PDA

View Full Version : My 96 xj project ideas

vincer20
12-30-2013, 06:16 PM
Hello all, new the jeep thing but have a family history of jeepers. I received my first jeep from my brother about a year ago, with no place to keep it i was ready to sell it but my pop told me he would stored it for me. Fast forward today i now own a home with garage:bacondance:, im ready to make the jeep represent me.

My plan is to build a fun DD that could do a little 4x4 and camping. First thing i will be doing is stripping the jeep to metal and restoring the whole frame. the interior will be tossed and hopfully swaped for a 2000 that my uncle is stripping for the drivetrain. i also want to do a diesel swap but dont want a rattle machine. so these are my questions.

will the interior swap easily
will a diesel swap rattle my fillings out

Thanks for any help you can provide. I will try and start a build log and take pictures. Ps sorry for the poor grammer.

Pookapotamus
12-30-2013, 07:10 PM
Hi Vince,

the interior should swap fairly easily, except you will most likely have to swap the wiring harness over as well, the newer dash probably uses different connectors, i have done a couple of interior swaps but never to a new style, i have swapped the 96 wiring harness in to my 92 shell and that worked quite easily but the newer style dash might be a whole new ball of wax.

as for the diesel swap, were you lucky enough to find a diesel XJ or are you just planning to swap in a different diesel? as for it rattling your filling out, not if its tuned properly.

also check out the link in my signature to see my build and maybe get some ideas of your own.

Pook

vincer20
12-31-2013, 10:18 AM
I plan to use a cummings 4bt or a om617. Anyone have any pros and cons on these motors, other than price?

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
12-31-2013, 10:55 AM
The Cummins motor is very heavy. I have heard that it wipes out the front frame down the road. I have heard that the Mercedes diesel is lighter and cheaper to install.

cantab27
12-31-2013, 03:41 PM
unless its a late modal TDI engine shes gonna rattle .........

Infidel Edition
01-07-2014, 12:08 PM
The Cummins motor is very heavy. I have heard that it wipes out the front frame down the road. I have heard that the Mercedes diesel is lighter and cheaper to install.

a friend did a 300 turbo diesel from an 84 Mercedes that didn't seem too over the top.
Got mid 30's for MPG.
...picked up the car on craigslist for like $350

He sold it just before he deployed and picked up a '74 Chevy step-side with the 4bt = needed to add bigger tires and over drive, but worked well in the Chevy.

vincer20
01-28-2014, 11:40 AM
ok little update got the jeep home and removed interior and found a heap of rust so i started cutting out the floor.

https://imageshack.com/i/e9htixj
https://imageshack.com/i/gizg3cj

my plan for text month or so it to remove the floor replace with omix oem 2 piece replacement floor. i will then add a full set of Offroad Engineering frame stiffeners and recoat the underbody with some kind of rust prevention, maybe por-15.

Infidel Edition
01-28-2014, 08:28 PM
now that's some Holly $h!+

sbspence
01-29-2014, 07:52 AM
Good thing you found it! Brasscatz you should've seen the tub of my 81 CJ7 that spent its life in Illinois. The hardtop was the only thing holding it together! Yikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk