PDA

View Full Version : More to address

samike0781
01-07-2014, 05:53 PM
Ok xj friends, I have another issue, an older one I've been putting off but might want to work on it while I wait for my suspension parts to be shipped. I believe it's in the steering wheel because everything else checks out electronically. First off, when I bought the jeep, I had to replace the multifunction switch to the left of steering wheel, however recently, if I hit a bump just right, my brights come on, the horn goes off and runs continuously(I unplugged speakers and pulled the fuse fir now), my airbag light flashes on and off, and every now and again my Speedo and tack gauge drop to zero, (pops right back with a small love tap on the dash). Loose ground? Pinched wire? What should I be looking for?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

Brasscatz
01-07-2014, 06:04 PM
I'm thinking your clock spring may need to be replaced

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

samike0781
01-07-2014, 06:08 PM
Pretend I don't know what a clock spring is? Lol. Where is it and how would I know if it needs replaced?

Brasscatz
01-07-2014, 06:45 PM
I'm kinda hoping somebody else will weigh in here, because the issue might also be your connectors in the back of your instrument cluster. Usually, just removing it and cleaning it can help solve the issue and is a heckuva lot cheaper than a new clock spring.

The clock spring is a round disc in your steering column that contains a coiled up "spring" of wire that all of your steering wheel controls and other things are connected to. Airbag lights are often caused by faulty clock springs. See pictures below.

Brasscatz
01-07-2014, 06:48 PM
Does your cruise control work? (if equipped). Also, if you don't mind, please fill out your vehicle info in the User Control Panel so we can quickly reference your year model and other vehicle info ;)

samike0781
01-07-2014, 06:51 PM
No cruise control, I'll go finish filling out my bio, thanx

Brasscatz
01-07-2014, 07:03 PM
Sweet, thanks buddy. I would try taking the gauge cluster out and cleaning up the connectors first. That just might do the trick and doesn't cost anything but time. At least the airbag part, but probably not the headlight and horn thing. That just sounds more like clock spring to me.

samike0781
01-07-2014, 07:46 PM
No thank you guys, I'm new in this forum and y'all have been more he'll to me already than anyone else has since I picked up my xj 8 months ago

grainofsalt
01-16-2014, 06:33 PM
my airbag light flashes on and off, and every now and again my Speedo and tack gauge drop to zero, (pops right back with a small love tap on the dash). Loose ground?

For this you need to take the gauge cluster out and clean the contacts. Extra points if you also put some dielectric grease on the contacts before reinstalling.

jimmixj
01-16-2014, 09:40 PM
Hi Michael,
It sounds like you may have 2 separate issues. Think Jim's right about the gauge cluster connector being loose, dirty etc. Specially at the 150k plus mark those little slipper pins start to lose tension and the plastic dash can also get loose allowing the connector to back out. As to the headlights/horn deal, do you know what type of column you have? . If its the Chrysler version it will look like a later model Dakota or suchlike with a larger housing like the picture Jim showed a few posts back. In that case could be a clockspring or the attachment of same causing a short under the steering wheel. All of the parts to that setup are prone to damage as they are plastic. I've seen the little insulators on the horn attachment screws go away too which will cause the horn to blow randomly, usually when u don't want it to. Well, guess that's 3 things, ain't it?

samike0781
07-19-2014, 06:14 PM
Turns out all the wiring was a hell of a mess, I met this ol boy who turned out to be pretty genius with auto wiring, pinched and crimped wires under steering assembly, chopped up stereo wiring with a lot of splicing that leads nowhere, and a bad relay box under the hood. A new wiring harness, relay center, and some delicate wiring, and my a.c. blows super cold, horn and lights work great, no static in my stereo, all is well behind the dash and under the hood. Only took 6 months to address this issue. Thanks for the advice

4.3LXJ
07-19-2014, 07:01 PM
You are welcome. Glad you are with us