PDA

View Full Version : The Jeep Bug Bites Again

abebehrmann
12-10-2013, 03:58 PM
Well guys, I guess it was inevitable, but after a few years of me pointing out Jeeps and talking nonstop about my own since I bought it, my girlfriend surprised me and said that she didn't like her car anymore and she wants a Jeep of her own. I first made sure she didn't want a Compass or a Patriot, which she doesn't (Thank God), before trying to talk her into getting an XJ for herself. I guess the last year of me gushing over how cool the XJ is didn't work, she has her heart set on a Wrangler that she can drive around in the Florida sunshine with no doors.

I would like any and all advice as to which year and models we should shoot for. Her only stipulations are it must have 2 doors and must have an automatic transmission. I personally prefer the TJ because I know the 4.0L is bulletproof and I know I can fix just about anything that could go wrong on it (Plus they're a whole lot cheaper these days :D). I don't know much about the JK. I've heard we should steer clear of the 3.8L engine and shoot for a '12+ with the 3.6L. Are there any automatic transmissions we should avoid?

Any information you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated! :patriot:

4.3LXJ
12-10-2013, 04:14 PM
All the Wranglers up to 04 I think had the 4.0. But personally, for her use I would say stay away from the YJ. They were not as comfortable and don't have as much aftermarket support as the TJ. Like the SJ, I think 98 and 99 were the best years.

Brasscatz
12-10-2013, 04:15 PM
Meh, just go straight TJ all the way. Can't really go wrong. Just make sure it's in good working order, those things are way too expensive for what they are. TJ is still one of the best wranglers.

OrangeXJ
12-10-2013, 04:17 PM
I have 97 TJ and love it there is so many things you can do to them as with all wranglers

cantab27
12-10-2013, 06:33 PM
so it is true ...people only buy wranglers for there wifes .....:D