PDA

View Full Version : Just bought an XJ

1TUFFXJ
12-24-2013, 08:11 PM
Hi xjtalk.com!

I came on here when I was looking up if I should buy a Jeep Cherokee and seeing how happy all of you guys were with yours convinced me that I should. I just have a few questions about maintenance and such for it.

Specs of the XJ: 1992, 4.0l i6, manual transmission, 2WD, 155,000 miles

1) Next week I am planning on driving my XJ from Raleigh, North Carolina up to Norfolk, Virginia. What should I check out on my XJ before I drive it up there?

2) I plan on using it around 3 times a week to my college campus. It's 10 miles to college 1 way and the top speed I'll be hitting is around 45mph. I'm trying to keep this car all the way through college and money is going to be a bit tight but not too bad. The last owner has a bunch of new parts on it such as new hoses and belts and some electrical parts that I'm not too sure of. What are some things that I can do to it or change on it to make sure that it will last for the next 3 1/2 years?

Thank you guys!

4.3LXJ
12-24-2013, 08:21 PM
Welcome Miguel. A 2WD XJ is just about like most cars. Check the fluids, oil, coolant etc. The 5 speed is pretty much fool proof. These are simple machines and very little goes wrong with them. Properly maintained they will go for 300k

1TUFFXJ
12-24-2013, 09:00 PM
Welcome Miguel. A 2WD XJ is just about like most cars. Check the fluids, oil, coolant etc. The 5 speed is pretty much fool proof. These are simple machines and very little goes wrong with them. Properly maintained they will go for 300k

Thanks man. Any recommendations for good oils or coolant that will keep my xj running to the 300k+ mark?

4.3LXJ
12-24-2013, 09:13 PM
Coolant needs to be the green type, 50/50 mixture. Oil should be 10W40. Valvoline is the best because it has the most minerals in it for the flat tappet camshaft those engines have

tommy guns
12-25-2013, 03:16 AM
The 4.0 calls for 10W30.Why would you suggest 10W40?

4.3LXJ
12-25-2013, 10:38 AM
The 4.0 calls for 10W30.Why would you suggest 10W40?

Because as the 4.0 gets wear on it, the oil pressure will go down. It is a typical issue with any engine. The little extra viscosity will offset that a little. Also, the viscosity requirements in modern engines reflect CAFE standards for milage. The lighter the oil, the less pressure the engine develops and the greater milage. The same reasoning is what led to the infamous D35 rear ends we have. Less weight, more milage. Also there is the issue of engine heat. We all know the 4.0 runs warm. So particularly in the summer, the 10W40 is a good idea

1TUFFXJ
12-25-2013, 01:57 PM
Because as the 4.0 gets wear on it, the oil pressure will go down. It is a typical issue with any engine. The little extra viscosity will offset that a little. Also, the viscosity requirements in modern engines reflect CAFE standards for milage. The lighter the oil, the less pressure the engine develops and the greater milage. The same reasoning is what led to the infamous D35 rear ends we have. Less weight, more milage. Also there is the issue of engine heat. We all know the 4.0 runs warm. So particularly in the summer, the 10W40 is a good idea

Where should the oil pressure be at anyways? I'm not quite sure what it means but mine starts off at around 60 when I let it idle then once I start moving it moves down to around 45-50 I think.

Also one more thing, what are the other fluids that you suggest to take a look at other than the oil and coolant?

4.3LXJ
12-25-2013, 02:36 PM
Transmission, transfer case and differentials

cantab27
12-25-2013, 03:21 PM
Transmission, transfer case and differentials

service the whole jeep mate ...everything steve has said ....then you have a history to start with and know its been done then you know when next service is.......

this dude has a good site ...

http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoService.htm

1TUFFXJ
12-25-2013, 11:18 PM
service the whole jeep mate ...everything steve has said ....then you have a history to start with and know its been done then you know when next service is.......

this dude has a good site ...

http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoService.htm

Thanks for the link there. I think I'll go ahead and do all that is listed there then follow the intervals listed after that. Really helpful link there man. It mentions automatic transmission all on the site though, is anything different for a manual?

cantab27
12-26-2013, 01:13 AM
unless the manual is whining or jumping out gear should be sweet ....thing with manuals is they are a easer fix than autos

saar
12-26-2013, 09:36 AM
If the radiator has plastic tanks, I would replace it with a new all metal radiator.
The plastic tank will explode (yes, explode) or break, usually without any "warning".
pay the extra ~$150 now and save your engine...

My 2 cents :)
Happy holidays...
Saar

1TUFFXJ
01-18-2014, 06:52 PM
Hi friends its me again. I figured I would just bump this instead of making a new thread. On monday I plan on flushing and changing the coolant the way the flushing article suggests. Does anyone know how much coolant the 1992 xj sport takes? I picked up a jug of peaks 50/50 green coolant/antifreeze but I wanted to make sure it was enough before I started. Also with that type of coolant do I need to mix it with water 50/50? Thanks as always.
Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Brasscatz
01-18-2014, 07:38 PM
I would have 2 jugs to be sure you have enough, though I can't remember how much the system holds exactly.

For the second question, if you bought a 50/50 mix already, there's no need to mix any more water to to since it's already pre-mixed for you.

XJ Wheeler
01-18-2014, 11:29 PM
Yep, one isn't gonna be enough. I typically end up using around one and a half and have the excess for emergencies.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

4.3LXJ
01-18-2014, 11:29 PM
Around 12 liters I think. But that is if you have completely drained the block. There is at least a half gallon that you cannot get out from the water pump by pulling the intake hose

ArmyGuy45
01-19-2014, 03:23 AM
:worthlesspics:

1TUFFXJ
01-19-2014, 07:09 AM
Alright thanks guys I'll go ahead and pick up another jug before I tackle this. One more thing. On the bleeding and flushing thread he puts in prestone flush fluid first. Do you put the flush fluid on top of the old coolant or should I drain everything first then fill up with flush fluid and water?

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

drakan1908
01-19-2014, 07:13 AM
Drain the old then put in flush and water. Make sure to secure the old fluid and dispose of properly to keep animals out of it.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk