PDA

View Full Version : Steering problem after lift

Red7delta
01-07-2014, 04:55 PM
Hello, I'm new to the forum, and have a strange problem where my steering fell good and tight to the left but it's loose and won't return to center when turning right. It also pulls to the right despite a recent alignment (Monday the 6th) and all was in spec
The xj has a 3" spacer lift and 31" BFG tires. I've replaced the tie rods, and got a new steering gear mounted to a new aftermarket spacer and brace, the control arm bushings have been replaced, I corrected the caster with shims, the ball joints are good. The tie rod at the pitman arm is new but the pitman arm is stock still. I've adjusted the track bar for the lift and the track bar is also new and the mount is tight. New steering stabilizer, sway bar bushings and 3" lift links, stock but good shocks. Wheel bearing hub assemblies were replaced
I think that's it.
I'm perplexed as to why my steering acts this way when the front end is basically brand new, and Google hasn't helped. This jeep is my first attempt at a lifted vehicle so I'm sure there's something I'm missing. So any help/guidance from the knowledgeable will be great.

Brasscatz
01-07-2014, 07:18 PM
I will suggest tightening the steering gear box. Should be able to get to it by removing the aux fan and give it a 1/4 turn and see if that helps.

4.3LXJ
01-07-2014, 07:38 PM
3" spacers only, or with other springs?

Red7delta
01-07-2014, 08:59 PM
3" spacers only in the front, stock springs.
I thought about tightening the gear box some. I heard that the cordone remanufactured xj steering boxes can be crap and faulty, anyone here agree?

4.3LXJ
01-07-2014, 09:00 PM
I don't know anything about them. But it costs nothing to tighten the box up

Red7delta
01-07-2014, 09:11 PM
This is true, but how it's seemingly fine left but sloppy to the right

4.3LXJ
01-07-2014, 09:23 PM
Tighten it up and go from there. Also, look under your front end while someone saws he steering wheel back and forth and see if there is stuff that moves that is not supposed to like track bar ends and tie rod ends

tommy guns
01-08-2014, 01:54 AM
I'm curious how you shim for caster. I think the problem is the 3" spacers with no long arm or adjustable lower arms.How was the rear lifted?

Red7delta
01-08-2014, 06:58 AM
http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm
This is what I used as a guide for caster adjustment. Caster was within spec according to the recent alignment.

The rear lift, is temporary. I intend to put S10 bastard pack together, but due to the Minnesota cold and lack of a winter back up vehicle it'll have to wait. So, for right now the rear is lifted by a set of helper coil springs. It's functional but too stiff.

mudslut
01-08-2014, 08:10 AM
I would say some things prob. loose............

Red7delta
01-09-2014, 04:53 PM
I can't find anything loose, used a torque wrench where I could. Control arms, tre, ect all check out. Checked tire pressure and found the right side lower than the rest, but even after fixing that (all at 26psi) the problem persists

4.3LXJ
01-09-2014, 08:20 PM
Sounds like it is down to taking a vid for us to see

Red7delta
01-10-2014, 09:16 PM
A vid eh, have to rig something up. Any specific part of the front end I should focus on?

4.3LXJ
01-10-2014, 09:43 PM
I was wondering what happens to all the stuff underneath when you are steering it back and forth. If we rule out all the stuff there then we are down to the steering box. Often a lift will exacerbate a minor issue due to the new angle of the drag link and track bar

jimmixj
01-12-2014, 09:47 AM
Worked on a Wrangler the other day that had the same problem but reversed. (Turned ok to right, sloppy to left) His track bar bracket was broken at the frame rail. Doubt that is your problem but it's worth a look. Also, have seen some problems with rebuilt boxes; easy check is to put the front axle on jackstands so wheels are off the ground, center the wheels then start the engine. See if the vehicle tries to steer itself to the right with no load. You might have to rev it a little while watching the front tire so an assistant will be handy!

Red7delta
01-21-2014, 03:59 PM
Well, I did some checking around. Took a good look at my tires and found I could see the right tire pointing off to the right while the left was straight. Lesson here is never trust the alignment shop. So I did the diy alignment job, and I replaced the steering box with a dodge durango's. I think the tire being misaligned for so long is having a small effect still, but the steering is much better than before, almost perfect. Second lesson, not to use remanufactured steering boxes.