PDA

View Full Version : Right now I hate this f***ing jeep

07Negative
01-05-2014, 08:41 PM
Damn starter went out & I'm 1.5 hour away from home. I'm sick. Tired. Pissed off about life. But at least I've got beer. I'm buying a damn Prius!

Firemanray
01-05-2014, 08:50 PM
Easy there!!!!! It's just a starter, not a hard fix, relax take a breath. Imagine yourself in a Prius, NOT, fix the Xj or turn in your man card. Good luck with it.

07Negative
01-05-2014, 09:01 PM
I'm just being a bitch. If I wasn't a lazy ass and fixed all the oil leaks. I wouldn't have to replace the damn thing twice a year. The plus side is I get to drink 4-8 beers before anyone notices I'm missing. :)

4.3LXJ
01-05-2014, 09:42 PM
Just stay in disguise Deejay

Hopkins
01-06-2014, 08:48 AM
Did you try the ole whack it with a hammer trick? Haha can't make the situation any worse. Enjoy the beer!

Joliet Johnny
01-06-2014, 09:16 AM
Prius comes with worse problems than the worst XJ. Nobody looks at the hidden cost there. Must get all food from whole foods, use really expensive Apple laptops, coffee MUST be from Starbucks or better, radio only gets NPR, beer isn't allowed only wine from places you can't pronounce, and cause you own an XJ I'm sure a whole new wardrobe is needed. A starter is cheaper and more fun than that other headache.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

prcjeep
01-06-2014, 11:13 AM
I'm just being a bitch. If I wasn't a lazy ass and fixed all the oil leaks. I wouldn't have to replace the damn thing twice a year. The plus side is I get to drink 4-8 beers before anyone notices I'm missing. :)

I'm with ya here on the damn oil leaks making the starters life about 6 months long, i just replaced mine less than two weeks ago. I have the o-rings for the filter adapter but haven't knocked it out yet.

07Negative
01-06-2014, 11:48 AM
Prius comes with worse problems than the worst XJ. Nobody looks at the hidden cost there. Must get all food from whole foods, use really expensive Apple laptops, coffee MUST be from Starbucks or better, radio only gets NPR, beer isn't allowed only wine from places you can't pronounce, and cause you own an XJ I'm sure a whole new wardrobe is needed. A starter is cheaper and more fun than that other headache.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I like your profiling. I damn near do it for a living. I do somewhat fit your rant though. Minus Starbucks. Their coffee blows something hard. Oh and NPR does get played from time to time. Just depends on the subjects or if I'm looking to get pissed and yell at the radio w my own dumb opinions.
Living in the Bay Area I've got a few friends that own a Prius. It's actually not that shabby. The lady & I opted for a VW golf TDi. 55mpg. 240 ft tq. It hauls butt and insanely comfortable for 3 hour car rides. I wear the same jeans day in day out. I'm not a important person. So spending 20% of my lousy income on clothes goes to jeep parts instead.
In regards to food. I value good food. So I'll spend a few extra coins on meat products from WF. I also drink a crap ton of beer. You can't beat their beer selection.

07Negative
01-06-2014, 11:54 AM
I'm with ya here on the damn oil leaks making the starters life about 6 months long, i just replaced mine less than two weeks ago. I have the o-rings for the filter adapter but haven't knocked it out yet.

I've changed those O rings 2 times in the past 2 years all 4 of em. Stupidest design ever! If you have access to a lift, the job is wicked easy & fast to do. I find it hard to get the leverage otherwise.

Steve: my existence is only noticed when the garbage needs taken out. Sure enough. I get home and it was the first thing I did. $150 for the new starter is taken out of the locker fund sadly.

nickyg
01-06-2014, 11:57 AM
The oil filter adapter will be a lil easier to get at when you take the starter out. Did your starter have a warranty?

nickyg
01-06-2014, 12:00 PM
I'll take a bad day in a Jeep over a good day in a Prius anytime.

07Negative
01-06-2014, 12:32 PM
I got the past 3 starters from NAPA Auto. I'm not too sure if this can be a warranty issue. It truly is my own fault for being negligent to correct the real issue. If they offer it to me. I wont complain.
I can't blame anyone for not liking a Prius. They do serve a purpose in dense areas like L.A or Bay Area. I will give credit where credit is due. Its a commodity vehicle. Rack up the miles until its dead. On to the next one. I really can't vouch for its long term effects environmentally speaking.

nickyg
01-06-2014, 12:40 PM
I like to poke fun at the Prius, (I think we all do) But a car is a car. Whatever fills your needs...If it was me, I would think about the Ford Escape Hybrid.. Just because it has a lil more room. Me getting into a prius will remind you of a canned ham.

07Negative
01-06-2014, 12:58 PM
A new starter through NAPA is 160 plus the core charge of 50. I might as well get a Mean Green starter for an extra 100.
The key ingredient for warranty. KEEP your receipts! Something I do not do!

abebehrmann
01-06-2014, 01:05 PM
A new starter through NAPA is 160 plus the core charge of 50. I might as well get a Mean Green starter for an extra 100.

Great point. I have a Jeep notebook that I modeled after my lab notebook at work. Whenever I do anything or buy anything for the Jeep, I just take a few minutes afterwards to write down a summary of what I did and tape in any receipts. That way two years down the line if I have any question as to what fluid, part# etc I used, I have a record of it that is WAY better than my memory. Yeah, I'm :crazy:...

07Negative
01-06-2014, 01:12 PM
I need to adopt that behavior. Great point.

4.3LXJ
01-06-2014, 04:09 PM

My NAPA store keeps track of when I make purchases. I currently have a starter with a lifetime warranty. Used it once already

4.3LXJ
01-06-2014, 04:11 PM
I've changed those O rings 2 times in the past 2 years all 4 of em. Stupidest design ever! If you have access to a lift, the job is wicked easy & fast to do. I find it hard to get the leverage otherwise.

Steve: my existence is only noticed when the garbage needs taken out. Sure enough. I get home and it was the first thing I did. $150 for the new starter is taken out of the locker fund sadly.

I hear ya. It is the honey do thing. My suspension budget just got interrupted by the pickup, so I hear ya there too

07Negative
01-06-2014, 05:28 PM
Don't tell me the pickup gave up. Those things last forever it seems.

4.3LXJ
01-06-2014, 07:09 PM
No, didn't pass smog by 3 ppm at idle. I had to get a new cat, which our fine government has boosted the price for us. New muffler and pipe too. I figured it was time

07Negative
01-06-2014, 07:34 PM
Throw some scotch bright pads in there. Or how about the junk yard? Might be worth it if its a few hundred bux. Possibly a few you don't have now. but its not a complete lose.

samike0781
01-07-2014, 07:49 AM
Great point. I have a Jeep notebook that I modeled after my lab notebook at work. Whenever I do anything or buy anything for the Jeep, I just take a few minutes afterwards to write down a summary of what I did and tape in any receipts. That way two years down the line if I have any question as to what fluid, part# etc I used, I have a record of it that is WAY better than my memory. Yeah, I'm :crazy:...

That's an idea that's always been there for me, I'll have to start a notebook myself, thanks for turning on the lightbulb above my head Abe

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

jimmixj
01-07-2014, 07:49 AM

Hey Deejay, I had the same problem on my 92 and my friends 96. The round O-ring they were giving me wasn't cutting it so I bought a cheap oil filter with the same size O-ring and used it. The square cut O-ring has solved the leak issue completely! Been over 6 months since I did that and not one drop has leaked out, from there at least! Ironically, the filter cost $2 less than the Oring kit! :crazy:

07Negative
01-07-2014, 04:57 PM
Say what? I've got all the O rings from the dealer. They are stupid cheap at $4.35. I use the wix filters, over sized. I thought I was going all the right things.

07Negative
01-07-2014, 05:07 PM
Good news is! I talked/convinced the Ms into letting me get another car. I told her I want truck. I do native landscaping and set up backyard or front yard gardens as a hobby. I usually haul several yards of compost. So I was thinking of picking up a disel truck. I like the square body ford F350's from the early 90's. I know nothing about disel trucks. So I've been paying attention to what the folks are using to tow 5th wheels and campers with.
I see more Chevy 2500 or 3500's. Then I see a ton of Dodge trucks. I'm not name brand bias. I just want a badass disel truck.

samike0781
01-07-2014, 06:02 PM
Good news is! I talked/convinced the Ms into letting me get another car. I told her I want truck. I do native landscaping and set up backyard or front yard gardens as a hobby. I usually haul several yards of compost. So I was thinking of picking up a disel truck. I like the square body ford F350's from the early 90's. I know nothing about disel trucks. So I've been paying attention to what the folks are using to tow 5th wheels and campers with.
I see more Chevy 2500 or 3500's. Then I see a ton of Dodge trucks. I'm not name brand bias. I just want a badass disel truck.

Must it be a diesel? Do you care much about gas mileage? I work for a granite monument shop and use a 95 Ford 1 ton dually with a 460 bored over .60" I have a steel flatbed and a lift on the back of it, can still put 5000lbs of granite in the back and drive like I had no load. Maybe something to think about.

07Negative
01-07-2014, 11:50 PM
I thought the diesel trucks got mileage? I hoping to get something that can pull a trailer and cover up the smell of these beer farts v

4.3LXJ
01-08-2014, 12:15 AM
You are supposed to vent those directly into the intake :D

samike0781
01-08-2014, 06:54 AM
The mileage is better in a "well running" diesel, however, the gas is more expensive and the maintenance will run a bit more costly

07Negative
01-08-2014, 08:40 AM
Got it. should just buy a Toyota.

4.3LXJ
01-08-2014, 10:26 AM
Deejay, my next truck will be an M1009 from Hundred Dollar Man. $3000 for a Diesel Chevy 1 1/4 ton with a Detroit in the rear.

bigjim350
01-08-2014, 10:54 AM
Used a Dodge diesel to tow my jeep out to the off road park the last time I went. Truck pulled the jeep like it was nothing at 70-80 mph and averaged 22mpg on the trip. Not bad for a 1995 truck with 300k miles.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

07Negative
01-08-2014, 12:03 PM
You call that not bad? I call that fantastic! What I would usually do in this case is talk to a few mechanics or if I see a fella that I can engage into a conversation about their truck. To get as much info needed. I'm seriously a fish outa water on the subject at hand.
I really do like Steve's frugal approach as well. I'd have to do a paint job on one of those service vehicles though. I can't do camo.

07Negative
01-08-2014, 12:08 PM
Side note. It would be awesome! To get one of those duces as a DD just to piss off that Bay Area crowd.

4.3LXJ
01-08-2014, 12:42 PM
That would make driving a pickup fun :D

XJ Wheeler
01-08-2014, 04:16 PM
Can't go wrong with a dodge with the 5.9 cummins 12valve, bulletproof engine. Ford 7.3s are the top too. All in all the 5.9 cummins and 7.3 powerstroke are the top two diesels to be put in light duty trucks (up to 1 ton). If you want it to not be well, slow, get a turbo since you're probably going older. I've been in an '02 F350 with the 7.3 pulling up to around 15k pounds on a gooseneck for several trips and it pulled strong, not the quickest but did it with a smile. I've also been in an '02-'05 dodge 3500 (srw) with the 5.9 unloaded and i gotta say it was fun. Unloaded these things have great power, but a pickup is kinda light in the back end for anything too fun.

One piece of info i can't stress enough... DON'T GET A 6.0 POWERSTROKE!!! I don't care if there's a model on the hood, only way anyone should get one is with a cummins swap to go with it. They're are the epitome of junk engines. And set ford back a ways when the had them in my opinion. We had an '03 f350 dually with the notorious 6.0 for not even two months and it started happening... stranded us in new mexico... at midnight... on an indian reservation... 40 miles from town. 2 weeks and $4k later we got to leave farmington, nm. Two weeks after that... egr cooler... another grand... cooked weeks later turbo goes out... $2k more. Truck set then on till we could trade it in... for a chevy gas engine 1-ton.

Also, be sure to use a fuel additive if you go diesel. These older systems were built on using a difference mixture of fuel and a few years back the government mandated "low sulfur diesel" to help with emissions. However, it got worse fuel economy, and proceeded to deteriorate the injectors of these trucks. Diesel shops got tons of work, and people got to shell out thousands to replace them.

Personally i would look for a mid -90s and up dodge with the 5.9. Got the looks and the engine to perform.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

OldFaurt
03-02-2014, 03:07 PM
I like your profiling. I damn near do it for a living. I do somewhat fit your rant though. Minus Starbucks. Their coffee blows something hard. Oh and NPR does get played from time to time. Just depends on the subjects or if I'm looking to get pissed and yell at the radio w my own dumb opinions.
Living in the Bay Area I've got a few friends that own a Prius. It's actually not that shabby. The lady & I opted for a VW golf TDi. 55mpg. 240 ft tq. It hauls butt and insanely comfortable for 3 hour car rides. I wear the same jeans day in day out. I'm not a important person. So spending 20% of my lousy income on clothes goes to jeep parts instead.
In regards to food. I value good food. So I'll spend a few extra coins on meat products from WF. I also drink a crap ton of beer. You can't beat their beer selection.

Our hole-fude here in Texas has a beer & wine bar in it that sells pressed sandwiches. And they give tastes of all the local Micro brews...
Texas has a good attitude!

Every now and then, venting a bitch or 2 keeps the sanity!
Friends understand what a spouse won't,
but you could get a bit of playful heckling now and again...!