PDA

View Full Version : Welcome whitdog54!!!

4.3LXJ
01-07-2014, 04:51 PM
Hi whitdog54, :welcome: to the :xjtalk: forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Be sure and check out our XJ TALK SHOW! (http://podcasts.xjtalk.com) It\'s about Cherokees! It\'s like a radio talk show, but from the Internet.

Check out our sister sites, http://www.WranglerTalk.com/ and http://www.di-dah-dit.com/

whitdog54
01-11-2014, 12:18 PM
Hey, just signed up to get some info, fix a few things and maybe do some upgrades.
Also like viewing other peoples builds and seeing new creative ideas.

I picked up a 99 cherokee, 159k, dark red, auto. Been great so far. I did plugs, a few oil changes because it was sludge coming out the first time. Now I'm averaging 18-19 mpg driving like a grandpa with 70% highway driving. My personal best was 21.8 mpg going from Mass to vermont.

Still have a few issues I'd like to fix.
Sagging headliner, best way to fix this? Id rather not pay someone.

Car seems to "buck" when getting on the gas from a stand still, almost like rear axle or tranny is shifting and moving into place LOL. I usually just get off the break and roll out on idle for a second before getting on the gas. Id like to fix it though if possible, my dads xj does the same thing.

Talk to ya soon!

bluedragon436
01-11-2014, 01:25 PM
:welcome: to :xjtalk: from Delaware!!

xj-jake
01-11-2014, 02:55 PM
Welcome to the forum! There's lots of good advice and good people on here. Someone will be able to help for sure. How about some pics of the Jeep?

4.3LXJ
01-11-2014, 03:03 PM
The headliner is easy to fix. Just remove it, then brush off the old foam and then reglue new material to it. That is the same way it would be fixed in a shop. You might check your motor mounts and transmission mount for that bucking.

whitdog54
01-15-2014, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking motor mounts or tranny mounts. Hard to do on these vehicles? I love the jeep so far, so simple and so easy to work on Oil change and plugs took me all of 45minutes. Great in the snow too! I've had some fun with it, gotten myself in a few tight jams that make me want a little lift and bigger tires. Or at least a winch!

Only picture I have is this for now:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c165/whitdog54/99%20Cherokee/1218131456_zps9007add9.jpg (http://s27.photobucket.com/user/whitdog54/media/99%20Cherokee/1218131456_zps9007add9.jpg.html)

The camaro takes up a lot of my extra cash and photo space:) video on the dyno:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c165/whitdog54/Camaro/th_prom248.jpg (http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c165/whitdog54/Camaro/prom248.mp4)

Some new wheels after the an unfortunate accident (lowering springs in the works) :
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c165/whitdog54/Camaro/DSC_0511_zps41628dd5.jpg (http://s27.photobucket.com/user/whitdog54/media/Camaro/DSC_0511_zps41628dd5.jpg.html)

bluedragon436
01-15-2014, 08:31 PM
I'd say pick up a lift and some decent MT toe or at least something similar to the Duratracs that'll keep ya going through the snow, mud and just about anything else your ventures might have you going through.. They are fun in just about anything you decide to try..

ETXXJ89
01-15-2014, 08:35 PM
im new here as well so welcome. As far as the headliner goes there is a youtube video on how to redo it from start to finish. I will look it up and post a link later

XJ Wheeler
01-16-2014, 12:36 AM
Welcome to the site. Trans mount is easy, just support the trans and remove the crossmember and mount. Just some nuts and bolts. Motor mounts, i haven't done. But have heard they're a bit of a pain, although i'm sure there is good and bad. I mean, you probably don't usually hear about the ones that went smoothly anywhere near as much as badly.

Sweet Camaro btw!

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

ETXXJ89
01-17-2014, 02:25 PM
Here is the YouTube link on how to fix a sagging headliner in your jeep. Jeep Cherokee XJ Headliner install - YouTube

whitdog54
01-20-2014, 07:36 PM
I'd say pick up a lift and some decent MT toe or at least something similar to the Duratracs that'll keep ya going through the snow, mud and just about anything else your ventures might have you going through.. They are fun in just about anything you decide to try..

Anything cheaper that you or the forum would recommend. was thinking about going back to just the regular wranglers because they're 81 bucks a piece! I was looking at some kenda klevers, 125 wasnt bad, but i heard some negative things about the snow.
I'm looking at 235/75/17s

I would like to lift a little, although I hear just an or 2 and a slightly larger tire really kills the MPGs, even with such little modification. I get about 17-19 which is nice, wouldnt mind an extra inch of clearance though, whether its from a taller tire or a body lift.

im new here as well so welcome. As far as the headliner goes there is a youtube video on how to redo it from start to finish. I will look it up and post a link later

Awesome video, thanks for posting that up! Once it gets a little warmer out it's one of the first things i want to tackle.

Welcome to the site. Trans mount is easy, just support the trans and remove the crossmember and mount. Just some nuts and bolts. Motor mounts, i haven't done. But have heard they're a bit of a pain, although i'm sure there is good and bad. I mean, you probably don't usually hear about the ones that went smoothly anywhere near as much as badly.

Sweet Camaro btw!

Hmmm the tranny moutns I can proably get done on a weekend then, I'm not a master mechanic, but I have a decent set of tools and moderate determination lol. Any brands of mounts I should stay away from or go with?

Thanks for all the replies!!

PS,
my wipers only work at low speed, whether in th elow position or the delay position. High works, but I'm not sure whats up with the delay setting. Also if i shut of the wipers, they odnt go down, they just stop in the position where i shut them off. Do i need to replace the lever, wiper motors, fuse, or amybe a combination of parts? :bang: not a huge ordeal, but a little annoying.

XJ Wheeler
01-20-2014, 07:54 PM
Oh yeah, that trans mount could probably be done in a hour, maybe a little more since its your first time. On what to get, i just go with the replacement at the autoparts store. To my knowledge, and i've looked, there's not a "performance" trans mount. The most important thing with these mounts living a long life is leaks. Oil and other fluids that leak out and get on the rubber and deteriorates it.

On that wiper setting problem i would think its gonna be the selector stalk, i believe that's the only item that would keep it from going from one speed to another. But, i don't have much experience with them so you should get others opinions.

Also, these jeeps are unibody. Which basically means the frame is built into the body. I saw you mentioned body lift, which, is impossible on these. Some have built "frames" for them but that's way too extreme for most everyone.

whitdog54
02-07-2014, 08:56 PM
Wonder how heard it will be to replace that damn switch!

Also, I think I have an exhaust leak at the manifold, when cold I can hear ticking during lower RPMs. Going to look into it more, maybe I just need to tighten up the manifold, but I have a feeling gaskets will need replacing.

XJ Wheeler
02-07-2014, 10:41 PM
Wonder how heard it will be to replace that damn switch!

Also, I think I have an exhaust leak at the manifold, when cold I can hear ticking during lower RPMs. Going to look into it more, maybe I just need to tighten up the manifold, but I have a feeling gaskets will need replacing.

Sadly one common issue with these jeeps the factory exhaust manifold welds cracking at the collector. You can try welding it up but it usually just develops another down the road so its best to just get it out of there in favor for a new one.

whitdog54
02-22-2014, 01:56 PM
Sadly one common issue with these jeeps the factory exhaust manifold welds cracking at the collector. You can try welding it up but it usually just develops another down the road so its best to just get it out of there in favor for a new one.

Can this cause running issues? I recently replaced my alternator due to an issue with it bucking and losing power until I really got on the gas. It started doing the same thing the other day, bucking and not having spark unless I really got on it. Battery new, alternator new. I am now throwing check engine light, which I believe is for both 02 sensors. I'm wondering if outside is affecting the 02 reading? Or if the 02 has just gone bad.

I've read a few threads about this issue, where you have to give it some gas to start up and then keep giving it gas to stay running. I had this issue with the alternator, but now tis happening again.... I'm hoping it's jsut the o2 sensor as I can get that from RockAuto for dirtcheap, but another alternator is pricey!

Been pondering the idea of just doing a chevy ls/4l60 swap haha I'm taking the 4l60e out of the camaro to upgrade to a 4l80e. Im sure people have swapped them into the cars before and with all the new EFI cnversion componets I wouldn't even need a harness. I would how ever need to somehow splice with the jeep electrical to retain all the other electronics, IE windows, radio, lights...... :crazy:

4.3LXJ
02-22-2014, 02:44 PM
I have a 4L60E. What engine are you running and why are you going this route?

XJ Wheeler
02-22-2014, 07:45 PM
I've heard a few times the TPS causing those kind of issues. Be worth testing it to make sure its up to par.

There have been people to transplant ls motors but a 4wd transmission would be better to work with, not the one from your camaro. Not sure if the tail could be changed or not, Steve may know on that one.

whitdog54
02-26-2014, 07:25 PM
I have a 4L60E. What engine are you running and why are you going this route?

I was just pondering the idea of a swap, but i'm sure even doing msot of the work myself, which I couldn't (havent learned to weld), I'm sure Id still be up around 5k. If I could do it, like mentioned by XJ wheeler, i'd probably grab the drivetrain from a 4wd chevy and run an iron 5.3 or or 6.0

I did some looking around and looks like you can keep the jeep tranny and transfer case with modifications.

I've heard a few times the TPS causing those kind of issues. Be worth testing it to make sure its up to par.

There have been people to transplant ls motors but a 4wd transmission would be better to work with, not the one from your camaro. Not sure if the tail could be changed or not, Steve may know on that one.

It was just the o2 sensors, and yes, crack in that dang exhaust manifold! Going to fix those and hopefully it'll be good for a while! These things are hit or miss it seems, my dad has had his 97 for almost 3 years and only has bought front tires and a muffler.

I've had both front windows break, that stupid plastic spiral clip wore out. Alternator, battery, 2 o2sensors and the manifold. Lets try and keep it at that!

Thanks for the help everybody!
:bacondance:

whitdog54
03-03-2014, 04:29 PM
Well it wouldnt be fun if it was easy.

02 sensors replaced, crack welded and fixed. Still getting some chattering from the back of the engine, it sounds like its coming from the top end, but someone had mentioned a loose stall? Anyone ever hear of such a thing happening to these.

Also, car runs better, would lose power around 1200-1600 RPM and require a nice push of the gas pedal, once I cranked up the RPMs once it was good....until I shut it off and started it again, but like before when big rev and it would stop driving or idling.

Well after 3 days of that nonsense it finally stopped doing that and to my surprise (not) check engine light is back on, car stopped bucking, still codes for front and rear o2. I'll get the exact codes tomorrow, just a quick update.

So odd how this jeep runs like crap with the check engine light off and up until the last month ran great with it on? Also that chattering/sticky lifter (i say that because it increased with the rpms til about 1200 then goes silent) is much less noticeable with the light on.

4.3LXJ
03-03-2014, 05:31 PM
With the O2 problem, it might have gone into limp mode, or the same as when it is cold which would be a rich mixture. I have heard of that happening over time with the O2 sensor code. Did you change the rear sensor too?

whitdog54
03-20-2014, 08:59 PM
With the O2 problem, it might have gone into limp mode, or the same as when it is cold which would be a rich mixture. I have heard of that happening over time with the O2 sensor code. Did you change the rear sensor too?

So I stumbled upon this thread about a fuse in the engine bay possibly being blown for the o2 heaters. Sure enough that fuse was blown. Replaced it, few days later Check Engine went off!!!

I also took off the throttle body and cleaned the crap out of it, along with the IAC valve.....idles like butter, starts better, smoother at low rpms. Wish I didn't wait this long to clean it.

BTW how hard was the 4.3/4l60e swap?

4.3LXJ
03-20-2014, 09:57 PM
So I stumbled upon this thread about a fuse in the engine bay possibly being blown for the o2 heaters. Sure enough that fuse was blown. Replaced it, few days later Check Engine went off!!!

I also took off the throttle body and cleaned the crap out of it, along with the IAC valve.....idles like butter, starts better, smoother at low rpms. Wish I didn't wait this long to clean it.

BTW how hard was the 4.3/4l60e swap?

Not easy. We are currently working on a 4.7 swap that will be much easier