PDA

View Full Version : Trailer light blew running lights?

Metlic53
12-17-2013, 03:05 PM
Awhile back i was backing into my driveway, i didn't realize my trailer wires were dragging so they got caught under the tire and got ripped out. I couldn't find the side that ripped out so i went and got a universal from autozone, the wires didn't match up so i looked it up online and thought i had it right, i plugged the trailer lights in and they lit up for 5 seconds then i heard a zzzt come from the jeep. Now the only RUNNING lights that work is the passenger headlight and orange running light and drive headlight. All blinkers work and brake lights work but none of the other running lights work. checked fuses, all are good. What should i look into now? fusible link? I need to be able to drive it at night but only the passenger front running lights are on when i turn the lights on.

NW99XJ
12-17-2013, 03:13 PM
I cant remember if the late models have a separate fuse for the front and the rear.
Check all fuse panels, even the one under the hood, use a test light unless you want to pull each one out, one by one and give it a good visual inspection. If no fuses are blown, there may be an issue with the harness itself. The OEM tie-in is in the drivers side rear kick panel, not sure if you'll find a fuse back there, but maybe a fusable link?
The other thing that could have happened is you shorted out your flasher.
This is located behind the dash, in between the headlight switch and steering column.
Might be a good idea to go pull one from a junk yard just to swap it and see if thats an issue or not. Trying to test one is not impossible, but would be a lot more entailed than just swapping one out from a junk yard.
Check the bulbs, and check the sockets at all affected lights. And finally, double check your connections. You may have a short somewhere, especially if you have any of the old harness still in the system somewhere.

Metlic53
12-17-2013, 03:18 PM
I cant remember if the late models have a separate fuse for the front and the rear.
Check all fuse panels, even the one under the hood, use a test light unless you want to pull each one out, one by one and give it a good visual inspection. If no fuses are blown, there may be an issue with the harness itself. The OEM tie-in is in the drivers side rear kick panel, not sure if you'll find a fuse back there, but maybe a fusable link?
The other thing that could have happened is you shorted out your flasher.
This is located behind the dash, in between the headlight switch and steering column.
Might be a good idea to go pull one from a junk yard just to swap it and see if thats an issue or not. Trying to test one is not impossible, but would be a lot more entailed than just swapping one out from a junk yard.
Check the bulbs, and check the sockets at all affected lights. And finally, double check your connections. You may have a short somewhere, especially if you have any of the old harness still in the system somewhere.

All bulbs and connections are good just no power at any except the passenger front. i'll check the flasher out.

Metlic53
12-17-2013, 06:42 PM
put a new headlight dimmer switch and the same thing, the only running lights that are working are the passenger side lights........ugh....guess i'll take it to a shop

Brasscatz
12-17-2013, 06:54 PM
So you checked all fuses, does that include relays? How about testing the lights themselves... could've blown the bulbs

Metlic53
12-17-2013, 08:29 PM
Ok I fixed it. I didn't realize there were fuses inside the jeep. Number 7 was blown, all is well now!

Brasscatz
12-17-2013, 08:29 PM
Ok I fixed it. I didn't realize there were fuses inside the jeep. Number 7 was blown, all is well now!

:poke: :rolleye0012: ;)

NW99XJ
12-18-2013, 08:49 AM
Glad you got it fixed, and it was something simple!