PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak

Kellson
12-28-2013, 06:47 PM
Hello, I have posted about many things about my XJ, but now I have a real issue. After a 300-mile road trip, there is a terrible oil leak. Oil has been dripping for 24 hours straight now, I can't tell where it's leaking, but the entire underside if the car is pretty much covered in engine oil. I'm thinking it's time to go ahead and replace all the gaskets: valve cover, oil pan, rear main, and maybe the head gasket. What do you guys think? In addition, smoke comes from the back at high revs sometimes. Any help would be much appreciated.

Brasscatz
12-28-2013, 06:58 PM
Certainly wouldn't hurt to replace all those gaskets. Don't forget the oil filter adapter too. That's a common leak on these things

4.3LXJ
12-28-2013, 07:07 PM
There are three main sources of leaks for the 4.0 engine. One is the valve cover gasket, which only leaks in the back where it is hard to see. The oil filter adapter, which is just a matter of replacing the O rings in it and the rear main seal, which is not hard to replace as long as you can get the pan off.

Carves
12-28-2013, 08:54 PM
X3

Oil Filter Adapter,
Tappet Cover
Sump Gasket .... Was my actual problem on this XJ.
Rear Main.

Smoke is due to engine load ?? ... or is it just the leak, burning off on the exhaust ???

Bittner Julius
12-29-2013, 09:11 PM
An oil spill is the release of a liquid petroleum hydrocarbon into the environment, especially marine areas, due to human activity, and is a form of pollution. The term is usually applied to marine oil spills, where oil is released into the ocean or coastal waters, but spills may also occur on land.

07Negative
12-30-2013, 12:35 AM
How can you tell when a Jeep is outa oil? when it stops leaking. Hardy har har.
Like Steve said. Oil Filter Adapter all the way. There are 4 O rings. One of which is rather large. Its a simple fix. Minus the fact that the star bits (yes that's not the real name for em). But $50 will get you a set of em. The main seal I'd guess is next. If you got 120K miles or so. That's when I've notice them leakin. Not a hard fix, but you'll certainly use that vocabulary that's not permissible on this site.
But for the hell of it. Make sure the cap is on the valve cover. I've seen folks leave that off.

ArmyGuy45
12-30-2013, 04:13 AM
How can you tell when a Jeep is outa oil? when it stops leaking. Hardy har har.
Like Steve said. Oil Filter Adapter all the way. There are 4 O rings. One of which is rather large. Its a simple fix. Minus the fact that the star bits (yes that's not the real name for em). But $50 will get you a set of em. The main seal I'd guess is next. If you got 120K miles or so. That's when I've notice them leakin. Not a hard fix, but you'll certainly use that vocabulary that's not permissible on this site.
But for the hell of it. Make sure the cap is on the valve cover. I've seen folks leave that off.

113K miles and my rear main is starting to leak. I am going to wait until after I lift it to fix it. I replaced the oil pan gasket at 88k (due to German regulations) and the pan was a PITA to remove!!!

cpttuna
12-30-2013, 05:26 AM
The oil filter isn't loose is it?

07Negative
12-30-2013, 09:18 AM
Why was the oil pan a PITA? My jeep leaks from everywhere it possibly can. All of which is getting address while I'm switching out axles.