PDA

View Full Version : Lift my xj

mudslut
12-16-2013, 08:35 AM
hi peps need help.... I have a 1986 xj with a 3inch longarm lift made by skyjacker I want to installe 3inch coil spacers ...Will I have to do any mods or just instale the spacers any help out ther on this........im new to this site love it..........................thanks

4.3LXJ
12-16-2013, 09:30 AM
You can get away with 3" spacers, but I think you would be happier with 2" spacers. But you will have to get front brake lines, longer shocks and new track bar. What are you going to do to the rear?

mudslut
12-16-2013, 05:10 PM
custom shackles on the rear ....no track bar off road only..

mudslut
12-16-2013, 05:12 PM
THANKS for the help ...I love this site lots of help in here

Firemanray
12-16-2013, 05:19 PM
I've got more than 3" home made spacers on mine and it's a daily driver. Here is a post with a picture.
http://www.xjtalk.com/showpost.php?p=99289&postcount=50

I sleeved the existing track bar and lengthened it to center the front axle and re-located the front brake line mounts to cure the brake line issue. It's all low budget but it's been running up and down the road a couple of years without problems. You can see some of the things I did in the thread that the post above came out of. Especially since you are off road only you can get away with a lot of low budget fixes.

mudslut
12-16-2013, 05:58 PM
you have a good looking xj thanks for the info mine will have a total of 6 inch 33 swampers its a chevy v6- hooker headers- all MSD ignition edlbroke 4brl carb iski cam 220 hp

mudslut
12-17-2013, 07:59 AM
firemanray can u add me to your friends list

mudslut
12-29-2013, 07:32 AM
:sad0147::sad0147::sad0147:
I've got more than 3" home made spacers on mine and it's a daily driver. Here is a post with a picture.
http://www.xjtalk.com/showpost.php?p=99289&postcount=50

I sleeved the existing track bar and lengthened it to center the front axle and re-located the front brake line mounts to cure the brake line issue. It's all low budget but it's been running up and down the road a couple of years without problems. You can see some of the things I did in the thread that the post above came out of. Especially since you are off road only you can get away with a lot of low budget fixes.

im having problems getting the arms 4ea. to line up some things not right looks like I need longer arms the inner ones on top of the axles

4.3LXJ
12-29-2013, 10:02 AM
If I am reading this correctly Gary, on the 86 there is a 1.5° difference in castor between the left and right side. This was done on purpose at the Dana factory. It makes it hard to get all the holes to line up on the control arms. You will have to use ratchet straps and such to get them to line up.

mudslut
12-30-2013, 10:25 AM
ok found out that I need longer arms just installing the 3 inch spring spacer on top of the skyjacker lift will not work longer arms are needed to place the axle where it should be............................100% on that it pulls the axle back towards the fender wells the tires will not fit and the springs are twisted back also buying the pipe today to make my arms 4 each and the side to side arm looks like part of the steering but its not weld and fab tomarow

4.3LXJ
12-30-2013, 10:31 AM
I thought you said you had long arms

mudslut
12-30-2013, 10:42 AM

they need to be longer it might be a 4 inch skyjacker lift with the 3 inch spacer 7 inch puts it all out off wack the sky jacker lift was on the jeep when I bought it so don't know if its 3 or 4 inch lift most likely 4 all I know its not working and to make it work longer arms are needed even the brace that runs side to side from axle to frame when u hook it up it pulls the axle to far towards the driver side

xj-jake
12-30-2013, 11:44 AM

If I'm understanding correctly what i think he's doing is adding the coil spacers to the existing lift kit that's already installed. If this is the case then there's many more things that will be needed including a SYE or at the very least a tcase drop which i don't think will work.

4.3LXJ
12-30-2013, 11:46 AM
I see. Just for your information, lets have some Suspension 101.

First, you need to know how much lift you have. Here is a link to explain how to do that.

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8144

After you figure that out, you need to know you have "short arms". That is front suspension links that use the stock frame mounts. Long arms will attach back by the transmission cross member and look like either of these long arms and will be around 32" long.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/Build%20Stuff/IMG_1316.jpg

The lower arm uses a short stock length top link, the upper is for a true three link.

The limit of practical lift on short arms is at 5". Above that the angle of the lower link is a little steep for good suspension movement when hitting bumps. It can be done, and some have done it, I just don't consider it practical. You can still use your short arms at that height if you use a drop bracket available from Rusty's. Otherwise you would be prudent to get a long arm kit. The highest practical lift is 6.5". Taller lifts should need steering upgrades because the tie rod ends will not handle the droop without damage.

xj-jake
12-30-2013, 11:54 AM
they need to be longer it might be a 4 inch skyjacker lift with the 3 inch spacer 7 inch puts it all out off wack the sky jacker lift was on the jeep when I bought it so don't know if its 3 or 4 inch lift most likely 4 all I know its not working and to make it work longer arms are needed even the brace that runs side to side from axle to frame when u hook it up it pulls the axle to far towards the driver side

The brace that you're referring to that runs from the axle to the frame is the track bar. You will need to lengthen that or get an adjustable one that will allow you to center the axle back under your jeep.

mudslut
12-30-2013, 03:38 PM
I see. Just for your information, lets have some Suspension 101.

First, you need to know how much lift you have. Here is a link to explain how to do that.

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8144

After you figure that out, you need to know you have "short arms". That is front suspension links that use the stock frame mounts. Long arms will attach back by the transmission cross member and look like either of these long arms and will be around 32" long.

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/Build%20Stuff/IMG_1316.jpg
ok its a short arm can I lengthen the short arm all the arms as needed to get this to work or custom longarm ???????:pray: this is off rd only
The lower arm uses a short stock length top link, the upper is for a true three link.

The limit of practical lift on short arms is at 5". Above that the angle of the lower link is a little steep for good suspension movement when hitting bumps. It can be done, and some have done it, I just don't consider it practical. You can still use your short arms at that height if you use a drop bracket available from Rusty's. Otherwise you would be prudent to get a long arm kit. The highest practical lift is 6.5". Taller lifts should need steering upgrades because the tie rod ends will not handle the droop without damage.

mudslut
12-30-2013, 03:58 PM
:xjtalk:looks like all I need is two inches longer and all lines up!!!!!!:smiley-scared003:

4.3LXJ
12-30-2013, 04:04 PM
I don't think you will find replacement control arms that much longer unless they are adjustable

mudslut
12-31-2013, 07:58 AM
lots off welding headed my way.........I love it

mudslut
01-01-2014, 08:38 AM
:bacondance:
I don't think you will find replacement control arms that much longer unless they are adjustable

sleeve and weld all arms drop the t case and install a droped steering arm from ebay 63$$$

mudslut
01-01-2014, 08:44 AM
can anyone tell me if this wont wrk ./...,. all I need is two inch longer on the arms going to cut them and sleeve them 2 inches...drop the t case 1 inch instale a droped steering arm im thinking should be good or true long arms ( hm made )......wont be to much more but if I can get away with stock locations better for me..................

4.3LXJ
01-01-2014, 10:02 AM
You could, but it would be better to replace the whole tube. The lower arm in my pic was built by me from scratch

mudslut
01-06-2014, 07:17 AM
:Ddone with the lift 7 inch every thing works like it should took it out on a test run love it.............;)

4.3LXJ
01-06-2014, 09:29 AM
:worthlesspics:

mudslut
01-06-2014, 05:08 PM
:camera: pics coming soooooooon