PDA

View Full Version : Best Tow Hooks?

Hopkins
12-21-2013, 10:46 AM
I have the my lift and tires going on in two weeks, but the one thing my XJ will be lacking are any acceptable recovery points. I need something that I can hook a tow strap up to and be strong enough to get yanked on by other vehicles w/o any damage. This is one of my major concerns b/c our unibody is a little more " sensitive"...

Am I best off installing a class 3 hitch in the rear? Iron Rock Offroad offers a nice front recovery system that connects to both frame rails, but it only attaches at 8 points(4 on each side). Is that enough? Also Rustys offroad has a nice kit w/grade 8 hardware, but it attaches t each frame rail separately which is a concern. Also is it best just to save up for a bumper and not mess around with adding recovery points? Which means I won't be hitting the trails until I can afford a bumper.

So what is the best option out there to add strong safe and reliable recovery points to your XJ?

Mudderoy
12-21-2013, 11:02 AM
I have the my lift and tires going on in two weeks, but the one thing my XJ will be lacking are any acceptable recovery points. I need something that I can hook a tow strap up to and be strong enough to get yanked on by other vehicles w/o any damage. This is one of my major concerns b/c our unibody is a little more " sensitive"...

Am I best off installing a class 3 hitch in the rear? Iron Rock Offroad offers a nice front recovery system that connects to both frame rails, but it only attaches at 8 points(4 on each side). Is that enough? Also Rustys offroad has a nice kit w/grade 8 hardware, but it attaches t each frame rail separately which is a concern. Also is it best just to save up for a bumper and not mess around with adding recovery points? Which means I won't be hitting the trails until I can afford a bumper.

So what is the best option out there to add strong safe and reliable recovery points to your XJ?

Recovery points are important front and back, but I think they are most important in the rear. A simple and fairly inexpensive solution is a class 3 hitch with a 2" receiver and one of these...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4105SPxSOQL._AA115_.jpg

We don't have a custom bumper on the back of my wife's TJ yet, so I put one of those on it.