PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Wounds XJ for the Veterans

TheBigDogg
01-07-2014, 04:57 PM
I am here to let you know about a build I am going to be doing to support the Veterans. It is called Hidden Wounds XJ, why Hidden Wounds you ask? Many of our retuning Veterans are coming home with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and or Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI). PTSD and TBI are hidden wounds and our Veterans need help, finding the resources and information to get them the help they need. I want to build a XJ up to take to car shows and off road events, I will have information and resources to share with the Veterans and the public. I am a Veteran with PTSD and I am getting the help I need, now I want to give back to my fellow Veterans and make sure they will get the help they need and deserve. :patriot:

I started a facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/hiddenwoundsxj
please follow it, I will be updating often with the progress of the build.

07Negative
01-07-2014, 05:12 PM
Ur a long haul from me but we're in the same state. My mom is in Shafter w her husband. You need help?! Holler! I'll drive down and do what I can. I'll donate $ or parts or lab/skill.

TheBigDogg
01-07-2014, 05:16 PM
Ur a long haul from me but we're in the same state. My mom is in Shafter w her husband. You need help?! Holler! I'll drive down and do what I can. I'll donate $ or parts or lab/skill.

How far away are you?

I did start a payal account just for this, but I will post it later :patriot:

07Negative
01-07-2014, 08:51 PM
It takes me about 6-7 hours drive. I'll have a HP D30 (stock 3.55) available possibly a 8.25 29 spline w locker 3.55. Kinda depends when this all takes place & how involved you wanna get. I gotta NP231 that needs some love. And I'm sure I can gather other parts from a buddies garage. My moms husband welds and knows machine work. My mom is badass with a wrench.
It might be worth while to start a Kickstarter thingie.

TheBigDogg
01-07-2014, 11:32 PM
It takes me about 6-7 hours drive. I'll have a HP D30 (stock 3.55) available possibly a 8.25 29 spline w locker 3.55. Kinda depends when this all takes place & how involved you wanna get. I gotta NP231 that needs some love. And I'm sure I can gather other parts from a buddies garage. My moms husband welds and knows machine work. My mom is badass with a wrench.
It might be worth while to start a Kickstarter thingie.

Wow that's a lot of stuff, I am still searching for a XJ, but getting those diffs ready early would be nice, can swap them in when the lift goes on. :patriot:

what is a kickstarter thingie?

07Negative
01-08-2014, 03:20 PM
Kickstarter is a way to collect donations. Musicians, non profits, inventors will set up a campaign to raise funds for projects. There's a few verities of this Kickstarter concept.
I know a guy up here in Oakland who has a 96' XJ in red. Clean as all heck. It just won't pass smog. I'm not sure how much he wants for it. But I can ask. It's low mileage too (130-160k). 4.0L.
I'm not the best of fab guys. But I've got a buzz box welder & about 100lbs of rod. Can make a track bar, drag link, & tie rod. And possibly a long arm kit. It'll save a stupid amount of money. Unless a kick butt vendor wanted to contribute.

TheBigDogg
01-09-2014, 07:47 PM
Would be nice to get some vendors to help out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

bluedragon436
01-09-2014, 07:53 PM
I think this program would be an awesome project, not to mention getting the word out there to those that don't know of the hidden wounds/scars that our military members current/past have had and have to deal with every day... I would say see if you might not be able to get up with some other great programs to if nothing else help promote this, or allow you to "sponsor" using their names... so that way some folks or even vendors might be more incline to donate or help seeing a name or organization they know of have heard of backing this project or supporting it... Might not really help so much as them giving money or anything but getting organizations that folks have heard of would def help.. Get in touch with HeroOffroad, WWP, WFTW and groups like those, like I said if nothing else they might even be able to help you get the word out there or get things lined up to help you get the word out there or get some useful support...

TheBigDogg
01-09-2014, 07:56 PM
I think this program would be an awesome project, not to mention getting the word out there to those that don't know of the hidden wounds/scars that our military members current/past have had and have to deal with every day... I would say see if you might not be able to get up with some other great programs to if nothing else help promote this, or allow you to "sponsor" using their names... so that way some folks or even vendors might be more incline to donate or help seeing a name or organization they know of have heard of backing this project or supporting it... Might not really help so much as them giving money or anything but getting organizations that folks have heard of would def help.. Get in touch with HeroOffroad, WWP, WFTW and groups like those, like I said if nothing else they might even be able to help you get the word out there or get things lined up to help you get the word out there or get some useful support...

I was going to contact Armando at Hero, I am going on a trip next week to Colorado with the WWP, was going to try and get some info and who I need to contact

xj-jake
01-10-2014, 05:19 PM
Here's an idea. Why not sell "spots" on the jeep to fund this project? Sell a 3"x4" space for someone to have a friend or family member remembered or just to put their own name in there saying they made a donation to the project. Should be a pretty easy way to fund an awesome rig for a great cause.

TheBigDogg
01-10-2014, 05:33 PM
Here's an idea. Why not sell "spots" on the jeep to fund this project? Sell a 3"x4" space for someone to have a friend or family member remembered or just to put their own name in there saying they made a donation to the project. Should be a pretty easy way to fund an awesome rig for a great cause.

That's an awesome idea, I do have a PayPal account set up for the build already. I was going to build a Web page for the build, could have the names of the people who donated like scroll across the top of the Web page

TheBigDogg
01-23-2014, 01:47 AM
There is a link for the facebook page and web page in the signiture

TheBigDogg
02-25-2014, 09:51 AM
Hey everyone, I have a raffle going on, it is on the Hidden Wounds XJ facebook page: www.facebook.com/hiddenwoundsxj :bacondance:

matchframe
02-25-2014, 12:31 PM
Thanks for doing this.

PTSD hit home hard for us. My brother-in-law is a retired Army Colonel who flew attack helicopters for the 160th Special Forces. He came really close to committing suicide around last Thanksgiving. My wife and her sister did an intervention and were able to hook him up with some really good help. I helped to connected him with some of his war buddies who all get together now and work through their PTSD together. It's a daily battle.

I never served, but all of you guys who did serve have my greatest respect. Most folks wear jerseys of their favorite teams, I wear military surplus PT Shirts in honor of my favorite teams, the US Military. I have one for each branch.

bluedragon436
02-25-2014, 12:33 PM
Thanks again for your program Harry... Will def be doing the raffle to see the continuation of this great program!! I've gotten to meet, and "hang out" with quite a few veterans both @ Landstuhl hospital shortly after coming in from the fight... as well as back here in the states... Many of them you can see are hurting with pain inside, that no one can ever imagine... as well as many that you can't tell the pain they are feeling or fighting inside...

TheBigDogg
02-25-2014, 12:56 PM
Thanks for doing this.

PTSD hit home hard for us. My brother-in-law is a retired Army Colonel who flew attack helicopters for the 160th Special Forces. He came really close to committing suicide around last Thanksgiving. My wife and her sister did an intervention and were able to hook him up with some really good help. I helped to connected him with some of his war buddies who all get together now and work through their PTSD together. It's a daily battle.

I never served, but all of you guys who did serve have my greatest respect. Most folks wear jerseys of their favorite teams, I wear military surplus PT Shirts in honor of my favorite teams, the US Military. I have one for each branch.

Thanks for your support

graverobberjk
02-25-2014, 12:59 PM
although I cant officially speak for him, if you ever need parts at a good price hit up Mark (xj4life2)...I can tell you that the owner of the shop he works at is a vetran and Mark himself has a soft spot for vetrans also, hit him up and see what he can do for you if you ever need it...I think what your doing is amazing and I will be finding the facebook page and sharing it with my Jeep club ( Military Jeepers Fort Hood Chapter)

TheBigDogg
02-25-2014, 01:03 PM
although I cant officially speak for him, if you ever need parts at a good price hit up Mark (xj4life2)...I can tell you that the owner of the shop he works at is a vetran and Mark himself has a soft spot for vetrans also, hit him up and see what he can do for you if you ever need it...I think what your doing is amazing and I will be finding the facebook page and sharing it with my Jeep club ( Military Jeepers Fort Hood Chapter)

Thanks, I am still in the market for a XJ, I have a big check coming soon from the VA, I have a raffle going on in the Facebook page right now trying to raise a little money for parts

bluedragon436
02-25-2014, 01:08 PM
Have you ever heard of or checked out MilitaryJeepers (http://www.militaryjeepers.com)?? I am a member on there, and there would probably be quite a few folks from that site that would hit up the raffle and/or donate for a great program for fellow veterans!!

graverobberjk
02-25-2014, 01:12 PM
Have you ever heard of or checked out MilitaryJeepers (http://www.militaryjeepers.com)?? I am a member on there, and there would probably be quite a few folks from that site that would hit up the raffle and/or donate for a great program for fellow veterans!!

I am an active member of the Military Jeepers Fort Hood Chapter and most of our members are active in wounded warrior project and Wheeling For the Wounded and your right...they would support something like this...I have already shared this with my chapter

TheBigDogg
02-25-2014, 01:45 PM

I use to me a member, maybe my log on still works, thanks, I will post over there right now

bluedragon436
02-25-2014, 01:55 PM
I use to me a member, maybe my log on still works, thanks, I will post over there right now

Not saying you have too... was just a thought though... figure would hope if anyone would give some support, it'd be some folks there.. at least you'd hope so!!

TheBigDogg
02-25-2014, 02:13 PM
Not saying you have too... was just a thought though... figure would hope if anyone would give some support, it'd be some folks there.. at least you'd hope so!!

no, thanks for the suggestion, I just posted over there

TheBigDogg
02-25-2014, 02:14 PM
I am an active member of the Military Jeepers Fort Hood Chapter and most of our members are active in wounded warrior project and Wheeling For the Wounded and your right...they would support something like this...I have already shared this with my chapter

thanks for sharing

bluedragon436
02-25-2014, 02:18 PM
no, thanks for the suggestion, I just posted over there

Just found your post over there, and posted a welcome back!! Figure get some posts in there to get people to stop in..

TheBigDogg
02-25-2014, 02:21 PM
Thanks

TheBigDogg
02-26-2014, 12:39 PM
I got some Hidden Wounds XJ stickers coming in, let me know what color you guys want

1 for $8 or 2 for $15

bluedragon436
02-26-2014, 01:24 PM
I got some Hidden Wounds XJ stickers coming in, let me know what color you guys want

1 for $8 or 2 for $15

What is the specs as far as size for the decals??

TheBigDogg
02-26-2014, 01:35 PM
What is the specs as far as size for the decals??

they will be roughly about 6x6 and look like this:
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk215/thebigdogg49/sticker5_zpsd1a158ea.jpg (http://s281.photobucket.com/user/thebigdogg49/media/sticker5_zpsd1a158ea.jpg.html)

bluedragon436
02-26-2014, 01:41 PM
Yeah I saw them on your FB, just wasn't sure what size they were.. Cool thanks...

TheBigDogg
02-26-2014, 01:43 PM
Yeah I saw them on your FB, just wasn't sure what size they were.. Cool thanks...

I still have some of the bigger ones I gave away, they are about 7.5"x7.5" and all I have is white

TheBigDogg
02-26-2014, 02:00 PM
I left a voice mail for the talk show, I hope they play it on the air, and I hope I don't sound corny

casaintsfan
02-26-2014, 06:40 PM
Do you plan on doing the other design of decals? I would buy a windshield, 2 smaller ones for the back side windows and one for the back window.

sent from a cup and some long ass string

TheBigDogg
02-26-2014, 06:42 PM
Do you plan on doing the other design of decals? I would buy a windshield, 2 smaller ones for the back side windows and one for the back window.

Hey casaintsfan, let me talk to my sticker guy and see, how big would you like the windshield one and what color

casaintsfan
02-26-2014, 06:48 PM
Hey casaintsfan, let me talk to my sticker guy and see, how big would you like the windshield one and what color

When I get a minute I'll measure for all three sizes

graverobberjk
02-26-2014, 08:09 PM
I would deffenitly be down for a sticker for my JK

TheBigDogg
02-26-2014, 09:49 PM
I would deffenitly be down for a sticker for my JK

I take PayPal @ [email protected]
1 sticker is $8 and 2 for $15

TheBigDogg
02-28-2014, 09:12 PM
who wants to order some stickers?

Brasscatz
03-01-2014, 11:59 AM
I'm interested. Are they solid, or just the lettering? I would love it in white cutout lettering

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

TheBigDogg
03-01-2014, 12:23 PM
I'm interested. Are they solid, or just the lettering? I would love it in white cutout lettering

they are cutout, I am just waiting on 2 more stickers to be orderd and I will put in the order to the sticker guy to have them cut

Remember everyone, I pay to ship them to you (US only for now) :patriot:

Brasscatz
03-01-2014, 01:34 PM
Cool, put me down for one. Do I just send ya $8 to your paypal?

TheBigDogg
03-01-2014, 01:36 PM
Cool, put me down for one. Do I just send ya $8 to your paypal?

Yes sir. PayPal: [email protected]

Brasscatz
03-01-2014, 02:05 PM
Money sent ;)

TheBigDogg
03-01-2014, 02:49 PM
Money sent ;)

Thanks

TheBigDogg
03-01-2014, 07:08 PM
A lot of cool stuff going on the Facebook page: www.facebook.com/hiddenwoundsxj :patriot:

TheBigDogg
03-02-2014, 09:42 PM
last week of the raffle going on my Facebook page
www.facebook.com/hiddenwoundsxj

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk215/thebigdogg49/CurrieSWAG_zps9262f25f.jpg (http://s281.photobucket.com/user/thebigdogg49/media/CurrieSWAG_zps9262f25f.jpg.html)

TheBigDogg
03-08-2014, 03:14 PM
Raffle ends tomorrow at noon

Brasscatz
03-10-2014, 04:47 PM
Woohoo!