PDA

View Full Version : Question about an '89 Cherokee

fasteddie760
01-03-2014, 12:38 PM
hey all... I have a question about an '89 cherokee with a 4.0. I have a chance to pick one up for a really good deal (I think).

It is a Limited Edition Black on Black, Gold Trim and Gold spoke alloy wheels, 4.0L 6 cyl engine, A/T, Leather seats.

But... it needs a battery (no biggy) and he said the previous owner over heated it. It runs but needs a new engine. I'm interested in doing a newer 4.0 swap into it, I just get it running.

My questions are... is it worth getting?

What would be the cost of the motor?

How good/ what size would the front rear axels be?

And how about the transfer case/ tranny?

Is '89 a decent year to get for a small XJ project?

Sorry for the questions, I don't know anything about the '89 XJ's. My last XJ was a 2001 so that I know a little about.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out on this..

Ed

4.3LXJ
01-03-2014, 01:09 PM
The question of whether or not it is worth it depends on what the price is. It is a nice clean rig, at least on the outside. The question of whether or not it needs a new engine depends on what the engine is doing. I suspect just replacing the head gasket will fix the engine. That is a common fix for that. But plan on a new radiator and flush the engine and make sure all the rest of the cooling system is up to it.

fasteddie760
01-03-2014, 01:34 PM
The question of whether or not it is worth it depends on what the price is. It is a nice clean rig, at least on the outside. The question of whether or not it needs a new engine depends on what the engine is doing. I suspect just replacing the head gasket will fix the engine. That is a common fix for that. But plan on a new radiator and flush the engine and make sure all the rest of the cooling system is up to it.

I can get it between $800-$1000.

Thanks,
Ed

4.3LXJ
01-03-2014, 01:49 PM
That could be doable. But check into that motor situation more clearly first.

XJ Wheeler
01-03-2014, 07:20 PM
Transmission would be the AW4, if your 2001 was an auto it would have had the same. Which is good because the Peugeot BA/10 5-speed that came in those was... expensive to repair and unreliable at best.

Transfer case would either be the NP231 or 242. Both are fine cases with plenty of aftermarket support. The 242 does however have the full time feature the 231 lacks (able to run 4 wheel drive on road in bad conditions)

Front axle will be a Dana 30 with the axle disconnect, which is a vacuum operated way of separating the longer axle shaft to save on mpg. It can be problematic though, but has many fixes/bypasses from free to $150.

Rear axle is gonna either be the Dana 35 (non c-clip, which is good, less likely to break and when it does the axle doesn't slide out of the housing while driving) or the Dana 44. The 44 is a much sought after factory axle in these but rarely do they arise in "finds".

For the engine i am concurring with Steve here, because a blown head gasket is the most likely issue caused by overheating and i find that often salers don't know much about what has gone wrong when they say "engine needs replaced". And in that case, like Steve said, cooling system will need replaced which gives you a chance to upgrade. It has what's known as a closed cooling system, works okay but harder to get air out and just an odd configuration in my opinion. But, if you're already replacing the radiator you're in most of the way to covering the cost of instead converting to an open cooling system (radiator, coolant bottle, and a few other pieces from a '91 or '92 and up, i can't remember exactly when they switched).

Overall, most cherokees are a lot alike. Yes things got tweeked through the years but all in all they are all great vehicles (although i personally would avoid the '84-'86 unless planning a drivetrain swap) and make for awesome platforms for everything from grocery getter to trail king.

On price i'm a bit cheap and see cherokees all over at good deals. And even though we don't know i would plan on the case which that engine did need replacing for budgetary reasons going around $700.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

fasteddie760
01-03-2014, 09:49 PM
OK... the motor has a knock in it. So the motor will have to be replaced. And since it's an '89 4.0, it would be an expensive fix? And he's pretty firm at $800.

And a good note, it's really, really clean. Never taken offroad. Owned by an older lady.

What y'all think?

Ed

XJ Wheeler
01-03-2014, 10:00 PM
The body being so clean means a lot to me, i've had a few with rust and beat up.

The motor isn't bad if you can find a donor vehicle to pull one from or a junkyard one in good shape. Craigslist can have some results as well. I would expect $200-400 for a good enough older motor. However it being an '89 i believe you'll need one from an '87-'90 (known as Renix), but i could be wrong on that. So, any that old could probably use a refresh since you have it out already for years of good service.

New blocks, and all the internals can be purchased as well. But of course, that route is more expensive.

I would go for it for $800 if you really like it, but knowing its a project.

4.3LXJ
01-03-2014, 11:56 PM
You can use a newer engine, but you will have to change the intake and all sensors and distributor over

XJ Wheeler
01-04-2014, 01:37 AM
You can use a newer engine, but you will have to change the intake and all sensors and distributor over

That must be what i was thinking of!

4.3LXJ
01-04-2014, 09:52 AM
You can in fact pick up a few ponies that way too

fasteddie760
01-04-2014, 10:29 AM

Is there a how-to for this? (i did a search on this but non of the links were very clear)

Considering a rebuilt long block from that era (88-90) is running $1500+, i'd rather just get a motor off Craigslist for a few hundred.

I am really trying to do this on a budget. Surprise my kid with it when he turns 16.

Thanks,
Ed

4.3LXJ
01-04-2014, 11:07 AM
Once you get the motor out Ed, then change the flywheel, crankposition sensor, coolant temp sensor, the temp gauge sensor and the entire intake manifold and exhaust header and distributor to the new motor. No how to on this here, but fairly straight forward. Then it will be a 4.0 with an updated head which will give you a little more horsepower

Metlic53
01-05-2014, 11:20 AM
The motor has a knock or tick? My 90 has been ticking since I bought it, it's just my rocker arms hitting the valve cover.