PDA

View Full Version : Need Help - Check Gauges/No Start

Hopkins
12-21-2013, 03:17 PM
I need some help troubleshooting an issue with my 98.

First of all when I go to start the engine, I will turn the key in the on position, wait for the chimes, and then when I turn the key to the start position all I hear is a click coming from the engine compartment. Also I have noticed when the click happens there is a small spark coming off the negative battery terminal connection. All connections and grounds(the ones I can see) looks clean with minor to no corrosion. When the click happens all the electronics (interior lights, chimes, etc...) turn off. So I close the door, wait a couple seconds and all electronics are back. I went through this a couple times and the lights were starting to dim, so I guessed it was the battery. I attached a jump box to the battery and she started right up. Let the Jeep run for an hour and then tried to start again... click. At this point I assumed the battery was bad.

Today I replaced the battery with an Optima Redtop. Installed the battery and electronics were strong. Went to start and all that happened was click. I jumped the Jeep and let her run for 30 mins, turned off and went to start back up and click. I jumped her again and took her for a drive just to get her out and moving. A couple minutes into the drive the Check Gauges light came on and the Voltmeter spiked all the way to the right/high limit. Stayed on for 30 seconds to a minute, then went back off. Stayed off for 5 mins, then came back on and Voltmeter spiked again to the right. Stayed on for 2 mins or so, and then stayed off for the rest of the drive(20 mins).

Here is what the gauges looked like:
http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p620/HopkinsH3/IMAG0181.jpg

Where do I need to start looking? Alternator?

4.3LXJ
12-21-2013, 04:49 PM
Just the voltmeter?

Hopkins
12-21-2013, 05:04 PM
The voltmeter is the only gauge that spikes when the check gauges light comes on. I'm wondering if it could be a loose ground?

Firemanray
12-21-2013, 05:05 PM
Check your battery cables first for the "click" not start. If you have a DVM (digital volt meter), check the voltage at the battery with engine off, check while cranking, check with engine running. Engine off should be around 12.5v, engine running around 13.5v.

Some of the 98's have a connection problem at the instrument cluster that causes random gauge malfunction and check gauges lights. I fix mine by slapping the top of the dash. There is a proper write up about this somewhere, I've read it, may take some searching to find.

Having said all that you may have another problem not related to anything I've said. Get the volt measurements and post 'em.

mudslut
12-21-2013, 05:09 PM
I need some help troubleshooting an issue with my 98.

First of all when I go to start the engine, I will turn the key in the on position, wait for the chimes, and then when I turn the key to the start position all I hear is a click coming from the engine compartment. Also I have noticed when the click happens there is a small spark coming off the negative battery terminal connection. All connections and grounds(the ones I can see) looks clean with minor to no corrosion. When the click happens all the electronics (interior lights, chimes, etc...) turn off. So I close the door, wait a couple seconds and all electronics are back. I went through this a couple times and the lights were starting to dim, so I guessed it was the battery. I attached a jump box to the battery and she started right up. Let the Jeep run for an hour and then tried to start again... click. At this point I assumed the battery was bad. MAYBE STARTER RELAY

Today I replaced the battery with an Optima Redtop. Installed the battery and electronics were strong. Went to start and all that happened was click. I jumped the Jeep and let her run for 30 mins, turned off and went to start back up and click. I jumped her again and took her for a drive just to get her out and moving. A couple minutes into the drive the Check Gauges light came on and the Voltmeter spiked all the way to the right/high limit. Stayed on for 30 seconds to a minute, then went back off. Stayed off for 5 mins, then came back on and Voltmeter spiked again to the right. Stayed on for 2 mins or so, and then stayed off for the rest of the drive(20 mins).

Here is what the gauges looked like:
http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p620/HopkinsH3/IMAG0181.jpg

Where do I need to start looking? Alternator?

Hopkins
12-21-2013, 05:31 PM
I'll take those volt measurements tomorrow and get them posted up. I'm also going to check and. Lean my grounds. Are there any grounds in specific that I should be looking for?

Thanks for the replys. I really appreciate the help.

Mudderoy
12-21-2013, 06:25 PM
It's a good idea to clean the posts and cable connectors at LEAST when you switch batteries. That spark may be an indication of a gap, or something acting as an insulator. It doesn't take much to keep the 600 amps necessary to flow though the battery during start up.

$2 battery terminal and connector cleaner for the win!

Firemanray
12-21-2013, 07:52 PM
I'll take those volt measurements tomorrow and get them posted up. I'm also going to check and. Lean my grounds. Are there any grounds in specific that I should be looking for?

Thanks for the replys. I really appreciate the help.

Your description leads me to believe any grounding issues you have are located at the battery. Definitely start there. Beyond that I'm not sure where to look.

Hopkins
12-22-2013, 11:42 AM
First off I want to thank you guys for helping me solve my no start issue. I used a multimeter to start at the battery and follow the power until I found where the loss of power was. Ended up that the connections at the starter were soooo dirty that almost no power was getting through. I used a can of electrical contact cleaner and some wire brushes and now the connections look good as new. Now she starts up like a charm... well kind of. Is it just an XJ thing for the starter to crank for a second or 2 before the engine fires? Or is that a sign of a worn starter?

Anyhow, Im glad I got her working again. Thanks again fellas!

Hopkins
12-22-2013, 01:37 PM
Disregard that last post as I am stranded in a parking lot awaiting my free tow from AAA. Same symptoms as earlier, but no check gauges light or voltmeter spikes. Although when I do try to start it I lose all power to the Jeep and it is not coming back right away. I just get a click and then power stays off for 5 minutes or longer.

Hopkins
12-22-2013, 04:19 PM
Update: I am leaving town tomorrow for a 1 week vacation. My buddy who is a master mechanic agreed that I can leave the Jeep with him while I am gone and he will get the XJ up and running while I am gone. Can't beat having friends that know things...

Thanks for the help guys!

Brasscatz
12-22-2013, 04:41 PM
Yay!.... and crap. Hope he gets it fixed up for ya, let us know what he finds