PDA

View Full Version : Tools for the trail

gary63
12-09-2013, 10:32 AM
http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/i/spin/image/spin_prod_666169901?hei=600&wid=600&op_sharpen=1&qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0 just wandering if anyone have or used the craftsmen universal machanics tool set
it looks like it would work good in the jeep for tail runs. If there is a place for tool review or to tell about you can move this just lot me know so I can look them up.thanks

xj4life2
12-09-2013, 10:51 AM
Most of my personnel tools are Craftsman so I have to say there good

NW99XJ
12-09-2013, 11:55 AM
Looks like a decent set.
Craftsman quality, so you cant go wrong.
Carrying case is a bonus.
No deep well sockets, but you have wrenches, so that may be ok.
Carry a breaker bar, and a tool bag of some odds and ends type of tools, and you'll be set!

4.3LXJ
12-09-2013, 12:30 PM
I carry Craftsman tools since most of mine are that brand. It is a good starter kit and would handle most jobs. Also needed are a pry bar and big hammer

graverobberjk
12-09-2013, 01:48 PM
I grew up on craftsman tools and now that I got my own work space thats what most of my set up will consist of.

gary63
12-09-2013, 02:10 PM
Looks like a decent set.
Craftsman quality, so you cant go wrong.
Carrying case is a bonus.
No deep well sockets, but you have wrenches, so that may be ok.
Carry a breaker bar, and a tool bag of some odds and ends type of tools, and you'll be set!

you don't need deep socket there is a hole so you can use a ratchet on a4foot shaft and they fit onto http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/nb_10155_12602_NB_DRTV+Universal

Brasscatz
12-09-2013, 03:07 PM
you don't need deep socket there is a hole so you can use a ratchet on a4foot shaft and they fit onto http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/nb_10155_12602_NB_DRTV+Universal

oooo! Me likey!

nickyg
12-09-2013, 03:27 PM
And the case is in the right color.

Carves
12-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Looks like a handy set.

Just as a thought tho ... and depending on your needs/wants,

... You might be better off with the set below ... and fill up the empty storage area with the extra, XJ, spanner/socket sizes like 16mm, 18mm, 13/16th and so on.

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00924964000P

gary63
12-09-2013, 03:56 PM
yap red for repair lol :rolleye0012: it can be painted to the good color.
What I like is it is deep shallow sockets all in one and they supposed too fit other torks rounded nuts and bolts and the wrenches are ratch type all in a case. I may have to get it and see how strong and how will they work.

graverobberjk
12-12-2013, 07:56 AM
Looks like a handy set.

Just as a thought tho ... and depending on your needs/wants,

... You might be better off with the set below ... and fill up the empty storage area with the extra, XJ, spanner/socket sizes like 16mm, 18mm, 13/16th and so on.

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00924964000P

now that set right there is nice enough to make it on my christmas list this year lol:D

xj-jake
12-12-2013, 09:15 AM
I like the NAPA evercraft tools also. I have 2 sets, one mobile and one that stays in the garage. Same warranty as craftsman and in my opinion a little nicer quality in the wrench and ratchet department.

4.3LXJ
12-12-2013, 10:01 AM
I like the NAPA evercraft tools also. I have 2 sets, one mobile and one that stays in the garage. Same warranty as craftsman and in my opinion a little nicer quality in the wrench and ratchet department.

Those tools are made in the same factory and many times you can get a NAPA dealer to honor the warranty on the Craftsman. However you won't get a Craftsman tool back.

bad luck
12-12-2013, 09:46 PM
Aren't most of the newer Craftsman tools made in China now? I heard that they were. I don't like to buy Chinese made products if I can help it. But it gets harder and harder to find American made. I do buy old tools on ebay once in a while, normally not snap on though, even used they are too expensive. But I like old craftsman tools, and proto,and almost any old american made tools. I have a full set of Bonney wrenches that I really like. And a set of Britool offset box wrenches that are nice too. Those are made in jolly olde England.

nateyz2000
12-12-2013, 11:58 PM
Aren't most of the newer Craftsman tools made in China now? I heard that they were. I don't like to buy Chinese made products if I can help it. But it gets harder and harder to find American made. I do buy old tools on ebay once in a while, normally not snap on though, even used they are too expensive. But I like old craftsman tools, and proto,and almost any old american made tools. I have a full set of Bonney wrenches that I really like. And a set of Britool offset box wrenches that are nice too. Those are made in jolly olde England.

I did research on this a while back because I hated the fact that my American made tools were now Chinese... So what I found is they are cast/forged in the US, and finished in China... That's what I came up with...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Brasscatz
12-13-2013, 03:00 PM
that doesn't make much sense... I assume they do that for the cheaper labor in China, yet shipping them there then back seems idiotic!

bigjim350
12-13-2013, 10:59 PM
Craftsmen tools are decent tools. I have an assortment of brands, craftsman, matco, and some snapon. However, those tools do not leave my shop. I would NEVER take my good tools wheeling. I keep a tool box in my jeep filled with walmart and other cheap tools. I have lost so many tools while wheeling in many different ways. Loan em out to somebody, drop em in the mud, try to toss it to somebody over a creek and dont make it. Not to mention "modifying them on the trail to make it work". Why take a high quality tool when wheeling? You dont really use em that much, so just buy the cheapest you can so you dont cry too much when it gets lost or ruined. Now I am all for having quality tools in the shop.

92warwagon
12-14-2013, 12:24 AM
http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/i/spin/image/spin_prod_666169901?hei=600&wid=600&op_sharpen=1&qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0 just wandering if anyone have or used the craftsmen universal machanics tool set
it looks like it would work good in the jeep for tail runs. If there is a place for tool review or to tell about you can move this just lot me know so I can look them up.thanks

goods tools

XJ Wheeler
12-14-2013, 01:02 AM
Craftsmen tools are decent tools. I have an assortment of brands, craftsman, matco, and some snapon. However, those tools do not leave my shop. I would NEVER take my good tools wheeling. I keep a tool box in my jeep filled with walmart and other cheap tools. I have lost so many tools while wheeling in many different ways. Loan em out to somebody, drop em in the mud, try to toss it to somebody over a creek and dont make it. Not to mention "modifying them on the trail to make it work". Why take a high quality tool when wheeling? You dont really use em that much, so just buy the cheapest you can so you dont cry too much when it gets lost or ruined. Now I am all for having quality tools in the shop.

I only have one set, and its a crazy assortment that was originally a craftsman socket/wrench mechanics type set. But there's no differentiation because i have no extras.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

gary63
12-14-2013, 08:51 AM
you can't have to many tools I have tools I lone out tools I will hammer on or use cheaters on and then some good one. I goto yard sales swopmetes and HF and on sale and pick up alot of them. Then we have a tool shed is what we call it .It is a list of tool that people in are group. (friends and family) that have and will loan them so other we all pitch in to maintain them witch keep cost down and everyone save money.

nickyg
12-14-2013, 08:55 AM
I have lost so many tools

Some of my best stuff I found on the ground at pick and pull. Thanks guys!!

gary63
12-14-2013, 09:30 AM
thanks for founding then and I can even describe them wrenches and sockets LOL:D some of the found stuff works best the problem is if you loose it or brake
it you can't ever replace them.:bang: