PDA

View Full Version : I'm new here

samike0781
01-04-2014, 06:32 PM
Not just new to the forum, but relatively new to the jeep scene, 9 months ago, I got a 98 Cherokee sport, it's lifted 3.5" with 33" yokohama mud grips. I put on rough country fender flares and cleaned it up real good. Been working on the mechanical end recently, unfortunately, I took on someone else's project. Just had the 4.0 overhauled, but now, after driving it 9 months, I find a lot more it needs, a steering link system, bushings all the way around and tighter suspension, any suggestions? I joined the Morris 4x4 club but wouldn't mind finding a cheaper way to build a beautiful jeep. I'll certainly keep posting my progress

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

Firemanray
01-04-2014, 06:58 PM
Welcome, you've come to the right place. You'll find tons of useful information archived on this site. What you can't find everyone will gladly share.

Mudderoy
01-04-2014, 07:03 PM
Not just new to the forum, but relatively new to the jeep scene, 9 months ago, I got a 98 Cherokee sport, it's lifted 3.5" with 33" yokohama mud grips. I put on rough country fender flares and cleaned it up real good. Been working on the mechanical end recently, unfortunately, I took on someone else's project. Just had the 4.0 overhauled, but now, after driving it 9 months, I find a lot more it needs, a steering link system, bushings all the way around and tighter suspension, any suggestions? I joined the Morris 4x4 club but wouldn't mind finding a cheaper way to build a beautiful jeep. I'll certainly keep posting my progress

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

:welcome: Yeah Morris has the parts but they seem to be more than other places to me. We have a vendor RockAuto.com that I buy from. For sensors I go to the dealership and get the mopar parts.

I had quite a bit of drift in mine, but I found the pitman arm never was tight on the steering box. The nut was but the pitman arm was just going up to high on the spindle. I had a large washer made for it how it's tight and my steering it back to normal.

Best bet is to get under the Jeep with a flashlight and have someone turn the steering back and forth. You look for any movement that shouldn't be there. I think I was seeing about 1/16th of an inch play in the pitman arm, so it doesn't take much to have play in the steering.