PDA

View Full Version : Steering column hell

Kellson
12-21-2013, 11:34 AM
Hey everybody, I've had my '89 XJ for about a month now and the steering column is a wreck. The horn goes off randomly, the high beams are stuck on, the blinkers don't work, and the ignition lock cylinder doesn't need a key to turn. Does anybody know what will solve all these problems? I've taken off the steering wheel twice now to take a look and there seems to be no way to remove the clock spring to get to any of the components.

Thanks
BTW there is no airbag

4.3LXJ
12-21-2013, 02:17 PM
Personally, with all those problems I would swap it out for another column

Kellson
12-21-2013, 02:32 PM
That would be a dream come true. Any idea where I can get one?

4.3LXJ
12-21-2013, 04:44 PM
I meant new used. Any pick and pull would probably have at least half a dozen you could get.

Kellson
12-21-2013, 04:50 PM
Ok does the column and the shaft all come in one piece?

4.3LXJ
12-21-2013, 04:56 PM
Yes, you would pull the whole thing out in one piece. The dimmer switch and ignition switch would be attached unless you unbolt them. This gives you an opportunity to upgrade to wiper delay and cruise if you can find the control boxes that work too. But more parts :D

jimmixj
12-22-2013, 10:21 AM
Hey everybody, I've had my '89 XJ for about a month now and the steering column is a wreck. The horn goes off randomly, the high beams are stuck on, the blinkers don't work, and the ignition lock cylinder doesn't need a key to turn. Does anybody know what will solve all these problems? I've taken off the steering wheel twice now to take a look and there seems to be no way to remove the clock spring to get to any of the components.

Thanks
BTW there is no airbag

Common problem with the XJ; we tend to hang on the wheel while wheelin and this, combined with an inherent flaw in the Saginaw column, causes the top of the mast jacket to break. This causes all sorts of trouble, best advice was given already; find a good used unit and replace it. Be aware there are subtle differences in features like signals, tilt, etc. and a big difference between standard and auto trans, although the mast jacket is the same for all. There are also some design changes that are year/model dependent so you will need that info when shopping. I've done this job about 2 dozen times and while not overly difficult it does require some special tools and experience. Best advice is to know exactly what you have and try to find a good used replacement from the exact same year and model. That way you can unbolt one column and bolt in the other without disassembly.
Good luck!