PDA

View Full Version : New guy from KY, Daily Driver

drew23
01-06-2014, 01:34 PM
My name is Justin and I am a Newbie to the forum from KY. I have owned my Jeep for about 3 years and frequent a couple Cherokee sites from time to time. Decided to sign up since I have picked up some good tech from here. Hopefully going to do the S-10 main leaf lift when it warms a little. And overhaul the brakes. Just got done rebuilding the front drive shaft.

Thank for having me.
Justin

NW99XJ
01-06-2014, 01:37 PM
Welcome aboard Justin!
Thanks for signing up, always glad to have another Jeep enthusiast around.
The s-10 leaf spring mod is a great way to get a little extra lift, or to add some life back to a set of sagging stock springs.
Sounds like you've done some research over the years.
You have a direction you're going with the build?
Any chance we're gonna see some pics of your Jeep?
...oh, BTW... looks like your a VW fan too!... you're in good company around here! :D

drew23
01-06-2014, 01:41 PM
Welcome aboard Justin!
Thanks for signing up, always glad to have another Jeep enthusiast around.
The s-10 leaf spring mod is a great way to get a little extra lift, or to add some life back to a set of sagging stock springs.
Sounds like you've done some research over the years.
You have a direction you're going with the build?
Any chance we're gonna see some pics of your Jeep?
...oh, BTW... looks like your a VW fan too!... you're in good company around here! :D

Basically trying to add life in to the sagging butt syndrome. No real build coming just daily driver stuff. I would like a rack insdie the back like I have saw in a couple of the books so I could put my turnout and SCBA below and have room for extra stuff to be corded down on top. May try to build/buy one later. I'll see if I can dig up some pics. The one I put in my garage is an old pic from when I first got it fixed. It has changed some since then.

Big VW fan got a split bus, maybe be driving it someday....

XJ Wheeler
01-06-2014, 09:05 PM
Welcome to the site Justin. In good company for sure. Of course jeeps, by the sound of it yours needs some new pics taken. :D

Wouldn't mind some of that split too. I've been into VWs (aircooled) for a few years now. Like yours i hope to drive mine one day (ton of work needs done before then), a '74 standard beetle and a '72 squareback. What year and model is that bus? Love the older type 2s, one of my dream vehicles is a nice double cab. I can dream, right!

Back to the topic, feel free to post questions and concerns you have about your jeep. You'll learn we here are easy going and have fun, while respecting one another. Just like a bunch of friends.

Also, i see you're a fire fighter. Thank you sir for doing what you do!

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

drew23
01-07-2014, 08:30 PM
Pics will come when it gets clean from all the snow, ice, and salt we have been having.

Love the Aircooled VWs, been into them since I was 13 or so. I have several bits and pieces. I have 3 split buses, 1 toasty 60-61, 1 64' and one 65'. Hope to fix the 65'.

Thanks for the firefighter compliment. We run on average 400+ calls per year. Provide fire protection and rescue for about 75% of our county. Been at the rank of lieutenant for 3 years now. Also a state certified instructor. Just doing something I love.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

samike0781
01-07-2014, 08:59 PM
Welcome Drew, I'm new here myself, but finding the forum most helpful, great bunch of guys here, aside from jeeps, I'm a Chevy man myself. I'm with Jake in my appreciation of ur career. Thanks for the fight and rescues brother

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
01-07-2014, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the firefighter compliment. We run on average 400+ calls per year. Provide fire protection and rescue for about 75% of our county. Been at the rank of lieutenant for 3 years now. Also a state certified instructor. Just doing something I love.

Been there too brother

XJ Wheeler
01-07-2014, 09:19 PM
Pics will come when it gets clean from all the snow, ice, and salt we have been having.

Love the Aircooled VWs, been into them since I was 13 or so. I have several bits and pieces. I have 3 split buses, 1 toasty 60-61, 1 64' and one 65'. Hope to fix the 65'.

I'll be waiting on them! But no hurry.

Sounds like a very nice group you have there. Just to find one split is tough these days. I jumped on my squareback when i saw it setting in a junkyard, i'm sure you know how hard to come by they are as well. And parts, don't get me started. :rolleyes:

Sounds great. Its something i've respected and wanted to do for some time. But, like many my age i am undecided if that is what i would like to go into a hundred percent.

drew23
01-08-2014, 06:07 AM
My paying job is working for the local water/sewer utility company. I joined the department when I was 24. I had never had any thoughts about it until that week. I went down to see someone in the hospital and a fire engine was sitting there waiting on a medical helicopter to land. After visiting I thought, I may go talk to those guys and see what it takes to join. Went down talked for a few, went picked up an application, took an interview and it has been downhill since then:)

My only regret is I didn't start as soon as I was 18. We have a paid chief so we are technically a combination department but all the rest of us are volunteers. Our department seems a little different than other departments I usually see. Our chief is ex-national guard so it is run tight, no partying, drinking at the firehouse, etc. It is chief's way or the highway, and it works. He is fairly strict but, he takes care of his guys. We have nice equipment and a great bunch of guys. We have a dud every now and then but, who doesn't?

Thanks everyone for the welcome.

XJ Wheeler
01-08-2014, 02:37 PM
I've known a few volunteer fire fighters and they loved it. If i were to go into it i would be full time. Anything i go into, i go in whole heartedly. One of the big things i would say holding me back from it is i don't know if i can handle the medical portion. Never been great at handling the sad stuff.

But that is a great story, and sounds meant to be. Stay safe out there bud.

drew23
01-20-2014, 11:18 AM
If i were to go into it i would be full time. Anything i go into, i go in whole heartedly. One of the big things i would say holding me back from it is i don't know if i can handle the medical portion. Never been great at handling the sad stuff.

I don't think wholeheartedly has anything to do with full-time or volunteer. I know volunteer and career guys as well. I have seen career guys that are doing a job with no love for the job and I have a firefighter on my department that has more love and desire for the fire service than any other I have seen volunteer or career. Volunteering takes dedication. Rolling out of bed at 2 AM, walking out on a home cooked meal, missing family functions, etc. The paid guys are paid to be there but, a lot of those volunteer on their days off. Don't get me wrong, I would love a paid gig but they are hard to come by with roughly 75% of all firefighters being volunteer, and the closest paid gig with any chance of getting on (political reasons) is an hour drive on average.

I don't consider myself a hero. The Heroes of this country are those that have died on foreign or domestic soil to protect our freedom. I do what I feel I needed to do. I love the fire service. It is a close knit group of guys and girls that are together for a common good, to protect others. The late nights, early mornings, rain, cold, heat, etc are all part of it. Maybe those things are what brings us together, strengthens the brotherhood?

As far as the medical thing. Some departments deal with more of that than others. We have only had around a half dozen nasty incidents in the 7 years I have been on. Some places see that in a week. If it is something you feel you need to do I think everyone should follow the idea. If you don't like it you can step out and leave, never know though you may love it.

OK, I'm done. Sorry if it came out as a rant. Just wanted to give my piece on the firefighter thing. If it came out wrong, I'll erase it or the mods can delete it.

4.3LXJ
01-20-2014, 11:52 AM
Having been a professional firefighter and paramedic, there is one rule you have to abide by or the job will eat you up. When it is quitting time, the job stays there. There was always the 7 AM heart attack, mostly fatal, and the mid day and 11PM car accidents, sometimes fatal and nearly always bloody. If you take all that stuff inside and take it home you are heading for depression and divorce.

drew23
01-20-2014, 12:03 PM
Having been a professional firefighter and paramedic, there is one rule you have to abide by or the job will eat you up. When it is quitting time, the job stays there. There was always the 7 AM heart attack, mostly fatal, and the mid day and 11PM car accidents, sometimes fatal and nearly always bloody. If you take all that stuff inside and take it home you are heading for depression and divorce.

I agree, you have to learn to leave it on the rig or at the station. It can be tough but you have to do it for your family and yourself.

bluedragon436
01-20-2014, 12:08 PM
:welcome: to :xjtalk: from Delaware, Justin!!

XJ Wheeler
01-20-2014, 09:57 PM
I don't think wholeheartedly has anything to do with full-time or volunteer. I know volunteer and career guys as well. I have seen career guys that are doing a job with no love for the job and I have a firefighter on my department that has more love and desire for the fire service than any other I have seen volunteer or career. Volunteering takes dedication. Rolling out of bed at 2 AM, walking out on a home cooked meal, missing family functions, etc. The paid guys are paid to be there but, a lot of those volunteer on their days off. Don't get me wrong, I would love a paid gig but they are hard to come by with roughly 75% of all firefighters being volunteer, and the closest paid gig with any chance of getting on (political reasons) is an hour drive on average.

I don't consider myself a hero. The Heroes of this country are those that have died on foreign or domestic soil to protect our freedom. I do what I feel I needed to do. I love the fire service. It is a close knit group of guys and girls that are together for a common good, to protect others. The late nights, early mornings, rain, cold, heat, etc are all part of it. Maybe those things are what brings us together, strengthens the brotherhood?

As far as the medical thing. Some departments deal with more of that than others. We have only had around a half dozen nasty incidents in the 7 years I have been on. Some places see that in a week. If it is something you feel you need to do I think everyone should follow the idea. If you don't like it you can step out and leave, never know though you may love it.

OK, I'm done. Sorry if it came out as a rant. Just wanted to give my piece on the firefighter thing. If it came out wrong, I'll erase it or the mods can delete it.

Not wrong at all in my opinion. It gives me a better idea of what you guys deal with on a day to day basis.

Thanks again for your service, and to me... fire fighters are heros and should be treated as such!