PDA

View Full Version : Rear shocks

samike0781
01-06-2014, 07:13 PM
Bad news today, blew out my rear shocks, couple problems, I wonder if factory sized shocks will fit even in my 3.5" lift, I can't seem to find the shocks by the part# on the existing ones. Second problem, instead of the upper mounting brackets they welded pins to mount the shocks, it is my daily driver, what do I do that's fast and cheap

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
01-06-2014, 07:20 PM
Yes you do have to have longer shocks for that lift. Probably about 4" longer, but you need to measure at full droop the length you need. As far as those welds, no easy solution there unless you get an aftermarket shock mount. There are some that move the shock mounts inboard for longer shocks. But I cannot remember if they bolt in or weld in. You might check Zone for longer shocks. I hear they have a decent one

samike0781
01-06-2014, 07:23 PM
Don't suppose I could cot the weld on the pins and weld it back up with the new shock?

4.3LXJ
01-06-2014, 07:24 PM
Yes, you could do that

samike0781
01-06-2014, 07:28 PM
Ok, that's good news, just need to find an inexpensive set of shocks that'll do for now

samike0781
01-06-2014, 07:29 PM
Thanks LXJ

samike0781
01-06-2014, 08:59 PM
My head is about to explode from all the shock absorber shopping online, does anyone have 3.5"of lift on their xj? If so, what's a good shock and size to look into?

Brasscatz
01-06-2014, 11:13 PM
I have a 3" lift on mine but I have shocks from Rough Country for a 4.5" lift. They are really good shocks for the price. One piece of advice though, don't buy the shock boots to go on them because it's near impossible to get them on the darn things. Was a waste of money, those boots

samike0781
01-07-2014, 12:02 AM
I'm looking at skyjackers, other than $8 difference, hydro or nitro? What would be better, I'm leaning toward nitro

XJ Wheeler
01-07-2014, 01:51 AM
I have a 3" lift on mine but I have shocks from Rough Country for a 4.5" lift. They are really good shocks for the price. One piece of advice though, don't buy the shock boots to go on them because it's near impossible to get them on the darn things. Was a waste of money, those boots

Pretty sure there must be a pic somewhere in this big world of ours showing how much "work" goes into getting those darn things on... Isn't there, Jim?

:D

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Brasscatz
01-07-2014, 06:18 AM
I'm looking at skyjackers, other than $8 difference, hydro or nitro? What would be better, I'm leaning toward nitro

Hydraulic and gas charged shocks have the same amount of oil, the difference is the gas charge.
A hydraulic shock has equal amounts of dampening force in both directions. Gas charged shocks usually are pressurized with Nitrogen. Hydraulic shocks have a tendency to fade as the oil heats up and gets agitated by the shock, creating air bubbles. These air bubbles cause the shocks dampening ability to fade. The nitrogen charge keeps the air bubbles under control, so they can not affect the shocks performance. A gas shock will extend on its own due to the gas charge.

Source: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/hydro-vs-nitro-shocks-1182067/

Pretty sure there must be a pic somewhere in this big world of ours showing how much "work" goes into getting those darn things on... Isn't there, Jim?

:D

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

:smiley-laughing021: indeed my brother.... though I don't believe those pics are in my possession :camera:

drakan1908
01-07-2014, 07:47 AM

Shock boots will also cause the shock to rust. I had a set of ProComps that were severely rusted where the shock boot attached. My Skyjacker steering stabilizer has a boot on it and it has rusted to the point I will need to replace this spring.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

samike0781
01-07-2014, 07:53 AM
I keep hearing that. So definitely not worth the cool look?

denverd1
01-07-2014, 09:25 AM
shocks are like women. some are cheap and easy, others not so much. went for the cheap and easy route on mine. just forgot where they came from.... got a built in bumpstop.. Oh yea, doetsch tech. Super cool service, told me which ones I needed for the lift I have. fast shipping. I'm happy.

You can spend 200 a corner of go for the 50 each route like I did.

for mounting, get a set of bar pin eliminators. many choices out there

Infidel Edition
01-07-2014, 12:00 PM
If you don't tow with it... pull your rear sway bar.
The brackets are the right size for a "backyard" bar pin eliminator.
...you said the pin was welded?
...if you cut it, are the bolt holes still there?

yes = use the sway bar mounting brackets
no = you're gonna have to go custom on mounting the top.

samike0781
01-07-2014, 12:09 PM
Well everyone, I just ordered 2 new rough country hydro shocks, and a set of rough country bar pin eliminators. I'll keep you guys updated when I get them in and do the work, thank you all for all the helpful ideas

samike0781
01-07-2014, 12:13 PM
If you don't tow with it... pull your rear sway bar.
The brackets are the right size for a "backyard" bar pin eliminator.
...you said the pin was welded?
...if you cut it, are the bolt holes still there?

yes = use the sway bar mounting brackets
no = you're gonna have to go custom on mounting the top.

Not sure if the holes are still there under the welds. I'll redrill if I need to, bought bar pin eliminators do I don't run into this issue again. And yes I do tow but a helpful hint in a pinch

Infidel Edition
01-07-2014, 01:16 PM
You'll need the bolt holes for the eliminators that you ordered...
If they're gone ~ I'd reinforce and tap them / or weld the eliminators in place.

samike0781
01-07-2014, 07:51 PM
Found the bolt holes, apparently, the shocks they welded to the bottom of my jeep are just to the other side of where the bar pin eliminators should go, doors this mean they repositioned the factory shocks rather than upgrading?

4.3LXJ
01-07-2014, 08:56 PM
It just spells MICKEY MOUSE. Kind of a hack job for sure

samike0781
01-07-2014, 09:19 PM
Well, it wouldn't be fun if I didn't have things to fix, happy to do it and know it's right