PDA

View Full Version : Death Wobble

Kellson
12-23-2013, 09:57 PM
Hey everybody, I have an '89 with 167k miles. The death wobble happens to me sometimes, although it sounds like I have it easy. I was doing about 75 today with no problems. But when the front wheels hit a bump, it seems like some component is thrown out of balance and the shaking begins. That being said, I only had to deal with the wobble four times today on a 160-mile journey. If anyone has any easy solutions please let me know!

BTW the jeep is stock but will have a 3" lift and 31s on in a month or so—will this make the problem worse?
Thanks!

4.3LXJ
12-23-2013, 10:07 PM
Yes, it will be worse with a lift.

The first thing to do is have someone saw the steering wheel back and forth while you look underneath at the steering components. Everything should be solid, but you will undoubtedly find some joint or bushing that is not, such as the track bar bushing etc.

saar
12-24-2013, 12:04 AM
You should find which component is worn, I would lift the jeep earlier and replace every suspected item:
When you install the lift, you will probably replace the lower control arms - that might help (new bushings, no play there)

You should replace the upper control arms bushings (or the arms themselves)

As mentioned, check the track bar bushing (or replace it, if you haven't till now)

Check the steering shock absorber and wheels alignment.

nickyg
12-24-2013, 06:29 PM
when was the last time the wheels were balanced?
when I had D.W. it was the track bar mounting bracket on the frame side. 2 of the 4 bolts were rusted away. Freshly balanced tires seemed to help it a little bit.

I agree something is worn out and will not get any better with a lift.

Hey guys, help me out. since it's getting a 3 inch lift would this be a good time to replace the track bar with an adjustable one or something? Just thinking outloud.

4.3LXJ
12-24-2013, 06:33 PM
That would be a good option

Kellson
12-24-2013, 07:41 PM
Thanks everybody for the help! Now that I have a list of suspects I'll get to work. Definitely the lift will come after I pay for repairs. Slowly figuring this thing out

Kellson
12-24-2013, 09:34 PM
Can I do all these repairs in my garage with jack stands?

4.3LXJ
12-24-2013, 10:19 PM
Yes. If you have stands and a jack you can do just about anything to an XJ

nickyg
12-25-2013, 12:42 AM
garage is optional.