PDA

View Full Version : LCG, coils vs spacers?

XJMikey
01-18-2014, 12:53 PM
I sold my RC 4.5" LA lift to go with a 2" LCG setup. I've decide to go with OEM 7" free arch leafs, which offer 1 - 1.5" of lift over stock for the rear, but I'm stuck on what to do with the front. My goal is a 2" lift to give myself a better/firmer ride (currently feels like I'm on mud, on road) and provide a little more up-travel (once bump-stopped) for future 33x12.5's.

Should I go with, HD OEM coils + 1.75" spacer OR Rusty's 2" coils?

Thanks for any help.

4.3LXJ
01-18-2014, 01:57 PM
You could use V8 Grand Cherokee coils for that purpose

XJMikey
01-18-2014, 02:19 PM
You could use V8 Grand Cherokee coils for that purpose

I tired 3 sets of 5.2L ZJ coils. First set had about 45K on them and netted about 1/2" over stock (not sagging), other two where in the low 100K range and only brought me back to stock height. Kind of sucked, given the work needed to replace them, but it was worth a try.

4.3LXJ
01-18-2014, 02:21 PM
How did you measure that height? I have a thread in the tech section on making that measurement. I installed some of those coils on a friends rig and got that 1.75" lift over stock

XJMikey
01-18-2014, 02:27 PM
How did you measure that height? I have a thread in the tech section on making that measurement. I installed some of those coils on a friends rig and got that 1.75" lift over stock

I measured/marked from the back of the front fender, and from level ground up to the body line (the one below the door handles) on both fenders. Then swapped coils and measured to the mark.

nickyg
01-18-2014, 04:09 PM
I used a set of these.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16058_11X_PG.htm

4.3LXJ
01-18-2014, 05:20 PM
I measured/marked from the back of the front fender, and from level ground up to the body line (the one below the door handles) on both fenders. Then swapped coils and measured to the mark.

To measure lift you need to measure from the body to the center of the hub. Here is a link on how to do it

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8144

It is possible you already had some lift to start with, which might explain your results with the V8 coils.

jimmixj
01-19-2014, 09:14 AM
That's exactly what I was thinking Steve...Trying to figure out what's actually in the bucket on an XJ is sometimes the real trick! Working on my friend's XJ with a claimed 2" lift we changed out the front springs to 3" only to find out it had 3.5s to begin with. Thank God my parts man knows I'm a dummy! The problem for me seems to be the variables; lift can be accomplished by wire size, turns of wire, length of finished coil or any combo of these. Almost impossible to know what's there. :bang:

4.3LXJ
01-19-2014, 10:02 AM
That's exactly what I was thinking Steve...Trying to figure out what's actually in the bucket on an XJ is sometimes the real trick! Working on my friend's XJ with a claimed 2" lift we changed out the front springs to 3" only to find out it had 3.5s to begin with. Thank God my parts man knows I'm a dummy! The problem for me seems to be the variables; lift can be accomplished by wire size, turns of wire, length of finished coil or any combo of these. Almost impossible to know what's there. :bang:

That is right. You can get a real mixed bag with coils. I have the formula buried somewhere for figuring out spring rates, but with the change in methods of manufacture I don't think it is accurate anymore. So you just need to start from a common reference point and work from there

XJMikey
01-19-2014, 03:29 PM
To measure lift you need to measure from the body to the center of the hub. Here is a link on how to do it

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8144

It is possible you already had some lift to start with, which might explain your results with the V8 coils.

The cause for no lift was due to false information from the j/y. I purchased 3 pairs of 4.0L-ZJ coils. My friend AJ works at the yard I bought them from, and informed me that they haven't had a 5.2L equipped ZJ for a long time.

I'm going to try car-parts.com and ebay to see what I can locate before picking up either 2" rusty's or 3" TJ coils.

I used a set of these.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16058_11X_PG.htm

I'd still need coils. My stock ones are so worn out they can barely hold up the front end. I should have kept the 45K ZJ coils, instead of selling them as scrap. :bang:

Thanks for the help guys.

abebehrmann
01-19-2014, 03:39 PM
There are plenty at the yard near me. I would be happy to pull them and ship them to you. I believe with tax and environmental fees they come out to ~$13 a piece, I would estimate shipping at ~$20 so total would prob be around $50. Let me know.

XJMikey
01-19-2014, 03:43 PM
There are plenty at the yard near me. I would be happy to pull them and ship them to you. I believe with tax and environmental fees they come out to ~$13 a piece, I would estimate shipping at ~$20 so total would prob be around $50. Let me know.

Thanks. I'll look local first, and let you know.

XJMikey
01-20-2014, 07:59 PM
Have y'all ever heard of anyone cutting down t-bird coils (like they do to lower them) to gain 2-2.5" of lift?

I've done a ton of reading (don't tell the fiancee) about t-bird coils and bastard packs, and I'm really liking the ease of suspension tweaking they offer. Plus!!!... saving money and reusing parts that are "polluting" the earth, helps convince the fiancee it's a wise investment. :D

Thanks in advance for any help.

4.3LXJ
01-20-2014, 08:10 PM
Can't tell you about the T Bird coils. That is the one option I have not dealt with. But, bastard packs are great. The last Pod Cast has tips on it for Bastard Packs

XJMikey
01-20-2014, 08:37 PM
Can't tell you about the T Bird coils. That is the one option I have not dealt with. But, bastard packs are great. The last Pod Cast has tips on it for Bastard Packs

I'll try to locate a couple sets of springs, and start slowly removing parts of/whole rings until I get the height I want.

I was watching that podcast, and the one Matt @ bleepinjeep.com has up for bastard packs. I'm sold on bastard packs. I'll take custom tuning/lift height over oem, any day.

4.3LXJ
01-20-2014, 09:40 PM
I am running a bastard pack right now myself

XJMikey
01-20-2014, 09:59 PM
I am running a bastard pack right now myself

I've read your thread on your BP setup. I'll be doing some tuning of my own. My goal is a mix of firm/giving ride, flex, and payload with minimal sag.

07Negative
01-22-2014, 07:21 PM
isn't 4.5" still considered LCG?

4.3LXJ
01-22-2014, 07:23 PM
I guess that depends on who you talk to. I can find you some on CF that consider anything over 3" high

07Negative
01-22-2014, 07:44 PM
I suppose it's relative, right? I was under the impression it was like 4.5"ish. But what do I know.

4.3LXJ
01-22-2014, 07:45 PM
It all depends on whose internet lore it is

XJMikey
01-22-2014, 08:04 PM
According to Teraflex advertisement for their TJ, LJ and JK "LCG" lifts, it's tire size to lift height that defines LCG, or not. And IMO, I agree. If someone is running 35's with 4.5" LA lift, that's LCG. I know it doesn't compare to XJ's I've seen stuff 35's and 37's under 0"-2" lifts, but compared to the 6.5" + 33's combo I see roaming around where I live, it's LCG.

07Negative
01-23-2014, 04:14 PM
2" lift w 37's is a sight to be seen. I've seen 3" w 35's. chopped to death and distasteful in my opinion. But I suppose it all comes down to POU.

sbspence
01-25-2014, 12:35 AM
I stumbled across some stock rubicoils and shocks. The fronts do any good over stock? Still trying to decide on bp, aal, or new off the shelf lift packs. The more I read the muddied it gets! Lol

I kinda like the all inclusiveness of the Rusty's 3" kit myself. Shrug

Back to the research...

XJMikey
01-26-2014, 05:50 PM
I stumbled across some stock rubicoils and shocks. The fronts do any good over stock? Still trying to decide on bp, aal, or new off the shelf lift packs. The more I read the muddied it gets! Lol

I kinda like the all inclusiveness of the Rusty's 3" kit myself. Shrug

Back to the research...

TJ coils provide 1" less lift on XJ's. RC makes a 3" leaf pack for XJ's... not sure if they're cheaper.

====

So far my junkyard/parts store lift, parts list contains:

Junkyard:
- V8 ZJ coils (thanks again, abebehrmann)
- S10 Leaf pack
- Rear swaybar axle mounts

Parts Store:
- 1" - 1.75" Coil spacers (pending coil lift)
- YJ front shocks, Gabriel Guardian 81691
- ZJ rear shocks, Gabriel Guardian 81891
- YJ soft brakelines
- XJ leaf & shackle bushings
- Leaf spring hardware

Anything else I should look at? My desired final lift height is 2.25 - 2.75".

I'm going to see how running my stock control arms, trackbar, stock bumpstops (what's left of them), and no t-case mods goes, before I invest in adjustable control arms and trackbar, dpgoffroad stackable bumpstops, and a sye/front driveshaft combo.

4.3LXJ
01-26-2014, 07:00 PM
I think that the TJ coils provide 2" less. We put my 3" coils on my son's TJ and got 5" by measurement

XJMikey
01-31-2014, 12:08 PM
I think that the TJ coils provide 2" less. We put my 3" coils on my son's TJ and got 5" by measurement

Stock 4.0-TJ coils provide 1" less lift (lower spring rate, I guess). Aftermarket coils have a higher spring rate (180 - 270lbs-in), so your son's TJ getting 2" of lift would be expected.

4.3LXJ
01-31-2014, 01:14 PM
Yes, agreed. The XJ coils do have a higher spring rate, which is part of the difference in height gain