look?

Now if you had $1000 and a stock XJ with 150k on it and a clean body and interior what you spend your money on first?
All Ideas welcome!!! :)

PS Thanks for the board!

Spence<><

abebehrmann
01-23-2014, 11:14 AM
Oh yeah, this forum is still plenty active. Welcome aboard!

To your question, we're sort of in the same boat. My XJ is still my DD, but I'm trying to fix it up to go on trail rides, etc. I just did a junkyard lift on mine, pulled some 93-98 Grand Cherokee Coil Springs and some leaf springs from an Isuzu Rodeo that I made a Bastard pack with. Picked up some coil spring spacers to lift up the front a bit more and got 2.5'' of lift for ~$100. (Both of these upgrades were discussed in length on the podcast by Steve, 4.3LXJ and there are a few writeups as well on here)

That still leaves a good $900 for tires and other odds and ends. You can pick up a decent trailer hitch from the junkyard for less than $50, that will give you a rear recovery point. For the front you could also get a front trailer hitch for $120 or a set of tow hooks and brackets for $80.

There are lots of people much more knowledgeable than me though, so don't just take my word for it!

4.3LXJ
01-23-2014, 11:16 AM
Welcome Brent. With a grand to spend you can get quite a ways. If you have been listening to the pod cast, I have a Jeep Tip on cheap front lifts that will get you 3.5" and another on bastard packs that will get you the same. Throw in some shocks and for about $3-400 bucks you can have a complete lift and use the rest for some 31' tires like some Goodyear Duratracks and have a few bucks left over for some tow points

sbspence
01-23-2014, 11:50 AM
http://bn.craigslist.org/pts/4284720744.html

I hope that link works...would these be okay
(and a good buy?) on my stock 16" rims and work until I get a BP lift put together? Has anyone used the Lizard Lift packages?

4.3LXJ
01-23-2014, 12:25 PM
Yes, those will work

sbspence
02-01-2014, 10:13 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/02/bu8y7a8u.jpg
Score! They rub over fairly small bumps, and on right turns from the front left tire. Good thing I have a 3" lift on order! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk