PDA

View Full Version : Going to get Kermit

matchframe
12-16-2013, 07:59 PM
I am heading to Waco to load Kermit onto a car-hauler and bring him home. The cold weather killed his battery. I was going to have Allison go get one and talk her through installing it, but she got sick over the weekend. So I rented a UHaul car hauler for $50 - about what the gas would cost for Allison to drive Kermit home- This way she can just enjoy the ride instead of dealing with the traffic. So if you see a Maroon Z/71 Tahoe pulling a UHaul car hauler that has a green '97 XJ on it this Wednesday anywhere between Waco and Galveston give us a wave :) We will take I45 most of the way.

XJ Wheeler
12-17-2013, 03:50 AM
Good to hear from ya bill. Been following the bug on Facebook too.

Btw, not trying to mess with ya but why not just install the battery there?

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

matchframe
12-17-2013, 06:19 AM
Good to hear from ya bill. Been following the bug on Facebook too.

Btw, not trying to mess with ya but why not just install the battery there?

We thought about that but Allison still has problems driving in freeway traffic ever since her wreck a year and half ago. She does not let that stop her from driving, but she is still uncomfortable, especially around Huntsville where her wreck was. When I priced out the car hauler and it was only $50 for the day we thought it would do her good to just ride home since she is getting over the crud. I am bring a new battery with me to install since I really don't want to winch the Jeep onto the trailer.

The bug project is really fun since parts are cheap and I have no real deadline or a real goal for the finished look.

denverd1
12-17-2013, 11:19 AM
He's bringing it home so she can drive it back after she gets better.

is it a dolly or full trailer? if dolly, remember to put T-case in neutral, Tranny in park. I think for $10 more , you get a full trailer.... didn't realize that when I got a dolly last time. Good luck with the haul.

matchframe
12-17-2013, 11:34 AM
He's bringing it home so she can drive it back after she gets better.

is it a dolly or full trailer? if dolly, remember to put T-case in neutral, Tranny in park. I think for $10 more , you get a full trailer.... didn't realize that when I got a dolly last time. Good luck with the haul.

It's the trailer. I used a dolly once and swore never again unless there is no other choice. One day I plan to get my own car hauler. :thumbsup:

denverd1
12-17-2013, 11:49 AM
they can be finicky at best.

I've got a buddy that dabbles in a bit of everything. he'll trade for guns, trailers, atvs, whatver. He came across a 16' with decent floors and ramps for a steal. So I've joined the "trailer queen" jeep club. I tell ya its nice to be out wheelin and not have to worry about driving the rig home. Kept telling myself that while I was bouncing off rocks in 4lo and reverse. Got it out, put it on trailer and went home.

Also going to triple our money on an old RV. Scrapping the camper and selling it as 30' flatbed trailer.

XJ Wheeler
12-17-2013, 04:17 PM
Oh, i think i had missed something. She must be coming home for the holidays. I thought you were just bringing it all that way JUST to change the battery. ;)

I really wish i could get my '72 standard bug going and be wrenching on it.

matchframe
12-18-2013, 05:20 PM
She came home for the holidays. I think she has a month off. It was a good thing that I had the car hauler. When I started Kermit -which he started right away- trans fluid was spraying onto the exhaust manifold. I think if she tried to drive it home, things could have turned out badly. Now I have the next few weeks to find the leak and repair it.

Loaded up at Baylor

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/matchframe/kermit1_zps06aeb3fa.jpg

Filling the Tahoe up with gas at Bucees at Madisonville.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/matchframe/Kermit2_zps3c7e5f63.jpg

Made it home

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/matchframe/Kermit3_zpse9183e06.jpg

Brasscatz
12-18-2013, 07:14 PM
Glad to see it home ;) Pinion seal is pretty common leak on these... and maybe pretty close to time for new rear suspension on the Tahoe? lol

XJ Wheeler
12-19-2013, 04:06 AM
Glad it went well, and she was definitely being watched over with that leak. Enjoy the holidays bud!