PDA

View Full Version : What welder do you have?

abebehrmann
12-18-2013, 01:25 PM
I was wondering what brand and model MIG welder you have? Does it do everything you would like it to? If you had to buy a welder again, would you choose the same one? If not, why? I'm looking to purchase one sometime in the early part of the new year and am hoping to spend around $1k or less. Any tips or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Firemanray
12-18-2013, 04:15 PM
I've got a Millermatic 175 mig. It does everything I need it to do. I've had it over 8 years and never had a minutes problem out of it. I've also got a Lincoln precision tig 225 that will stick weld as well as tig.

I would not buy a cheapie welder, I've heard some folks using Harbor Freight welders and other cheapies with good result. It is a valuable tool that will last a long time if cared for. Take your time, save your lunch money and get something you can grow in to.

Fabricating is like crack cocaine, once you start you can't stop, your projects get bigger and more complex. You don't want to get frustrated trying to use a machine after you outgrow it.

4.3LXJ
12-18-2013, 04:40 PM
I agree

LTec 250 set up for mild steel, aluminum and stainless

abebehrmann
12-18-2013, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the responses! I could honestly afford a couple HF welders right now but don't want to buy something just to replace it a few months down the road because it can't do what I want it to. I've gone the cheap route on tools before and regretted it later. I will definitely look into the welders you guys suggested and try to find something with similar capabilities. My dad taught me to weld on a small Lincoln MIG when I was a kid and I really want to get back into it. Thanks again.
-Abe

bulrid8
12-19-2013, 08:22 AM
I have a Lincoln Promig 140. It does good for me right now. I would want a larger Miller, but do not have access to 220v right now, so I am stuck with a 110v.

Even at 110v stick with the top brands. I had a Hobart 140 before and loved it, did everything I needed it to do. I think the Hobart laid a nicer bead then the Lincoln. Just got a killer deal on the Lincoln, so I got it.