PDA

View Full Version : Front slipping

Kellson
12-25-2013, 12:08 AM
Hello, I've been posting a lot on this forum and I really appreciate all the help. So today I found myself in a snow drift in my '89. I got towed out by a local who grabbed my Jeep by the front axle…hard. And now it seems that some component of the front drivetrain is slipping!! I don't know yet if the problem also occurs in 2WD, but given that the front axle took a big jerk today and then the problem started in the front I assume the problem lies somewhere in the front diff and will hopefully go away in 2WD. The problem feels just like when the front wheels loose grip and then gets it again really fast. Like something is slipping and then catching again. Definitely coming from the front though. Any ideas?

nickyg
12-25-2013, 12:32 AM
Front drive shaft maybe? Hang in there, more knowledgeable help is on the way.

I'm not scolding you or anything, but when you get all the mechanical issues taken care of. you should invest in some recovery points. They pay for themselves the first time you get stuck.

Kellson
12-25-2013, 12:38 AM
Definitely agree with you RE recovery points. Also getting a nice snatch strap this week.

Mudderoy
12-25-2013, 02:28 AM
Hello, I've been posting a lot on this forum and I really appreciate all the help. So today I found myself in a snow drift in my '89. I got towed out by a local who grabbed my Jeep by the front axle…hard. And now it seems that some component of the front drivetrain is slipping!! I don't know yet if the problem also occurs in 2WD, but given that the front axle took a big jerk today and then the problem started in the front I assume the problem lies somewhere in the front diff and will hopefully go away in 2WD. The problem feels just like when the front wheels loose grip and then gets it again really fast. Like something is slipping and then catching again. Definitely coming from the front though. Any ideas?

Doesn't the 89 have vacuum disconnect in the front axle? I wonder if you have a damaged vacuum line or the mechanism that engages/disengages the collar inside the tube.

Firemanray
12-25-2013, 08:37 AM
Does this "slipping" occur only when turning, driving straight or both. Tony may be right, if it is more noticable while turning it is because the front is " locked".

Kellson
12-25-2013, 09:51 AM
No it does it noticeably when going straight. Seems to be worse in higher gears.

msmoorenburg
12-25-2013, 10:14 AM
Get your alignment checked

4.3LXJ
12-25-2013, 10:46 AM
First check the 4WD function. With the engine running, put it in 4WD and park and jack up one front wheel. Spin it. If it spins, then it is not working. If it doesn't, then it works.

If it does spin, checking the front axle disconnect would be in order. Make sure the vacuum lines are hooked up. If they are, pull the yellow and white line. One of them should have a little vacuum on it. Check it with the finger over the end test. If it does not have vacuum, check all lines back to the transfer case. If connected, then the vacuum switch is probably bad. If it has vacuum at the disconnect, then the diaphragm is probably bad

Kellson
12-25-2013, 06:27 PM
After a nice drive today, I can confirm that the problem only happens in 4WD, when power is applied. But the 4x4 is working great, had no problem bashing some snow today. I will check the vacuum lines as soon as I'm back in town