PDA

View Full Version : $4,000 budget

Stevelee5
01-09-2014, 03:51 PM
I have a bone stock 99 cherokee sport auto 4.0 3.55 gears.
I want to lift, gear and armour.

Budget does not include running 33 inch tires.
I live in the Central Valley of Ca and we have some righteous trails.
What should I start with?

I have to have the work done at a local 4x4 shop at about 50.00 an hour

Firemanray
01-09-2014, 04:48 PM
Is there any possible way to wrench on this thing yourself, or with a friends help? You could build a MONSTER for 4k, not so much maybe if you have to pay to have it done.

I would put a proper lift on it to start with, long arm, SYE, the works, then you have a good foundation to work from after that.

Stevelee5
01-09-2014, 05:01 PM
That is good advice, looking at the TNT 4.5 long arm as a platform to start, will use entire budget because I have to work without distraction, so cannot do myself or with buddies. 2600 for LA, 300 for slip, 300 for Drive line and 300 for shocks 1000 to install. 4500, over budget fast!

bluedragon436
01-09-2014, 05:25 PM
Is there any reason why you chose the TNT setup over any other LA setup?? I would say you can save yourself a bit and still get an outstanding performer running other companies for the LA setup.. Take a look at the Rough Country 4.5 LA (http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-suspension-lift-kit-perf689.html) lift @ 1299.95 or heck even the Iron Rock Offroad 4" LA (http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-X4CPK&Category_Code=PFX) kit @$1049.99 or their 5.5" LA (http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-X5CPK&Category_Code=PFX) @ $1349.99... All of these are great performers and will def get you out and back on the trails... Just other great options for you to check out if you haven't already that might save you a couple of bucks for other mods...

Stevelee5
01-09-2014, 07:25 PM
I have been looking at all those you mentioned, the iron rock mostly, that will fit nicely in the budget with all the needed accessories. Just want the best first time out of the gate with no regrets. 1st build and want to do it perfect.....

bluedragon436
01-09-2014, 07:36 PM
I know a few folks that run the RC LA lift (we have a few on here) and know a few that run the IRO LA setup and all of them love their setups and have said they haven't had any regrets in their decision to run which ever they chose to run... So I guess it is really all down to what you prefer, to have spend the higher amount on something that'll perform just as well as the lower priced product or save a little bit of money on something that will perform just fine for you and maybe even pick up a few other upgrades or mods in the process of the build...

4.3LXJ
01-09-2014, 07:55 PM
That is good advice, looking at the TNT 4.5 long arm as a platform to start, will use entire budget because I have to work without distraction, so cannot do myself or with buddies. 2600 for LA, 300 for slip, 300 for Drive line and 300 for shocks 1000 to install. 4500, over budget fast!

Seriously, 1000 is too much to install. I am not far from you and would do it for half, or even as a favor for that matter

TheBigDogg
01-10-2014, 12:37 AM
I have been looking at all those you mentioned, the iron rock mostly, that will fit nicely in the budget with all the needed accessories. Just want the best first time out of the gate with no regrets. 1st build and want to do it perfect.....

if you can get people to help that have descent mechanic skills, a lot of it is remove and install new parts, then you can use some of your $$ to re-gear, which will make you really happy on and off the trail :patriot:

07Negative
01-10-2014, 04:14 PM
Just some advise. Don't get a complete kit from TNT. It's way over priced. I just their long arm myself. But Have Clayton leafs and coils. I'm not sure about resent times and you may want to ask them. But they use to use Rubicon Express stuff to complete their kits. Having had a RE kit before, which it is not a bad. The Clayton leaf and Coils are my bias favorites.
And if I build another XJ. I would probably go with Claytons. Between those guys and Andy with Iron Man. These have been the nicest and no bs people to have ever done business with.
And please explain as to why not do it yourself? I didn't completely comprehend it. Sorry, I'm slow.
Depending how court goes for me in February. I'd be down to help ya out. Just provide beer and the hookers.

Stevelee5
01-10-2014, 04:38 PM
Great point. I have pretty closely narowed it down to the 4 inch iron rock LA.
Then i get the sye, bilstens, drive line, and gears. May be pulling the trigger on this set up.

Doing it myself is dicey, tools, no how, patience, time, skill. Very limited mechanical understanding of susp. Not to mention work 6 days a week.

xj-jake
01-10-2014, 05:12 PM
Then i get the sye, bilstens, drive line, and gears. May be pulling the trigger on this set up.

Doing it myself is dicey, tools, no how, patience, time, skill. Very limited mechanical understanding of susp. Not to mention work 6 days a week.

You won't be disappointed with the IRO set up that's what I'm running. I've done plenty of business with them guys. They offer the doetch tech shocks too which is what most of those guys run if I remember correctly. Maybe some has a better opinion of the dtech shocks compared to the bilsteins. But I highly recommend the IRO stuff.

07Negative
01-10-2014, 05:42 PM

You and I sing the same song in regards to working 6 days a week.
having the patience is why we have all the awesome cuss words we have. You even start piecing them together and creating new ones. As my mother always told me, "They're only nuts and bolts. Stop being a pussy!" I was 8. But she had a point. She just didn't teach me the technique it took to get the damn things apart. :) So my point is. Don't let your limited amount of knowledge get the best of you and your wallet. After installing the lift kit. You'll have a pretty damn good understanding of your XJ. What bolts are a PITA and the such. Though any of us could tell ya which ones those are too.
Now tools I can understand. Ever since the ________(insert your favorite curse word here) stole my tools outa my garage. I find myself in the same situation. But I've ponied up the coin to buy some nicely made in China (or forged in China) Crapsman I mean Craftsman tools. They work though. But even at that. You can hit up a Sears. Throw $500 towards tools and damn near have everything you need for day to day tasks.
Is this also your only vehicle? You driving this thing to work all 6 days a week?

TheBigDogg
01-10-2014, 05:58 PM

Here is an idea, hook up with a local off road group and find out if they have garage days, where they help work on each others vehicles, you can get a lot of help and knowledge that way, plus you can help others out and get experience

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Stevelee5
01-10-2014, 06:51 PM
This is an extra vehicle, don't need it at all for transportation, just weekend recreation.

bluedragon436
01-10-2014, 07:14 PM
The IRO is a good setup, and I know the DT shocks are ones they recommend to allow the most flex out of the setup... Like Harry said above def look into any local off road clubs while you are collecting all your parts, and then join one of their garage days... or even get up with Steve and you could learn quite a bit working with him to get your rig setup the way you want it...

Stevelee5
01-10-2014, 07:42 PM
Ok, here we go, I have secured the help of two friends, one very good mechanically and one double lefty like myself. We are going to put this thing together. 4 inch Iron rock long arm. Should I attempt the gearing as well? Can I run 4.56 with 32 inch tires? Also should I install a e lock or one of those lunch box lockers? Or wait and put in arb with a compressor set up?

bluedragon436
01-10-2014, 07:48 PM
I myself personally would say leave the gears to either a shop or someone that knows what they are doing.. but that is just my opinion!!

Stevelee5
01-10-2014, 07:53 PM
Ok gears at shop!

07Negative
01-12-2014, 09:35 PM
For the rear locker. A lunch box locker is nice & cheap, but still works great. I think if you spend an time driving on snowy roads. It's nice to have a selectable locker in the rear.