PDA

View Full Version : Hello - Wondering what kind of lift I could do on my jeep.

5150Revren
01-01-2014, 04:18 PM
Wondering what kind of lift I could do on my jeep.
I have seen that it should have:
springs- coil in front and leaf in back 3"
control arms for a 3" lift
sway bar for a 3" lift (if needed)

I drive at 75 a few times a month, freeway, and need the jeep to sit higher than it does now. I'm 6'6" so it would help.

Other things, a thunk when I stop a bit more sudden than a regular stop.
-A ticking when I start driving forward, thinking its the exhaust on the cross member.
-a tink/knock when I turn and am accelerating.

Thats about it. Hoping to get this thing better than current. But better fuel milage than I though.

E

Brasscatz
01-01-2014, 06:31 PM
Wondering what kind of lift I could do on my jeep.
I have seen that it should have:
springs- coil in front and leaf in back 3"
control arms for a 3" lift
sway bar for a 3" lift (if needed)

I drive at 75 a few times a month, freeway, and need the jeep to sit higher than it does now. I'm 6'6" so it would help.

Other things, a thunk when I stop a bit more sudden than a regular stop.
-A ticking when I start driving forward, thinking its the exhaust on the cross member.
-a tink/knock when I turn and am accelerating.

Thats about it. Hoping to get this thing better than current. But better fuel milage than I though.

E

Hello and welcome, a 3" lift would probably suit you fine though you won't need a new sway bar necessarily. Longer sway bar links should do you fine. Not sure about the other noises, but the thunk when you stop is most likely your motor mounts needing replacement. It may help cure some of your other sounds too.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

bluedragon436
01-01-2014, 06:32 PM
You could do a junkyard "bastard" lift build if you don't mind piecing it all together, or you could look into a 3" lift through Rough Country as they have some pretty decent pricing and products as well as customer service if/when you have any issues with their lift!!

XJ Wheeler
01-01-2014, 11:07 PM
Check out the u-joints for that tick/knock. There's ones at each end of each driveshaft and one on each front axle shaft, by the knuckles.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

5150Revren
01-02-2014, 04:53 AM
Hello and welcome, a 3" lift would probably suit you fine though you won't need a new sway bar necessarily. Longer sway bar links should do you fine. Not sure about the other noises, but the thunk when you stop is most likely your motor mounts needing replacement. It may help cure some of your other sounds too.

You could do a junkyard "bastard" lift build if you don't mind piecing it all together, or you could look into a 3" lift through Rough Country as they have some pretty decent pricing and products as well as customer service if/when you have any issues with their lift!!

Check out the u-joints for that tick/knock. There's ones at each end of each driveshaft and one on each front axle shaft, by the knuckles.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Thank you guys. This is something that I will be able to look at this weekend and hope to get fixed as well. I will try to post pics and a set-by-step.

07Negative
01-02-2014, 02:17 PM
Unit bearings could sorta make that sound. So could a worn out ball joint.

mudslut
01-03-2014, 08:21 AM
GO BIG or go home lol..............if you cant fit 35"s under it it aint big enough:D

TimmyTXJ
01-03-2014, 09:26 AM

Jim knows all about sloppy motor mounts. :)

Brasscatz
01-03-2014, 08:41 PM
Jim knows all about sloppy motor mounts. :)

Indeed I do! Good to see ya back on here Tim!