PDA

View Full Version : Almost didnt start, but it DID!!!

dagod16
01-07-2014, 03:44 PM
It was at the new girlfriends house all snuggled up. Finally had to get up and start my jeep for use in about ten min. It was the coldest day of the year.
neg 16 degrees windchill was something like -37 to -45.

It cranked and cranked and cranked and finally turned over, and it didn't want to run very well. But it still did. I let it warm up for about 15 minutes.

I was impressed.

If I could just get it to stop grumbling. As it gets older it just seems louder and louder, and it runs fine. I feel like it grumbles louder when in 4 wheel drive. Any thoughts on that?

new muffler, rear diff is fine. Seems like it comes from the connection between the engine and tranny but it runs and shifts fine.

denverd1
01-07-2014, 04:03 PM
check your flexplate - in bellhousing where engine and tranny meet. mine grumbles too, haven't gotten under it, but its common for the bolts to loosen over time. there's a cover plate you remove then inspect the bolts.

07Negative
01-07-2014, 04:45 PM
Gotta be something in exhaust. The exhaust manifolds crack often and under certain conditions. At least your starter isn't caked in oil. For how much I bitch moan & groan. XJ's are the bees knees.

Brasscatz
01-07-2014, 07:20 PM
Have you had the catalytic converter replaced? If so, check the undercarriage for bridge trolls. I've run over a few and they've grabbed on to hitch a ride.

dagod16
01-07-2014, 09:16 PM
I think the cat is fine, but the flexplate thing sounds like that might be it.
Do you have a video with this included and how to do it.
The engine sounds great when sitting in the garage and we give it gas, just fine. Once I'm out on the road and moving it has a low grumble and it shifts fine. It grumbles louder in 4WD but again nothing is wrong except a louder grumble.

Brasscatz
01-07-2014, 11:50 PM
Another culprit could be wheel bearings if it is only doing it while moving

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

dagod16
01-08-2014, 06:03 AM
I know what a wheel bearing sounds like and this is not that.

Does anyone have a video on this? flex late thing.