PDA

View Full Version : Write up on spark plug pack?

ArmyGuy45
12-31-2013, 09:33 AM
Anyone know of a good write up on it? I have researched on here but only found things about a distributer cap.

4.3LXJ
12-31-2013, 11:12 AM
I don't think we have one on the plug pack

ArmyGuy45
12-31-2013, 12:26 PM
I don't think we have one on the plug pack

Well if we dont have one by the time I get back to the US ill do a write up.

Brasscatz
12-31-2013, 05:20 PM
I have done them on other vehicles before, but haven't done one on an xj. Should be straight forward where you disconnect the battery, unplug the connectors, unscrew the screws on the coil packs and pull out firmly but gently.

ArmyGuy45
01-01-2014, 12:12 AM
I have done them on other vehicles before, but haven't done one on an xj. Should be straight forward where you disconnect the battery, unplug the connectors, unscrew the screws on the coil packs and pull out firmly but gently.

That is pretty much what I gathered about it but just wanted to see if there was a write up.

ArmyGuy45
01-02-2014, 12:22 AM
How often do we need to replace the coil pack vs the plugs?

Brasscatz
01-02-2014, 12:45 AM
Those things are expensive.... I honestly wouldn't replace them unless they go bad. If they do go bad, it should trigger a fault code.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 because my microwave couldn't do it

ArmyGuy45
01-02-2014, 12:48 AM
Awesome, thanks

RRXJeeper71
01-05-2014, 08:05 PM
what is the coil packs(2) relative life span?
I recently bought a 2001 and will be going through it with all new fluids and spark plugs
valve cover gasket,etc

ArmyGuy45
01-11-2014, 02:26 PM
what is the coil packs(2) relative life span?
I recently bought a 2001 and will be going through it with all new fluids and spark plugs
valve cover gasket,etc

I would say, if it breaks then fix it.

jimmixj
01-12-2014, 09:23 AM
As a mobile mechanic I see all types of vehicles and I can tell you this, in the ten-plus years those coil packs have been in use I've not seen one go bad. I'm sure they have because the aftermarket has them but IME it's rare. Like most coil packs and/or COP systems, the weak link is probably the plug boot.

RRXJeeper71
01-12-2014, 07:37 PM
As a mobile mechanic I see all types of vehicles and I can tell you this, in the ten-plus years those coil packs have been in use I've not seen one go bad. I'm sure they have because the aftermarket has them but IME it's rare. Like most coil packs and/or COP systems, the weak link is probably the plug boot.

Ok, how often should the plugs be changed, though?

RRXJeeper71
01-12-2014, 07:39 PM

Ok, if that is the case, how often should the spark plugs be changed?

jimmixj
01-13-2014, 08:53 AM
The same interval as a distributor setup should suffice...I change mine about once every 2 years but I only post about 5k on the odo a year. I work out of a shop truck so nearly all of my Cherokee's miles are wheelin and getting to and from wheelin. Also, I'm too cheap to buy really good plugs so....The biggest issue I've seen on mine is not the plugs wearing out but loosening up, so I check em for tightness about once a month. Oh yeah, as I mentioned before, check the boots when you change plugs; look for hardening and cracking of the rubber, and carbon-tracking. Usually that will show up as a tannish or grey residue near the plug end of the boot. Don't forget to use a little plug grease (DiElectric) on the boots before reassembly as this will help with the carbon tracking and make future maintenance easier.