PDA

View Full Version : Converter in and out of lockup, HELP..

drew23
01-22-2014, 09:54 AM
Ok, My Jeep has been experiencing the in and out of lockup issue at 65-70 MPH. If I place my foot on the brake pedal it goes away. I have not tried pulling back on the pedal yet (just found that today) but I will on the way home today. The TPS was changed last April and seemed to help a little but the problem still exists. It needs a fluid and filter change on the tranny. Can anyone point me in the direction of what needs to be checked? Any other areas I need to check?

I have one other issue I am unsure how to adjust. My shifter seems to be out of adjustment. To be in drive it shows between Neutral and Drive. Could this be part of the issue?

So far I need to:

Check pulling back on brake pedal -- Checks brake switch.
Test TPS -- Checks TPS

Thanks,
Justin

4.3LXJ
01-22-2014, 10:31 AM
The shifting may be in response to your throttle position. What is your milage like and how long has it been since your O2 sensor been changed?

drew23
01-22-2014, 10:39 AM
The shifting may be in response to your throttle position. What is your milage like and how long has it been since your O2 sensor been changed?

You mean the TPS sensor or I'm just in the range where it can't decide what it wants to do? Mileage is around 122K, Currently have a P0138 code for sensor 2 but, the problem existed before then, (code popped last week no $$). I put the Upstream sensor in 2 years ago. Bosch from Advanced. Should have done both i guess.

4.3LXJ
01-22-2014, 11:02 AM
The second one only measures whether or not your cat is doing its job. I suggest you need to replace that Bosch, and do both this time. I know they are expensive, but they are tune up parts like spark plugs and do wear out

drew23
01-22-2014, 11:05 AM
The second one only measures whether or not your cat is doing its job. I suggest you need to replace that Bosch, and do both this time. I know they are expensive, but they are tune up parts like spark plugs and do wear out
Recommend a brand?

4.3LXJ
01-22-2014, 11:34 AM
Recommend a brand?

I have used Bosch with good success, but OEM is good too, but expensive

drew23
01-22-2014, 01:21 PM
Talked to Advanced Auto in chat. They will match Rockauto and if I have any trouble warranty wise it can go back to the local store so, the question is Bosch or NTK? Should be able to get both NTK for less than $75 shipped, or Bosch for about $60. I'm leaning towards the NTK.

4.3LXJ
01-22-2014, 01:58 PM
Either is probably OK as far as I am concerned

abebehrmann
01-22-2014, 02:12 PM
Talked to Advanced Auto in chat. They will match Rockauto and if I have any trouble warranty wise it can go back to the local store so, the question is Bosch or NTK? Should be able to get both NTK for less than $75 shipped, or Bosch for about $60. I'm leaning towards the NTK.

Sooo, did you just ask them if they would match Rockauto's prices or what did you do? Would be nice to order from them and have the option of taking it to an actual store if there is a problem.

drew23
01-22-2014, 02:20 PM
Sooo, did you just ask them if they would match Rockauto's prices or what did you do? Would be nice to order from them and have the option of taking it to an actual store if there is a problem.
I talked to them in a chat and asked. They said all I needed to do was give them a link to the parts and they would do a price match and complete my order over the phone. I sent an email to AZ for some parts that Advanced doesn't carry but, was told they do not price match internet prices. Guess it is AAP and Rockauto for me.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Infidel Edition
01-28-2014, 11:01 PM
i seem to recall (I think it was 89Larado) that wrote up an article on an electronic lock for the converter ~ lock/unlock with a switch...

if you still have issues = might try

slvmart
01-29-2014, 07:27 AM
Only time I had a problem with a converter locking up was on a Ford E350 chassis for a Motor Home. All that needed was a change of the trans oil and filer. Might be worth a shot, although I know the AW4 is totally electronically controlled.
There are numerous forum discussions about modifying your trans for total manual control, while retaining the auto mode.
Having said that, are you sure that your whole problem isn't related to a bad electrical connection either at the trans or at the shifter ?