PDA

View Full Version : Off Road GPS

denverd1
12-10-2013, 10:50 AM
I know there are a couple apps for smartphones. I worry about losing signal when wheeling places like Barnwell or Shiloh Ridge. Both are a couple thousand acres and I simply don't know my way around them enough to trust that alone.

Any of you using separate GPS units? Simply tracking waypoints would be a step in the right direction. Some downloadable maps would be cool, but I don't think its entirely necessary, just need a way to mark a couple things. Like where front gate and any other noteworthy landmarks.

4.3LXJ
12-10-2013, 11:25 AM
I use the smart phone app Back Country Navigator. You never loose the satellite signal. I don't know about other apps, but you set the way point when you get there. As far as loosing the signal, I use the app to check out where I am going before I get there. So all the maps for the area are already in the phone. However even if you don't have the maps, it will track you and put the maps in even later. It is just a mater of being prepared before you get there

graverobberjk
12-10-2013, 11:33 AM
I use the smart phone app Back Country Navigator. You never loose the satellite signal. I don't know about other apps, but you set the way point when you get there. As far as loosing the signal, I use the app to check out where I am going before I get there. So all the maps for the area are already in the phone. However even if you don't have the maps, it will track you and put the maps in even later. It is just a mater of being prepared before you get there

My Jeeper SAR team requires us to have stand alone units because of the satalite signal issues in the back country...but I will have to check out that app and see how it does on our next roll out...that would be awesome and much less expensive than a garmin if it does...thank you for the info on the app!

4.3LXJ
12-10-2013, 11:37 AM
You can download a free trial. One nice thing about this app is that the developer is constantly upgrading features for it and has a help desk too. Maps are free, unlike other GPS and you can use several free map sources for your maps. I receive periodic emails from him on improvements and responses to questions etc.

graverobberjk
12-10-2013, 11:40 AM
You can download a free trial. One nice thing about this app is that the developer is constantly upgrading features for it and has a help desk too. Maps are free, unlike other GPS and you can use several free map sources for your maps. I receive periodic emails from him on improvements and responses to questions etc.

and honestly if it works for you in the places up there around Chico without losing signal it is worth a look, I know when im up there my cell Phone is only good for a paper weight when im up on dads mountian and only 50/50 down in town lol...thanks again

cantab27
12-10-2013, 06:36 PM
gps that there things be for yota drivers ,,,,,,,,,had a early one few years back ..kinda kept telling us to get out the river and find first road .....;)

Brasscatz
12-10-2013, 07:28 PM
gps that there things be for yota drivers ,,,,,,,,,had a early one few years back ..kinda kept telling us to get out the river and find first road .....;)

:smiley-laughing021: So let me guess... you threw it overboard ;)

Brasscatz
12-10-2013, 07:33 PM
One of the off-road parks down here says they have the trails on the "Waze" app, but may I just couldn't figure it out cuz it didn't help me at all.

Firemanray
12-10-2013, 08:09 PM
Hand held Garmin's are pretty cheap. You can set them with a "back track" setting which you can follow to find your way back. You can build your own "maps" if you will with them as well.

I've only needed one at night. I drove in circles at Shilo during the night a couple of years ago . All the trails "loop", problem is some of them loop back into themselves. It's kind of unnerving when you keep seeing the same tree over and over.

denverd1
12-11-2013, 09:12 AM
Ray, how far is Shiloh from you? We need to meet up there for a ride one day/wknd.

Yea, its more of a safety net than something I would use regularly. I've done the same thing at night on atv's. It would be nice to be able to venture off and not have to worry about going back the same way.

4.3LXJ
12-11-2013, 09:36 AM
One thing that is nice about what I use is that it is a log of where I have been off road. There is so much around here that you can't hardly remember it all.

bulrid8
12-11-2013, 12:39 PM
My Jeeper SAR team requires us to have stand alone units because of the satalite signal issues in the back country...but I will have to check out that app and see how it does on our next roll out...that would be awesome and much less expensive than a garmin if it does...thank you for the info on the app!

Huh? Even the stand alone Garmins use the sats. They are the same ones that all GPS uses. Only way you should lose sat signal is if you are underground or under heavy tree cover.

Back country Navigator works very well. you can download maps to SD card and have them whether you have cell service or not.

denverd1
12-11-2013, 01:40 PM
wow! downloaded BCN. exactly what I wanted.

Thx Steve!

4.3LXJ
12-11-2013, 01:41 PM
I really like it

graverobberjk
12-11-2013, 01:55 PM
Huh? Even the stand alone Garmins use the sats. They are the same ones that all GPS uses. Only way you should lose sat signal is if you are underground or under heavy tree cover.

Back country Navigator works very well. you can download maps to SD card and have them whether you have cell service or not.

thats what I said, but the boss said we have to have one other than our phones so thats what I gotta do...but im definitly going to look into this BCN and try to sell him on that idea first.

bulrid8
12-11-2013, 02:02 PM
thats what I said, but the boss said we have to have one other than our phones so thats what I gotta do...but im definitly going to look into this BCN and try to sell him on that idea first.

In vehicle, BCN works great on a tablet. Bigger screen, easier to use. I have a galaxy 10". Has a built in GPS. I would rather have the 7". It would fit better in vehicle. But I got the 10" for free.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
12-11-2013, 02:46 PM
When you guys get BCN, make sure you have a car dock and are able to charge with it. A half hour of GPS will kill a battery. Besides, the car dock puts it right in front of you

Firemanray
12-11-2013, 04:50 PM
Ray, how far is Shiloh from you? We need to meet up there for a ride one day/wknd.

Yea, its more of a safety net than something I would use regularly. I've done the same thing at night on atv's. It would be nice to be able to venture off and not have to worry about going back the same way.

I'm about 1.5 hrs south toward Houston. Not a bad trip. I haven't been in a while it would be fun to go again.

denverd1
12-17-2013, 10:17 AM
was with about 8 other jeeps on sunday, so didn't have the chance to use BCN very much at all. Its about an hour drive so I thought I'd fire up the app and get familiar with it on the way. WOW!

I was overwhelmed with features and options and all sorts of gadgetry I wasn't expecting. I'm sure if I spent some time messing with it things would be a little more clear. But there's literally TONS of options. like what map service to use, what type of map and all sorts of stuff I didn't feel comfortable messing with while I was driving. I picked US Forestry maps b/c it sounded good? And it seemed to do a good job of locating me and the area around me. I then searched and found the OHV park.

Steve, are there any cliff's notes tips you have? like what map service is best? seems like one could spend hours just fiddling with it. definitely worth the $$.

TIA

4.3LXJ
12-17-2013, 10:23 AM
US Topo maps - ArcGis shows the greatest detail. But you can also use more than one map source. Here is the latest update from the developer on that.

Hello, everyone. As you start your winter adventures. I wanted to leave some quick tips on using multiple maps.

Choosing Multiple Maps
The first thing to know about using multiple maps is that you can do it.
When you first start using the app, you will be prompted to choose a map source. If you choose wrong, or just want to try others, don't think you are stuck with one. Go to the Layers Menu (a button that looks like a stack on the on the top of the screen). In that menu, you will see a drop down that lists your most recently used map sources.

There is another button called "More Map Sources". This will take you back to the full list of map sources. You can then switch to another one. By default, the center of the screen stays in place, so if you switch from a map of Italy to a map of Spain, you might also need to use the search feature to recenter in Spain.

We plan to revise the layers menu slightly, since it has been confusing to some. In the meantime, it is the answer to some of the questions we get like how to turn "Dynamic Loading" back on.

Downloading Multiple Maps of the Same Area
I would like to share a power user tip that will be helpful to some of you. Suppose you have marked an area, then pushed the download button. The rectangle(s) you have marked are still on the screen, and you would like them applied to a different map source. On this menu, there is a choice called Map Layer. You can switch to a new map source as before, and then, without marking anything, push the download button again. This will queue up the download after the one that is already taking place.

4.3LXJ
12-17-2013, 10:28 AM
After all that, I would add that this is really a simple App to use unless you are a geek. Just get your Satellite, then touch the dot with the four points of the compass at the top of the screen. If you choose How my location center, then it will find you on the map of your choice. Then set record track. Then it just works. You can touch the + and - to zoom in and out while driving if you want, but not necessary once you find the scale you want. If you want to check the trail ahead, you can move the map and then go to the top and choose location center again. Pretty easy to use

denverd1
12-17-2013, 12:12 PM
After all that, I would add that this is really a simple App to use unless you are a geek. Just get your Satellite, then touch the dot with the four points of the compass at the top of the screen. If you choose How my location center, then it will find you on the map of your choice. Then set record track. Then it just works. You can touch the + and - to zoom in and out while driving if you want, but not necessary once you find the scale you want. If you want to check the trail ahead, you can move the map and then go to the top and choose location center again. Pretty easy to use

THATs what I was looking for. Thanks for your help

mudslut
12-18-2013, 09:03 AM
one word........( EBAY )

denverd1
12-18-2013, 09:51 AM
one word........( EBAY )

for what?? Handheld GPS?

This is an app that works on smartphones....

Brasscatz
02-01-2014, 03:32 PM
I came across a free app today in the Amazon App Store. It's called ViewRanger Outdoors GPS - Topo Maps, Trail Navigation and Route

I've downloaded it, but have yet to use it. Be interesting to see how it does.

cantab27
02-05-2014, 12:22 PM
not gps but kinda cool.........

http://www.you4wd.com/

denverd1
09-25-2014, 04:52 PM
Steve, getting ready to test this thing out on Saturday. I'm a few other threads about downloading map info. Found the 'record track' feature. Is that enough to find your way around? Couldn't find the OHV when I searched BCN for the park....

Or should I download more detail (I think thats what I downloading) of the OHV?

4.3LXJ
09-25-2014, 05:48 PM
You have to find the area the OHV is in on the map. To find yourself at your house for instance, just hit record track and it will find you on a map. Then you can end the recording if you want, and might as well. You know where you live. Then zoom into whatever resolution you need to find the OHV park. Then find the resolution you want for your recording of your trip. As you move through the park, it will automatically download whatever tiles it needs. Be sure to get surrounding areas incase you wander. When you get there, hit record track again and enjoy. Added functionality, you can record individual trails by starting a new recording each time and then saving the screen at the end of each trail. Cumulatively it will show the whole trip. But then you can access with your computer in the BCNAV folder and download to your computer for instance if you want to show individual trails for a writeup

rabies
09-26-2014, 01:06 PM
i need a solution for this too.
i had BCN. very very cool useful app but....will only work on the phone if it has service.
i dont get data on my phone anymore :/
i think a garmin etrex is the ticket. oldschool and specific not as fancy though

4.3LXJ
09-26-2014, 03:04 PM
True, I guess you need to be able to get data on the phone for it to work