PDA

View Full Version : Control Arms drop kit for 3.5"?

saar
01-23-2014, 07:54 AM
Hi,

I have a RE 3.5" super flex on my XJ for few years now.
I'm not sure if I'm getting old or the Jeep does ;) (pretty sure it is me...) but I would be happy to have some smoother ride.

Anyone have an experience with control arms drop kit? will it work with a 3.5" lift?

Thank you,
Saar.

jimmixj
01-23-2014, 08:04 AM
Hi,

I have a RE 3.5" super flex on my XJ for few years now.
I'm not sure if I'm getting old or the Jeep does ;) (pretty sure it is me...) but I would be happy to have some smoother ride.

Anyone have an experience with control arms drop kit? will it work with a 3.5" lift?

Thank you,
Saar.

What springs are you using? I would check into a softer rate spring with same lift numbers and see if that helps.

saar
01-23-2014, 08:52 AM
Hi,

I'm using the RE super flex springs.
I think the issue is the geometry of the control arms rather than the springs, isn't it?

4.3LXJ
01-23-2014, 10:27 AM
Saar, you may have two issues to address. One is shocks. To get a soft ride, use shocks that compress easily and release hard. If you can, use shocks with progressive valving, meaning that in long fast movement the stiffen up. And yes, a softer ride in the front can be had with the drop brackets. I think they drop about 3 or 4 inches so that should be about right. Don't forget dropping air pressure in the tires.

saar
01-23-2014, 11:07 AM
Hi,

Thanks, Any recommendation of specific shocks?

4.3LXJ
01-23-2014, 11:11 AM
I use Monroe Gas Magnums. They work the best of any shocks I have used and come with a lifetime warranty. But they don't make shocks for lifts. You have to push the bottom bushing out and put the bar pin in after you figure out what length you need. I can help with that

saar
01-23-2014, 11:13 AM
thanks

denverd1
01-23-2014, 01:40 PM
drop brackets will help and give you more flex. Air pressure will make a big difference too. Got drops on mine and am happy. Have hung them up once or twice but definitely worth it IMO.. whatever it takes to get those arms parallel to the ground.

07Negative
01-23-2014, 04:08 PM
More expensive than Steve's recommendation on shocks. I'm currently riding on Bilstein 5100's. I couldn't be happier with them. They have 2 versions from what I was told. The ones specific to the jeep XJ is what I got.
RE also makes drop brackets. Great choice. But if I'm not mistaken. I think you have to get new lower control arms.

Hopkins
01-23-2014, 06:00 PM
If you want to go all out in ride comfort and performance w/o going long arm you could buy Metalcloak front control arms for the TJ(same size as XJ) and use them in conjunction with control arm drop brackets. Then throw some nice shocks on and your going to be riding like a Cadillac. Metalcloak arms are unique in the type/design of bushing they use and IMO its superior to any other joint in the industry in every aspect: comfort, flex, durability, and ease of servicing/rebuilding.

Check them out for yourself: http://www.metalcloak.com/Jeep-Suspension-Builders-Parts-s/235.htm

There is a 25+ page of tech discussion of MC gear over on JKOwners.com. I'll put up the link if your interested.

I run with some JK guys and Metalcloak is really the best it gets for Jeep. I wish they built a kit for the XJ, but until then you just have to work with their TJ parts.

denverd1
01-24-2014, 11:30 AM
looks like they have some interesting front coils with variable spring rate.. very cool

denverd1
01-25-2014, 12:04 PM
So I emailed the guys at metalcloak. Their coils are dual rate. Very very cool!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

Hopkins
01-25-2014, 12:32 PM
Good stuff! They have awesome customer service! I would love to see them develop some XJ products. Let us know what you hear back!

Carves
01-25-2014, 06:40 PM
Hi,

I'm using the RE super flex springs.
I think the issue is the geometry of the control arms rather than the springs, isn't it?

Bit of info here in a post from NW99XJ ... http://www.xjtalk.com/showpost.php?p=160096&postcount=16

A practical, instead of visual, method of understanding control arms is easy too.

A piece of corrugated, roofing iron and a broom stick ... or something similiar
... and push the end of the broom stick - across the corrugations - at various speeds and angles, a few times.

Your wrist, elbow, and shoulder will give an indication of what the control arm mount, tacked onto the unibody, has to deal with ... when the factory angles have been changed.

Personally ... I would make any changes to the control arm angles first ... if thats what you intend ... and then determine shock actions and damping,

... rather than band aid dodgy control arm angles - with shock absorbers.

Hopkins
01-25-2014, 07:25 PM
I did the same thing by rolling a hand truck over bumps in my driveway. I would hold at an almost vertical angle and roll it over an obstacle, then hold the hand truck closer to parallel with the ground and roll over the same obstacle. It is amazing how much more resistance is created the steeper/closer to vertical the angle becomes. It really is a simple and practical way to demonstrate the importance of proper control arm angles.

I def suggest trying this experiment just to get a feel for what the jeep goes through when you lift it and change your CA angles

denverd1
01-27-2014, 10:42 AM
Good stuff! They have awesome customer service! I would love to see them develop some XJ products. Let us know what you hear back!

He said they're working on XJ stuff. As you point out, some TJ stuff will fit ours. track bar, coils, control arms. Emailed me back right away. Looking forward to their XJ offerings