PDA

View Full Version : Just Empty Every Pocket

93xj97347
12-15-2013, 03:12 AM
Between 2 weeks ago and today my jeep has left me stranded on the side of the road twice. 2 weeks ago I had 2 separate transmission lines blow on me and ended up costing $75 per tow home plus $100 in parts. Tonight my harmonic balancer decided to fall apart costing a $250 dollar tow bill and $50 in parts. That's $550 in 2 weeks. Now I'm just trying to decide if I want to sell it or fix it or shoot it. What do y'all think? Not to many more parts and it will be a new jeep. But its still unreliable and I can't have that when my drive to and from work can be 50 to 150 round trip

bigjim350
12-15-2013, 03:28 AM
I love my Jeep, but would never use it as a daily driver. Yes the big parts are reliable on them, such as the engine and trans. But the small parts on em do tend to go out quite often. If you do shoot it up, please take vid!

Mudderoy
12-15-2013, 08:16 AM
Between 2 weeks ago and today my jeep has left me stranded on the side of the road twice. 2 weeks ago I had 2 separate transmission lines blow on me and ended up costing $75 per tow home plus $100 in parts. Tonight my harmonic balancer decided to fall apart costing a $250 dollar tow bill and $50 in parts. That's $550 in 2 weeks. Now I'm just trying to decide if I want to sell it or fix it or shoot it. What do y'all think? Not to many more parts and it will be a new jeep. But its still unreliable and I can't have that when my drive to and from work can be 50 to 150 round trip

I've had mine since 1998. I have been towed twice. Once at 9 years old mark and once about a year ago. The water pump bearing gave out and the shaft was at an angle. Wheel bearing went out and the front passenger wheel and tire were shaking violently.

My harmonic balancer came apart as well, but I replaced it in a parking lot then made it home.

Frankly my Jeep Cherokee has stranded me far fewer times than any other vehicle I've ever owned. So what I'm saying is there's hope! :D

Oh check into a Triple A membership. I have it for me and my wife 100 mile towing for $125 a year(?)

4.3LXJ
12-15-2013, 09:47 AM
Sounds like you need to carry some tools. That harmonic balancer could have been fixed in a parking lot

pvt.tadpolxj
12-15-2013, 10:09 AM
Hello everybody...Glad to be here today. Yea these jeep's can be a high maintenance vehicle, but when you are a wrencher cost's are not to bad...:patriot::patriot::patriot:

ParadiseXJ
12-15-2013, 10:41 AM
Every year I reluctantly re-new my "AAA Premier" membership for $160 for my wife and myself in any of our 4 vehicles. I HATE paying it. However, every single year I call for a tow, a jump, keys locked in car etc.

Our local tow guys charge $80...just to show up. Then it's another $80 to hook it up and tow it up to 5 miles. It's $40 a mile after that.

AAA Premier covers 4 calls for a jump, 5 gallons of gas, lock outs, towing up to 200 miles for $0.00. Each time I call them I remember paying that bill. Well worth it, pays for itself in one visit.

...and the tools thing. You really don't need to bring every tool you own, just a "trip bag".

P.S. Moderators: is there a way to NOT have the dollar signs show up as a "smilie"??

Brasscatz
12-15-2013, 10:48 AM
One thing that most people don't know is that your insurance company usually offers FREE roadside assistance/towing as part of your policy. I've used it several times usually to tow my wife's Jeep to the body shop after it's been hit or more recently to tow it up to the dealership when it was in limp mode. Cost me nothing more than my insurance payment.

P.S. Moderators: is there a way to NOT have the dollar signs show up as a "smilie"??

Don't think so unless Tony turns it off all together.

93xj97347
12-15-2013, 11:41 AM
The harmonic balancer is 2 pieces with a piece of rubber in between but now most of the rubber is gone so I couldn't fix it in the parking lot. I called all the part stores nearby and none had a replacement.
I had roadside assistance through my insurance company but it only allowed 15 miles of free towing. I'm gonna look into getting AAA here soon

Mudderoy
12-15-2013, 11:50 AM
Every year I reluctantly re-new my "AAA Premier" membership for $160 for my wife and myself in any of our 4 vehicles. I HATE paying it. However, every single year I call for a tow, a jump, keys locked in car etc.

Our local tow guys charge $80...just to show up. Then it's another $80 to hook it up and tow it up to 5 miles. It's $40 a mile after that.

AAA Premier covers 4 calls for a jump, 5 gallons of gas, lock outs, towing up to 200 miles for $0.00. Each time I call them I remember paying that bill. Well worth it, pays for itself in one visit.

...and the tools thing. You really don't need to bring every tool you own, just a "trip bag".

I got it mainly for my wife. I work an hour away from home and no telling where she'll be when she brakes down. She left the KC lights on when she was visiting my Mom in Baytown. I told her to call AAA, they showed up in 45 minutes, gave her a jump and she came home.

I may extend the coverage to my daughters soon, but generally they are within 5 miles of home with college and work. Of course my wife can travel to where they are, call AAA since it covers US and any vehicle we are in, at least that's what I remember reading.

93xj97347
12-15-2013, 12:10 PM
Yeah I'm checking it out now. Just waiting to see how much it is for 2 vehicles

XJ Wheeler
12-15-2013, 09:00 PM
I've had mine since 1998. I have been towed twice. Once at 9 years old mark and once about a year ago. The water pump bearing gave out and the shaft was at an angle. Wheel bearing went out and the front passenger wheel and tire were shaking violently.

My harmonic balancer came apart as well, but I replaced it in a parking lot then made it home.

Frankly my Jeep Cherokee has stranded me far fewer times than any other vehicle I've ever owned. So what I'm saying is there's hope! :D

Oh check into a Triple A membership. I have it for me and my wife 100 mile towing for $125 a year(?)

Mines never left me stranded in over 9 years. Once it had shut off at a stop sign but i had just replaced the coil and didn't push the connector all the way in. After we pushed it out of the way i found it, fixed it and it fired right up. Also, I've had two calipers lock up at separate occasions. But i was max a mile away from home both times (Thank God).

And mines gonna be 22 yrs old in April. Rust is my bigger issue... :rolleyes:

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

93xj97347
12-15-2013, 11:37 PM
I wish rust was my biggest issue. I built it to wheel and so far all my wheeling money go to fix the thing. My only rust is in the rocker panels. Was gonna cut them out and weld in 2x4 steel but like I said all my money goes to fixing it

XJ Wheeler
12-16-2013, 12:28 AM
I wish rust was my biggest issue. I built it to wheel and so far all my wheeling money go to fix the thing. My only rust is in the rocker panels. Was gonna cut them out and weld in 2x4 steel but like I said all my money goes to fixing it

I hear ya man! Had those vehicles before that just have something wrong one after another. But like ya said, once you get done it'll basically be new. Hope things turn around for ya.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

93xj97347
12-16-2013, 02:18 AM
Just got it home. It seems to be doing fine